Malazan Empire: WHEEL OF TIME TV series watching thread (spoilers!) - Malazan Empire

• 32 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

WHEEL OF TIME TV series watching thread (spoilers!) (was: 'So, the WHEEL OF TIME TV series is a go at Sony' thread

#461 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 29 December 2021 - 08:01 PM

Spoiler

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#462 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 30 December 2021 - 12:53 AM

I'm only three episodes in, but I mean it's quite apparent with what tone they were setting (even beginning with the first episode). The only incongruity that I found confusing is Mat's parents. They should have reversed their roles. The mom should have been the philanderer and the dad should have been the despondent drunk. That may have been a bridge too far though and really awakened the ire of the woke gestapo.

#463 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 30 December 2021 - 07:43 AM

I get the point Cause (and others) are making, but

Spoiler

- Wyrd biđ ful arćd -

#464 User is offline   Briar King 

• High Fist
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 30 December 2021 - 09:02 PM

Drive by bye bye king on my dumb horse

#465 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 01 January 2022 - 10:22 PM

View Post(BK), on 30 December 2021 - 09:02 PM, said:

A lot more fun than the actual episode :D

#466 User is online   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 01 January 2022 - 11:00 PM

Just watched episode 7&8 and I would agree with Wert's speculation.

I also think

Spoiler

I'm very content with the series. It's an adaptation and the expectation of a word for word recreation is unrealistic. They badly need to expand to 10 episodes a season to stop relying on bullet point info dumps and get more of the flavour in. I can understand the rationale of the decisions they've made and how that works with a few loose ends to tie up.

Standout for me acting wise is Zoe Robins smashing it. CGI needs a bit of work, it will age badly but I can live with it. LoTR still holds up well but this won't...

Perrin gets stuck being worse than he is in the books, and I say that as #teamperrin. He and Mat needed more episodes to bulk them out and get more emotional resonance in between them and other characters.

I agree with BK on
Spoiler

Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#467 User is offline   Briar King 

• High Fist
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 01 January 2022 - 11:42 PM

View PostChance, on 01 January 2022 - 10:22 PM, said:

A lot more fun than the actual episode :D

He actually did one for every ep I discovered after posting that. Quite funny imo. Thought about posting them also.

#468 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 04 January 2022 - 05:18 PM

I need to get caught up on the thread but watched this over Christmas.

Very average I thought, some good eps but it felt rushed. I think the show can definitely grow though and hopefully it uses this season as a learning curve. Never a fan of the books.

One thing I HATE though is the look of the show, It reminds me of Legend of the Seeker, it just looks cheap and all too clean I guess?! Mainly looking at the costumes here but there was one scene in the woods and the ground is absolutely immaculate, as in what you would expect to see at a maintained Buckingham Palace, really took me out of the show that shot did I was like WTF.

I'll stick with it though.

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#469 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 04 January 2022 - 06:33 PM

Adaptations can be great. HP being one of the best.

I didn't really like the show, it felt rushed. The magic looked poor and ill explained. The character leaving the show didn't help obvs as he was played well. The acting was good but the writing poor I think. I'm hoping for better season 2.
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#470 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 08 January 2022 - 11:54 AM

Hmmm, well it's very, very obvious now that this most definitely isn't the books.
I'll give season 2 a shot but if they change it much more and have more stupid things in there just for the sake of it, I'm out.

Seriously, who the hell has a fortification with dirty great big openings low down in the side facing the enemy?
There's also a lot of jumps from A to about G without B to F in between, plot-wise.

I will give them props though for
Spoiler

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#471 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 08 January 2022 - 01:22 PM

For me that wasn't made obvious enough, went straight over wife's head

#472 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 08 January 2022 - 06:04 PM

I thought it was average overall. I dont care what they change about the books, I just want to enjoy a good fantasy series, and i think they'll need to improve storytelling or pacing to get there.

