Malazan Empire: WHEEL OF TIME TV series watching thread (spoilers!) - Malazan Empire

• 32 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

WHEEL OF TIME TV series watching thread (spoilers!) (was: 'So, the WHEEL OF TIME TV series is a go at Sony' thread

#161 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 02 September 2021 - 04:25 PM

I'm somewhere in between. The dialogue is very sound-bitey, but that's par for the course with trailers. I'm still wait and see on how 'fantasy nonsense' the writing will really be, and that'll take actually watching it. I think the cast looks fine to good.

Visually, it is way way way too bright and colorful -- and I mean 'run through a digital editing program' colorful, not 'wow nature sure is pretty' colorful. So far this is my biggest worry.

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#162 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 02 September 2021 - 04:29 PM

View Postworry, on 02 September 2021 - 04:25 PM, said:

Visually, it is way way way too bright and colorful -- and I mean 'run through a digital editing program' colorful, not 'wow nature sure is pretty' colorful. So far this is my biggest worry.

Unsurprisingly, I like that aspect of it. Helps it really stand out from GOT, or likely the forthcoming Middle Earth show to be so bright. Honestly, I want things to look like A KNIGHT'S TALE....big bold bright colours, almost garish green backdrops for grass, that kind of deal.

Also, can we talk about how our first view of Nynaeve is her yeeting Egwene off a cliff? LOL.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#163 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 September 2021 - 04:54 PM

View PostBriar King, on 02 September 2021 - 04:45 PM, said:

And what’s up with the more or less uniforms the Sedai are wearing? They don’t do that. I was expecting some color coordination bling(with lace ha) and it just looks so off but atleast it was the Red’s of all of them.

This will be the least of the changes they make to the books I'm sure.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#164 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 02 September 2021 - 05:06 PM

Yup, for instance each season is only covering 1/3 of each book with lots of extra original material padding it.

#165 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 02 September 2021 - 05:14 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 02 September 2021 - 04:54 PM, said:

And what's up with the more or less uniforms the Sedai are wearing? They don't do that. I was expecting some color coordination bling(with lace ha) and it just looks so off but atleast it was the Red's of all of them.

When I first glanced at your post, I thought it said LAST of the changes, not least. I was about to post the biggest LOL of all time.

#166 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 September 2021 - 05:31 PM

View Postparan falcon, on 02 September 2021 - 05:14 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 02 September 2021 - 04:54 PM, said:

And what's up with the more or less uniforms the Sedai are wearing? They don't do that. I was expecting some color coordination bling(with lace ha) and it just looks so off but atleast it was the Red's of all of them.

When I first glanced at your post, I thought it said LAST of the changes, not least. I was about to post the biggest LOL of all time.

Can you imagine? Being real, if this series looks even HALF like the books when it's all done, I'll be surprised. They will be making a lot of changes.

#167 User is online   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 02 September 2021 - 05:33 PM

View Postworry, on 02 September 2021 - 05:06 PM, said:

Yup, for instance each season is only covering 1/3 of each book with lots of extra original material padding it.

Nope, Season 1 is pretty much all of Book 1.

Why not show a Trolloc? Why show Dark One blind mouth piece that ain’t even in the books till like wayyy down the line?

They show multiple Trollocs (Lan kills one, you see a Fade leading a bunch of them and you see Lan kill three after Moiraine immobilises them with the Power). Not sure what you mean in the second part there. Shaidar Haran is a slightly taller-than-normal Myrddraal, but otherwise looks completely identical to the Myrddraal who shows up on Page 1 of Chapter 1 of Book 1.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#168 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 September 2021 - 05:34 PM

View PostBriar King, on 02 September 2021 - 05:21 PM, said:

Why not show a Trolloc?

They do don't they?

Isn't that what these are?

Attached File  WOTTrolloc.png (752.8K)
Number of downloads: 0

I mean it's not up close, or even in focus...but it's them.

And I mean, they gave us the Myrdraal instead, which I admit looks good.

#169 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 September 2021 - 05:34 PM

View PostWerthead, on 02 September 2021 - 05:33 PM, said:

View Postworry, on 02 September 2021 - 05:06 PM, said:

Nope, Season 1 is pretty much all of Book 1.

He was joking dude.

#170 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 02 September 2021 - 06:07 PM

Is Loial not in this? I'm thoroughly bummed out by that if true.

#171 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 02 September 2021 - 07:13 PM

I'm glad they seem to have changed the focus of the first book towards the Aes Sedai and away from Rand and pals being complete morons all the damn time. Maybe I'll finish the season like I never could the book.

