Malazan Empire: WHEEL OF TIME TV series watching thread (spoilers!) - Malazan Empire

• 32 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

WHEEL OF TIME TV series watching thread (spoilers!) (was: 'So, the WHEEL OF TIME TV series is a go at Sony' thread

#181 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 03 September 2021 - 02:05 AM

Im due for a re-read. Only read throug them once, and most of those were over a decade ago.

The trailer doesnt fill me with excitement, but i'll still give it a go.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#182 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 03 September 2021 - 04:59 AM

View PostBriar King, on 02 September 2021 - 07:27 PM, said:

But it’s kinda required fantasy reading.

Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeh. Once, maybe. There's dozens of series we can replace it with in the canon if we were gonna define one for fantasy nerdism, though.

I say that mostly coz I'm an indefatigable fantasy nerd and had to nope out on the books, so I reject being rejected as a fantasy nerd on that basis. :p
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#183 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 03 September 2021 - 06:27 AM

I'm going to wait to see what any WoT sceptics on this thread say before deciding whether to get Amazon to watch this. The books did not do it for me. I think I quit around book 6 and it must have been coming up to 20 years ago. I can't remember much about it other than it was exceedingly annoying.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#184 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 03 September 2021 - 08:06 AM

I'm not attached enough to the books that major changes will bother me (if i remember well enough to spot them in the first place) - I read the series in the run up to the release of Memory of Light, read that, then gave my books to a friend who wanted to read them because I was safe in the knowledge I wouldn't ever want to re-read them. I'm prepared to give the first three episodes (they all drop on the same day, 19th November) a go and see how I feel about it.

Initial thoughts from just that trailer though:

1. It all looks oddly bright and colourful, but I suspect that's something that I'll get used to when watching a full episode. Given a choice between that and the episodes of GoT where you could barely see a damn thing, I'll take the odd brightness every time.

2. The weaving makes me think of bending in Avatar: The Last Airbender, and it's a mildly distracting "cannot unsee". Again, suspect my awareness of that would settle down.

3. Rosamund Pike sounds like Moiraine in my head, 100% on board with that casting. I am also excited to see Sophie Okenedo as Siuan as I think she's a great actress.

Mild spoiler for those who haven't read the whole series:

Spoiler

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 03 September 2021 - 08:10 AM

- Wyrd biđ ful arćd -

#185 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 03 September 2021 - 07:16 PM

View Postamphibian, on 02 September 2021 - 09:42 PM, said:

This is a "well actually" that doesn't connect to what CMR is expressing above.

CMR, I get what you feel and express here. I'm kinda tired of it too and it's been a joy to go find other books and shows that are elsewhere and elsewhen.

Not sure what you mean here. CMR said that WoT is another bog-standard medieval European fantasy, when it is not. You might think so from reading, maybe, the first book by itself, but even before the end of Book 1 they've travelled to a heavily Asian-inspired kingdom which draws on Japanese aesthetics, and they also draw on Buddhist and Hindu mythological and historical sources pretty quickly. They use Arab terminology as part of the Old Tongue and the naming conventions for many of the main antagonists, as well as exploring more traditional mythological ideas like the Green Man. The cities and kingdoms are much more obviously multi-ethnic than medieval Europe really was.

This post has been edited by Werthead: 03 September 2021 - 07:18 PM

Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#186 User is offline   ContrarianMalazanReader 

• Fist

Posted 03 September 2021 - 08:24 PM

View PostWerthead, on 03 September 2021 - 07:16 PM, said:

View Postamphibian, on 02 September 2021 - 09:42 PM, said:

This is a "well actually" that doesn't connect to what CMR is expressing above.

CMR, I get what you feel and express here. I'm kinda tired of it too and it's been a joy to go find other books and shows that are elsewhere and elsewhen.

Not sure what you mean here. CMR said that WoT is another bog-standard medieval European fantasy, when it is not. You might think so from reading, maybe, the first book by itself, but even before the end of Book 1 they've travelled to a heavily Asian-inspired kingdom which draws on Japanese aesthetics, and they also draw on Buddhist and Hindu mythological and historical sources pretty quickly. They use Arab terminology as part of the Old Tongue and the naming conventions for many of the main antagonists, as well as exploring more traditional mythological ideas like the Green Man. The cities and kingdoms are much more obviously multi-ethnic than medieval Europe really was.

I apologize for my ignorance, then.

I still have no interest in reading the books, because as I posted earlier, reading the MBotF was more than enough and have no desire to immerse myself in yet another fantasy saga that spans multiple thousand-page books.

#187 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 04 September 2021 - 08:02 PM

View PostContrarianMalazanReader, on 03 September 2021 - 08:24 PM, said:

I apologize for my ignorance, then.

I still have no interest in reading the books, because as I posted earlier, reading the MBotF was more than enough and have no desire to immerse myself in yet another fantasy saga that spans multiple thousand-page books.

Fair point, although I think even the most ardent WoT fan will admit the books are nowhere near as complex as Malazan, and certainly much less dense. There's just even a lot more pages to wade through.

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."

#188 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 05 September 2021 - 12:25 PM

WoT is just a bit more genteel easy read.
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#189 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 06 September 2021 - 10:29 PM

Would be hard for a well-funded and competently produced TV show these days to not be an improvement on the books....