I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#473 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 15 January 2022 - 06:00 PM

It was good, not great, but they need to fix the pacing. 8 episodes just wasn’t enough.
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#474 User is online   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 22 July 2022 - 08:03 AM

https://twitter.com/...EJteKaoxJg&s=19

Ohhhhhh
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#475 User is offline   Briar King 

• High Fist
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 18 August 2022 - 07:44 PM

I keep waiting for those Origins eps. Only good thing to come out of this adaptation imo.

#476 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 23 August 2022 - 12:10 PM

Okay, I JUST finally started watching this....and I fucking inexplicably LOVE IT?

Like none of the changes bother me, and I feel like it's one of the best adaptations to a series I've read....like you could knock me over with a feather at this point.

I was expecting to hate this, and I am totally the opposite.

All apologies to Rafe Judkins...I think he nailed a tone and vibe that works for this series in this medium.

This is better than GOT, and HOUSE OF THE DRAGON so far, and definitely better than SHANNARA and LEGEND OF THE SEEKER....

Like the detail on the wood in the Winespring Inn was exactly how I pictured it....I know that's a tiny thing to note, but yeah...shows you the level I'm enjoying.

Also, I'm midway through Episode 2 and I want to point out that I was RIGHT ON THE MONEY for when Shadar Logoth shows up.

View PostAbyss, on 08 September 2021 - 02:02 AM, said:

View PostBriar King, on 06 September 2021 - 08:17 PM, said:

100 pgs in and still in Edmonds Field in aftermath of attack. Surely I'm on ep 2 by now. Can condense all the bumpkin stuff and probably still be in Ep 1 here.

they won't do it, but i'm reasonably sure the first 3rd of bk 1 could be done in one ep.

I bet they make it to that haunted city (what was the name?) by latest mid-episode 2. There is going to be a LOT of condensing.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 23 August 2022 - 12:17 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#477 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 23 August 2022 - 12:21 PM

Its okay to be optimistic for the first few episodes...

Don't worry later on you get some atrocious adaptation decisions, very poor CGI, hopelessly bad acting and so on to fix it :)

This post has been edited by Chance: 23 August 2022 - 12:22 PM

#478 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 23 August 2022 - 12:32 PM

View PostChance, on 23 August 2022 - 12:21 PM, said:

Its okay to be optimistic for the first few episodes...

Don't worry later on you get some atrocious adaptation decisions, very poor CGI, hopelessly bad acting and so on to fix it :)

This feels like a needlessly harsh comment. You should know that it takes a LOT to make me dislike TV shows like this...I may talk some shit about it, but I still liked SHANNARA (for instance) and XENA is one of ht fave shows of all time....so I doubt I'll feel as you do when I'm done.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#479 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 24 August 2022 - 05:05 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 23 August 2022 - 12:32 PM, said:

This feels like a needlessly harsh comment. You should know that it takes a LOT to make me dislike TV shows like this...I may talk some shit about it, but I still liked SHANNARA (for instance) and XENA is one of ht fave shows of all time....so I doubt I'll feel as you do when I'm done.

Nah harsh is those critics who did very long and quite fun explainations per episode of why it is crap. I was cautiously optimistic for the first few episodes, but maybe if I had expected something like Xena then maybe it would have been okayish. This however is WoT with a budget per episode that probably beat several/all? seasons of Xena so I expected a bit more. Of course at least some of the harsh feelings is that I could see this adaptation doing the story some kind of justice with just some...well alot of small but significant changes.

This post has been edited by Chance: 24 August 2022 - 05:08 AM

#480 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 24 August 2022 - 12:06 PM

View PostChance, on 24 August 2022 - 05:05 AM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 23 August 2022 - 12:32 PM, said:

Nah harsh is those critics who did very long and quite fun explainations per episode of why it is crap. I was cautiously optimistic for the first few episodes, but maybe if I had expected something like Xena then maybe it would have been okayish. This however is WoT with a budget per episode that probably beat several/all? seasons of Xena so I expected a bit more. Of course at least some of the harsh feelings is that I could see this adaptation doing the story some kind of justice with just some...well alot of small but significant changes.

Well I'm halfway through the season now and I still love it intensely. I have nothing to complain about. So maybe I'm just built different? ;)

Share this topic:

• 32 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users