For the question about Aes Sedai wearing basically uniforms: I'd just assume that's for purposes of quick identification in a visual medium. Unless it changes something core about them, it's a fairly reasonable change for adaptation, especially if they're gonna be in action scenes.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#172 User is offline   ContrarianMalazanReader 

• Fist

Posted 02 September 2021 - 07:19 PM

Finished watching the trailer. I'll check it out when it comes out.

Never read the books and have no interest in doing so. Reading the MBotF was more than enough and I don't want to immerse myself in yet another fantasy series with multiple thousand-page books.

#173 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 September 2021 - 07:29 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 02 September 2021 - 07:13 PM, said:

om Rand and pals being complete morons all the damn time.

I believe they prefer the term "woolheaded"

#174 User is online   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 02 September 2021 - 07:41 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 02 September 2021 - 06:07 PM, said:

Is Loial not in this? I'm thoroughly bummed out by that if true.

He is. I'm pretty sure he's supposed to be in that shot when they ride up to the Waygate, as there's a pretty big gap between two of the actors (and the metadata for the reverse image of the same shot says they're going to meet Loial), but they didn't have the CGI ready.

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."

#175 User is offline   ContrarianMalazanReader 

• Fist

Posted 02 September 2021 - 07:50 PM

View PostBriar King, on 02 September 2021 - 07:27 PM, said:

But it’s kinda required fantasy reading.

PG I did note that atleast it was the Red(Battle) Ajah in uniform like outfits. It still is rather off though for Sedai though.

Right now I'm kinda tired of fantasy series that borrow primarily from medieval Europe. It's why I'm looking for stuff that borrows from other sources, such as Fonda Lee's Green Bone saga which is a pastiche of far east societies, or the Craft Sequence by Max Gladstone with its inventive mix of magic and a technologically advanced society.

#176 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 02 September 2021 - 08:02 PM

I think they're holding off on showing Loial cuz -- as audience surrogate -- Rand's gonna mistake him for a Trolloc at first [cut to credits], and then he won't be revealed as a sweetie pie until the next episode. If they don't do that, then well, the whole project is a bust.

#177 User is online   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 02 September 2021 - 09:34 PM

View PostContrarianMalazanReader, on 02 September 2021 - 07:50 PM, said:

Right now I'm kinda tired of fantasy series that borrow primarily from medieval Europe. It's why I'm looking for stuff that borrows from other sources, such as Fonda Lee's Green Bone saga which is a pastiche of far east societies, or the Craft Sequence by Max Gladstone with its inventive mix of magic and a technologically advanced society.

WHEEL OF TIME is only superficially a medieval European fantasy. In practice, it's a post-post-apocalyptic series where the tech level is maybe late medieval (absent gunpowder, kind of) but the cultural and societal mores are more like the 17th-18th Century, but every fourth female character can also melt people at will (well, within certain guidelines).

#178 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 02 September 2021 - 09:42 PM

View PostWerthead, on 02 September 2021 - 09:34 PM, said:

View PostContrarianMalazanReader, on 02 September 2021 - 07:50 PM, said:

WHEEL OF TIME is only superficially a medieval European fantasy. In practice, it's a post-post-apocalyptic series where the tech level is maybe late medieval (absent gunpowder, kind of) but the cultural and societal mores are more like the 17th-18th Century, but every fourth female character can also melt people at will (well, within certain guidelines).

This is a "well actually" that doesn't connect to what CMR is expressing above.

CMR, I get what you feel and express here. I'm kinda tired of it too and it's been a joy to go find other books and shows that are elsewhere and elsewhen.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#179 User is offline   Dadding 

• Shaved Knuckle in the Hole

Posted 02 September 2021 - 10:17 PM

I'm really excited! I think this is going to do what Game of Thrones (minus the last couple seasons) and Harry Potter did for me - condensed the source material that I wasn't a huge fan of to make me love them on the screen in a way the books were never able to do for me. Getting through WoT was one of the most painful things I've ever done, but the trailer has really piqued my interest.

#180 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 02 September 2021 - 10:22 PM

View PostBriar King, on 02 September 2021 - 08:34 PM, said:

View PostBriar King, on 02 September 2021 - 06:29 PM, said:

I'm going to pull these fucking books out of storage ain't I?

….
Fuck

Its not a crime to reread WoT, BK! Despite its flaws its still my favorite. Felt like I'd never read it again after the final book. Then my daughter expressed interest in reading it before the show and I was reading it with her! Couldn't pass up that opportunity. She got a bf while we were in book 5 and we haven't advanced for a while...

Share this topic:

• 32 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users