Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sorry: High House of Shadow or Death?

#1 User is offline   Raizen 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 January 2015 - 02:22 PM

I'm almost at the end of the book and I came across the scene with Fiddler laying out his Deck in the card game with Mallet and Hedge. There's a line where he mentions the Virgin of Death and states that "her teeth have been pulled" and proof of that was that the Rope had withdrawn from the game. He has to be talking about Sorry/Apsalar right? Now I "know" in parenthesis because I'm sure what I know now in the series means bunk, that when she was possessed by Cotillion that she was the Assassin of the House of Shadow incarnate. Does that mean that when Cotillion isn't possessing her she's the Virgin of High House Death?
Wisdom was naught but cunning made grand, a weapon forged to win empty battles.

#2 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 27 January 2015 - 02:32 PM

Most Deck of Dragons readings are only metaphorical, so yeah in this instance the Virgin of Death card is probably referring to Sorry/Apsalar, but it doesn't mean she actually has the position of Virgin of Death appointed by Hood in the pantheon (if such a position even exists beyond the Deck).

Most of the time, the Deck just uses the pantheon cards to symbolize something. After all, there could be thousands of Deck adepts all over the world doing different Readings at the very same time - the actual Knight of Darkness can't be close to and relevant to all of them! So a reading in Darujhistan might actually have the Knight of Darkness refer to Rake, but meanwhile in Unta a Deck reading uses the Knight of Darkness card to symbolize the actions of a Napan bandit captain or something.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#3 User is offline   Raizen 

• Recruit

Posted 27 January 2015 - 03:34 PM

Ah that makes more sense, much obliged! Also, a card game seems like an incredibly entertaining way to read the Deck.
Wisdom was naught but cunning made grand, a weapon forged to win empty battles.

#4 User is offline   Kruppe'sStainedClothing 

• Recruit

Posted 11 May 2015 - 09:00 PM

View PostRaizen, on 27 January 2015 - 03:34 PM, said:

Ah that makes more sense, much obliged! Also, a card game seems like an incredibly entertaining way to read the Deck.

thats a great scene, probably one of my favorites in the book

i wonder if he knows what he is doing when he does this

#5 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 12 May 2015 - 01:03 PM

Read and find out :rolleyes:
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#6 User is offline   hnoor77 

• Recruit

Posted 13 January 2016 - 12:44 PM

After all, there c.ould be thousands of Deck adepts all over the world doing different Readings at the very same time - the actual Knight of Darkness can't be close to and relevant to all of them! So a reading in Darujhistan might actually have the Knight of Darkness refer to Rake, but meanwhile in Unta a Deck reading uses the Knight of Darkness card to symbolize the actions of a Napan bandit captain or something

wholesale salwar kameez dealers

This post has been edited by hnoor77: 16 November 2017 - 10:09 AM

NOOR

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users