Malazan Empire: The Canada Politics Thread - Malazan Empire

• 47 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Canada Politics Thread American politics' smaller less interesting cousin!

#781 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 21 February 2022 - 03:10 AM

Love how within less than a week of ottawa's police chief resigning Ottawa police start doing mass arrests. Clearly a fair weather chief of police.

#782 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 21 February 2022 - 05:44 AM

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 21 February 2022 - 03:10 AM, said:

Love how within less than a week of ottawa's police chief resigning Ottawa police start doing mass arrests. Clearly a fair weather chief of police.

The Mayor didn't help him much, wittering and trying to be 'nice' and hoping the prov or feds would solve the problem for him. Slowly blew it, but it was hardly just his fault.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#783 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 21 February 2022 - 06:59 AM

Can't remember where I saw it but there's been one idiot in court moaning about his first amendment rights and the judge was like "and what is the first amendment please?" :D
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#784 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 21 February 2022 - 05:07 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 21 February 2022 - 06:59 AM, said:

Can't remember where I saw it but there's been one idiot in court moaning about his first amendment rights and the judge was like "and what is the first amendment please?" :D

'This is Canada!'
Spoiler

#785 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 22 February 2022 - 05:14 AM

Dont think it was in Court, rather some of the protestors have been screaming 1st Amendment since they were arrested, and we've been laughing at them since the Canadian 1st Amendment recognizes the Province of Manitoba.

It remains unclear whether the screamers are in fact American, stupid, or both.

#786 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 22 February 2022 - 06:17 PM

View PostAbyss, on 22 February 2022 - 05:14 AM, said:

Dont think it was in Court, rather some of the protestors have been screaming 1st Amendment since they were arrested, and we've been laughing at them since the Canadian 1st Amendment recognizes the Province of Manitoba.

It remains unclear whether the screamers are in fact American, stupid, or both.

Convoy 'leader' and future Queen of Canada Tamara Lich's bail hearing, her husband - flown into Ottawa on a private jet, couldn't identify the owner or who paid for his ticket - tried to plead the 5th amendment on her behalf, the American 'right against self-incrimination'. The Judge politely asked him wtf he was talking about and he sat down.
We do have a right against self-incrimination, but it was a bail hearing to assess re-offending and flight risk, the responses aren't relevant towards conviction.

Also amusing this AM was Pat King's bail hearing where his proposed surety, a known supporter, claimed blissfull unawareness of his convictions, breaches of bail conditions, racist videos, and videos threatening violence against politicians and police.

Then two protest marches downtown ...and just to top off the morning we now have a man with a gun running around the just re-opened Rideau Center.

ETA ...and he's arrested. That was brief. Poor employees there, back to work, reopening... power off, instructions to lock down and shelter in place, heavily armed police running around. JFC.

I miss when Ottawa was boring.

#787 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 22 February 2022 - 07:44 PM

Yikes, Canada seeming more American by the day!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#788 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 20 March 2022 - 07:13 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 22 February 2022 - 07:44 PM, said:

You were saying ...?

https://www.bbc.com/...canada-60810468

Canada mosque: Worshippers stop axe wielding attacker

-------------------

At least it wasn't an AR-15 with a bump stock and all the trimmings.

Mississauga too. :(

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 20 March 2022 - 07:14 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#789 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 20 March 2022 - 04:44 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 20 March 2022 - 07:13 AM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 22 February 2022 - 07:44 PM, said:

You were saying ...?

https://www.bbc.com/...canada-60810468

Canada mosque: Worshippers stop axe wielding attacker

-------------------

At least it wasn't an AR-15 with a bump stock and all the trimmings.

Mississauga too. :(

That's just awful.... I mean glad all he had was bear spray and an axe...

#790 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 22 March 2022 - 02:41 PM

The Federal Liberals and NDP forming a "confidence and support" coalition to keep the Libs in power till 2025, and keeping the Cons out of power for the next three years while also actually getting shit done and making some NDP plans a reality?....was not on my bingo card for 2022, but I'm not mad at it at all. Fill yer boots guys.

My sister however, is probably having kittens about it and once again threatening to leave Canada for somewhere more in line with their bathsit conspiracy beliefs. LOL

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 22 March 2022 - 02:42 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#791 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 22 March 2022 - 05:02 PM

Source please? I'd like to read up on that.

Can imagine my bosses delicious outrage.

#792 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 March 2022 - 05:44 PM

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 22 March 2022 - 05:02 PM, said:

Source please? I'd like to read up on that.

Can imagine my bosses delicious outrage.

Here you go.

https://www.ctvnews....years-1.5829116
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#793 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 22 March 2022 - 07:06 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 22 March 2022 - 02:41 PM, said:

The Federal Liberals and NDP forming a "confidence and support" coalition to keep the Libs in power till 2025, and keeping the Cons out of power for the next three years while also actually getting shit done and making some NDP plans a reality?....was not on my bingo card for 2022, but I'm not mad at it at all. Fill yer boots guys.

The Liberals and NDP finally found something they can firmly agree on.

#794 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 March 2022 - 07:15 PM

View PostAbyss, on 22 March 2022 - 07:06 PM, said:

It's amusing to me that many Conservatives are wringing their hands over this...including their MAGA-missy interim leader who claims it's a power grab....someone might want to explain to her how our Parliamentary democracy works, and also maybe how the current CPC party formed of two separate parties that united, or how better yet how the CPC have worked with the Bloc in exactly this manner. LOL

#795 User is offline   Gwynn ap Nudd 

• High Fist

Posted 23 March 2022 - 01:46 AM

Good news, though the idea that government is going to do something to lower housing prices is not realistic.