Curious whether there's some worthwhile world-building, narrative, etc. there obscured by Robert Jordan's writing. Though he was good iirc at creating cliffhangers... after boring the living fuck out of me. As soon as it starts getting interesting, cut to something completely different (and usually boring) until you forget about what you were interested in!

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 06 September 2021 - 10:30 PM

#190 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 07 September 2021 - 12:18 AM

I’m looking forward to it. Obviously I’d prefer something more gritty like black company or Malaz, but I think today, we need this type of fantasy.
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#191 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 07 September 2021 - 07:15 AM

Can never have enough spankings on prime time tv.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#192 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 07 September 2021 - 06:02 PM

I wonder what the pay difference is between Rosamund Pike and the rest of the cast? I've personally never seen any of the other actors in anything. This has me somewhat worried because if they are not very experienced,any poor writing will come through, whereas a veteran actor with a diverse acting background can polish some of them turds.

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 07 September 2021 - 06:02 PM

#193 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 08 September 2021 - 02:02 AM

View PostBriar King, on 06 September 2021 - 08:17 PM, said:

100 pgs in and still in Edmonds Field in aftermath of attack. Surely I'm on ep 2 by now. Can condense all the bumpkin stuff and probably still be in Ep 1 here.

they won't do it, but i'm reasonably sure the first 3rd of bk 1 could be done in one ep.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#194 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 08 September 2021 - 12:24 PM

View PostAbyss, on 08 September 2021 - 02:02 AM, said:

View PostBriar King, on 06 September 2021 - 08:17 PM, said:

100 pgs in and still in Edmonds Field in aftermath of attack. Surely I'm on ep 2 by now. Can condense all the bumpkin stuff and probably still be in Ep 1 here.

they won't do it, but i'm reasonably sure the first 3rd of bk 1 could be done in one ep.

I bet they make it to that haunted city (what was the name?) by latest mid-episode 2. There is going to be a LOT of condensing.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#195 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 08 September 2021 - 01:38 PM

View PostBriar King, on 08 September 2021 - 01:01 PM, said:

I rewatched the trailer and I think I’m put off on Shadar Logoth. It’s kinda quick but it sure looks like the Mist is just shadow to me. Kinda strange looking.

It also looks like the did the telltale corner-cutting thing for nighttime shooting where it's shot during the day, and then they slap a whack of blue filters on top to make it seem like its night. It ALWAYS looks fake AF, and that shot of it looked like they were doing it.

The most grievous of this trope I've seen is in THE BEACH. The shot in question is in the trailer, bright sunlight, and in the movie it's blue filtered hell nighttime...and you can SEE the sun glinting off the waves...but yeah, it's night....right.

Like this scene could not look more like daytime to me:

Here's the trailer, there at the 1:30 mark you can see the scene was originally daylight.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 08 September 2021 - 01:41 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#196 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 08 September 2021 - 02:10 PM

They had no choice but to filter it, as apparently they filmed this on a planet with 3 blazing suns constantly brightening everything.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#197 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 12 September 2021 - 11:53 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 07 September 2021 - 06:02 PM, said:

I wonder what the pay difference is between Rosamund Pike and the rest of the cast? I've personally never seen any of the other actors in anything. This has me somewhat worried because if they are not very experienced,any poor writing will come through, whereas a veteran actor with a diverse acting background can polish some of them turds.

A lot, obviously. If they were paying her between $500K and $1M per episode, I would not be surprised (a combo of her acting and producing fees). Sophie Okonedo, as an Oscar nominee, is a reasonably big get as well, and Daniel Henney has a ton of experience in American TV and South Korean film. Álvaro Morte is quite big in Spanish-language productions (especially after MONEY HEIST on Netflix). There's a fair bit of experience in the one-off roles as well, like Michael McElhatton (GAME OF THRONES) as Tam and especially Maria Doyle Kennedy as Ila, one of the Tinkers. She's been in loads going back to THE COMMITMENTS in the early nineties but more recently OUTLANDER, ORPHAN BLACK, THE TUDORS and DOWNTON ABBEY.

Inexperienced actors aren't always a problem though. Some of the young actors in GAME OF THRONES were ten years younger than these guys and did all right.

From what we know of the episode breakdowns:

Spoiler

#198 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 12 September 2021 - 12:01 PM

Man, those had better be actual hour long episodes, not that 40+ min ripoff stuff.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#199 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 12 September 2021 - 12:31 PM

I feel like I must be the only person on here that never read a single book from this series. Mainly because all I ever read about it was negative, which didn't exactly inspire me to pick them up.

On the plus side I won't be continuously spotting all the inevitable changes, and if they do it well I'm definitely interested.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 12 September 2021 - 12:31 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#200 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 13 September 2021 - 04:25 AM

View PostTraveller, on 12 September 2021 - 12:31 PM, said:

I feel like I must be the only person on here that never read a single book from this series. Mainly because all I ever read about it was negative, which didn't exactly inspire me to pick them up.

On the plus side I won't be continuously spotting all the inevitable changes, and if they do it well I'm definitely interested.

I'm the same. Not read them and don't really have a desire to. May watch the series but honestly the trailer didn't inspire me that much.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

Share this topic:

• 32 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic