Malazan Empire: WHEEL OF TIME TV series watching thread (spoilers!) - Malazan Empire

• 32 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

WHEEL OF TIME TV series watching thread (spoilers!) (was: 'So, the WHEEL OF TIME TV series is a go at Sony' thread

#301 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 November 2021 - 04:22 AM

View Post<_>, on 20 November 2021 - 04:08 AM, said:

I think it’s going to be better to look at the show as one of the uncountable mirror worlds the books mentioned.

Rand al'Thor and the Multiverse of Madness?
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#302 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 20 November 2021 - 06:31 AM

Watched episode 1... seemed like they were really setting up the video game. Overall, felt like watching someone play a mediocre generic video game rpg....

Some of the special effects were so bad I literally lol'd.

Gave me more appreciation for GoT and The Witcher....

Hopefully it will get better though. Had maybe one or two good moments.

#303 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 20 November 2021 - 10:01 PM

So far so good imo. Agree with TRB pretty much down the line.
Spoiler

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#304 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 21 November 2021 - 06:29 PM

Not bad.
I'd say we're in for the first season anyway

#305 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 21 November 2021 - 06:45 PM

I can't tell if these reviews are positive or not, lol. Y'all are very lukewarm. Guess the best to say is give it a try, hmm?

Looks like what I'm reading.

This post has been edited by HoosierDaddy: 21 November 2021 - 06:46 PM

Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#306 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 21 November 2021 - 06:58 PM

give it a try.
if you're a WoT purist you'll probably hate it, but just as a TV show I think it stands up on its own just fine based on the first three eps

#307 User is offline   ContrarianMalazanReader 

• Fist

Posted 21 November 2021 - 09:18 PM

I'll wait until all episodes are available and binge watch the whole thing and decide if I like it or not. As stated before, I have no interest in reading the book series and will look up the differences between source material and adaptation later on.

#308 User is offline   Dadding 

• Shaved Knuckle in the Hole

Posted 22 November 2021 - 12:27 AM

Just watched the first three episodes, I loved them! And I was surprised but I think my girlfriend liked them even more than me.

I'm not sure if it was the frame rate or just the brightness or something, but some scenes had a weird modern feeling to them. Otherwise, so far it's basically like the books with most of the annoying stuff stripped out.

#309 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 22 November 2021 - 07:49 AM

If Mins trousers don't get progressively tighter to the point of absurdity the nerds will riot.

One thing that distressed me greatly, the only time Nyneaves braid saw any action was when the trollock dragged her about by it

#310 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 22 November 2021 - 07:57 AM

Watched the first to episodes with Laura last night. We did not like it, not at all.

I don't care about the changes, they're fine, and I definitely understand the need to polish some of the source material. To us the main issues were the at times extremely stilted dialogue, the bad special effects, and we at least found the camera work to be rather shoddy. And seriously we have the Witcher and Game of Thrones to show some decent sword fighting, so how in the world could anyone let that Tywin Lannister vs trollock fight slip through without serious revisions? It all felt a little cheap, which is somewhat weird considering how expensive the show is. Someone upthread also said it felt a little rushed while at the same time standing still, or something like that, and I agree completely.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#311 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 22 November 2021 - 08:21 AM

I wasn't fussed on the first episode changes until the Trollocs showed up and got everyone back on track.
I thought it got better by ep 3 and I'll hang out until the end of this season, but I don't see it going the distance at this rate given the lukewarm reviews from noobs and book fans alike. Not unless they really hit their stride in the next few eps. People and media companies have much less tolerance for waiting until it gets good these days, given the massive competition of quality product for our eye time.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#312 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 22 November 2021 - 01:59 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 22 November 2021 - 07:57 AM, said:

Watched the first to episodes with Laura last night. We did not like it, not at all.
To us the main issues were the at times extremely stilted dialogue, the bad special effects, and we at least found the camera work to be rather shoddy.

This is what my buddy said, that it feels like a CW-quality level from action, to sets to dialogue.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#313 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 22 November 2021 - 03:44 PM

What is the target audience? Is it a bit like GoT in feel, or does it have 'young adult' stamped all over it? Nothing wrong with either option of course, but if the latter I don't think it will be for me. The WoT books always had a bit more of a young adult vibe to me than GoT and MBotF, which is why I keep expecting some sort of Shannara Chronicles product.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#314 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 22 November 2021 - 05:26 PM

Watched episode 1 with Mr Not a Blacksmith. He hasn't read the books, and other than asking me a couple of questions he was fine with it all and wants to watch some more. Did say he felt the CGI was a bit janky and that they're getting away with it quite a lot with very quick camera cuts (agreed) but it didn't throw him out of it.

Not sure how to answer your question Gorefest. I think it's doing its best to get away from the YA feel, but at the moment it's getting bogged down in the fact the first book is such clear LOTR worship. Hopefully it'll settle down.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#315 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 22 November 2021 - 06:30 PM

I'm not a TV snob. I take everything on my own merit. I liked the first 3 episodes. I like to think of it as its own thing, not an adaptation of the books. Just like Harry Potter books vs film. Both good in their own right
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#316 User is offline   WhiskeyJackDaniels 

• Emperor

Posted 23 November 2021 - 05:48 PM

Just finished the first 3 books. Lots of differences from the books, even at a really basic level. Some of them I understand, some of them I don’t like, but I DO like that it shows they were willing to make big changes early on, because for the show to have any chance of remaining comprehensible to a TV audience past 1-2 seasons they will need to make a lot of changes.
So, you're the historian who survived the Chain of Dogs.
Actually, I didn't.

It seems you stand alone.
It was ever thus.

#317 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 24 November 2021 - 03:12 PM

Watched the first 3 last night. It was very much just ok. Not bad enough to stop watching and just ok enough to keep going.

I don’t care about changes. Although at the first shot of Emonds Field I did note that there were no thatched roofs, Unforgivable.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#318 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 24 November 2021 - 03:44 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 24 November 2021 - 03:12 PM, said:

Although at the first shot of Emonds Field I did note that there were no thatched roofs, Unforgivable.

Bro, that would upset me!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#319 User is offline   Avatar 

• High Fist

Posted 24 November 2021 - 06:37 PM

Watched ep 1 and 2 last 2 days. It was not bad, enjoyed it.

I was wondering, did anyone watch Goodkind's Legend of the Seeker, from 2008? I remember that I thought it was terrible. But on imdb, the rating is even higher than WoT, 7,6 vs 7,4. Was it not so bad?

#320 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 24 November 2021 - 06:54 PM

View PostAvatar, on 24 November 2021 - 06:37 PM, said:

I was wondering, did anyone watch Goodkind's Legend of the Seeker, from 2008? I remember that I thought it was terrible. But on imdb, the rating is even higher than WoT, 7,6 vs 7,4. Was it not so bad?

I watched it. It was bad, but it also was absolutely leaning into the Xena/Hercules vibe (made by the very same people in fact, including the composer from those shows Joseph LoDuca), and had scantily clad women in it to lure young people to watch. It wasn't a prestige show trying to be a serious fantasy adaptation. It knew it was a bad show and rolled about in the muck as a result.

Like watch this scene, both women have their cleavage out for titilation reasons.

So yeah, I can see why it has a higher rating simply because it was not trying to be more than the fantasy beef/cheesecake it was.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 24 November 2021 - 06:57 PM

Share this topic:

• 32 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users