#796 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 23 March 2022 - 02:16 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 22 March 2022 - 07:15 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 22 March 2022 - 07:06 PM, said:

It's amusing to me that many Conservatives are wringing their hands over this...including their MAGA-missy interim leader who claims it's a power grab....someone might want to explain to her how our Parliamentary democracy works, and also maybe how the current CPC party formed of two separate parties that united, or how better yet how the CPC have worked with the Bloc in exactly this manner. LOL

god i remember in the late 2000s the sun media was railing on how NDP and Liberal contemplating a coalition was a "coup d'état"

From the CBC article
https://www.cbc.ca/n...-work-1.6393710

The NDP and the Liberals have identified seven key areas where they say they will work together. Here's what they've agreed to pursue:

Health

A new dental care program that would start with low-income kids under 12 this year before expanding next year to include under-18s, seniors and people living with a disability. The program would be restricted to families earning less than $90,000 with no co-paying requirements for anyone earning less than $70,000.

All for this, starting with low income kids under 12 is an easy shoe in as cost of dental services to kids is substantially less than adults. But the big question is what will be considered "dental care". Does dental care mean 2 units of scaling, one unit of polishing and a co payment for a cavity filling?

A commitment to work on a "universal national pharmacare program" by passing pharmacare legislation by the end of next year. It would be followed up by tasking the National Drug Agency to recommend essential medicines and a bulk purchasing plan.

step in the right direction

A commitment to "additional ongoing investments" to shore up provincial health care systems by hiring more doctors, nurses and mental health supports.

All for it, though I thought healthcare was provincial? More funding for mental health is great, I just hope they find a way to raise commensurate revenues

A Safe Long-Term Care Act to address the funding and policy shortcomings exposed by the COVID-19 pandemic.

interesting, though again healthcare is provincial, not sure how this works federally
Affordability

An Early Learning and Child Care Act — to be passed this year — to ensure child care agreements struck between the federal and provincial governments get secure long-term federal funding and are focused on non-profit spaces.

not sure I follow

More affordable housing, a $500 top-up to the Canada Housing Benefit this year and a "homebuyer's bill of rights."

So the Canada housing benefit seems to be a New Brunswick thing. The home buyers bill of rights, that's something I hope will have teeth. Ami too naive in hoping they legislate an end to closed bidding?

Climate change

A commitment to phasing out federal government support for the fossil fuel sector — including funding from Crown corporations — starting in 2022.

A commitment to finding new "ways to further accelerate the trajectory" to a net zero economy by 2050.

A "Clean Jobs Training Centre" to support retraining for energy workers as Canada moves away from fossil fuels.

I like the idea of clean jobs training center. I'm just worried we're adopting too much of a stick approach to environment and not enough of a carrot. Not disagreeing with the need to ride ourselves of our oil dependency, but we don't have much of an alternative to gasoline for most of our economy, as well as natural gas for heating.

Labour

A pledge to implement as soon as possible legislation passed by the Liberals to ensure federally regulated workers get 10 days of paid sick leave every year.

The introduction of legislation by the end of next year making it illegal to call in replacement workers when an employer of unionized employees in a federally regulated industry locks out workers.

reasonable
Reconciliation

A commitment to continued funding to help First Nations, Inuit and Métis communities undertake burial searches at the former sites of residential schools.

A commitment to work with Indigenous peoples to decide how housing investments are delivered and designed.

A commitment to advance policies related to missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls.

Good assuming this is followed up on and not just idle talk. How about we stop fighting first nations in court over things that we shouldnt be

Tax initiatives

Changes to taxation for financial institutions that have made robust profits during the pandemic.

All down, though I've a laundry list of tax intiatives i'll be writing in to my MP/Diane Lebouthilier as our tax system needs serious reform once im done busy season

Implementation of a publicly accessible beneficial ownership registry by the end of 2023.

??????

Democracy

A commitment to work with Elections Canada to expand voter participation, which could include expanding election day to three days of voting.

A change to elections rules to allow people to vote at any polling place within their electoral district.

Improvements to mail-in ballots so that voters are not disenfranchised.

A commitment to ensuring that the number of seats Quebec has in the House of Commons remains constant.

This last one Im not particularly keen on... why does Quebec get more seats...

#797 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 24 March 2022 - 10:59 PM

So with respect to the "Implementation of a publicly accessible beneficial ownership registry by the end of 2023."

https://transparency...egistry-by-2023

https://static1.squa...INAL+200819.pdf

In short, it would be a registry to cut down on money laundering.

#798 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 05 April 2022 - 06:49 PM

My sister however, is probably having kittens about it and once again threatening to leave Canada for somewhere more in line with their bathsit conspiracy beliefs. LOL

I hear Russia is looking for rightwing racists to fix their dwindling population problem...
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#799 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 03 May 2022 - 06:12 PM

"Conservatives told not to comment on U.S. Supreme Court abortion rights leak"

Yeah, that's ok, we already knew where they stood.

#800 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 03 May 2022 - 06:29 PM

View PostAbyss, on 03 May 2022 - 06:12 PM, said:

"Conservatives told not to comment on U.S. Supreme Court abortion rights leak"

Yeah, that's ok, we already knew where they stood.

Indeed.

If they thought they could touch it and that the parliamentary multi-party system would not utterly destroy them...they would 100% touch it. But they won't. Because most of them are smart enough to know it won't work here. Oosterhoff is spouting off (that cancerous POS needs to go away), but even PP is not touching it with a ten foot pole beyond lip service to aim himself at the Con leadership.

The good news is that our Charter protects women much better than the vagaries of the US Constitution, as violations of Section 7 are pretty sacrosanct...so turning our Supreme Court decision over would require FAR more than any Conservative govt would be willing to risk, and far more clout than they'd ever have to figure out how to loophole around Section 7.

Share this topic:

• 47 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users