Malazan Empire: The Canada Politics Thread - Malazan Empire

• 47 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Canada Politics Thread American politics' smaller less interesting cousin!

#721 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 20 September 2021 - 06:11 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 13 September 2021 - 11:53 AM, said:

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 13 September 2021 - 12:59 AM, said:

Like O toole

WTF?

He's Trump Jr. man. A populist piece of shit trying to ride the alt-right to a win. He's a fucking shitstain.

I have to disagree with that characterization.

If anything one of his issues is he doesn't appeal to the alt right.

#722 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 20 September 2021 - 12:26 PM

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 20 September 2021 - 06:11 AM, said:

Like O toole

WTF?

He's Trump Jr. man. A populist piece of shit trying to ride the alt-right to a win. He's a fucking shitstain.

He's a climate change denier, a frequent proven liar, anti-abortion, anti-Reconciliation with the Indigenous, anti-LGBTQ, anti-vaccine, and any host of other Trumpisms. He may have tried to walk some of these back, b the cat was already out of the bag.

Pick the ones that you're okay with I guess.

You also mistake the alt-right....TONNES of them are Conservative voters. The PPC is splitting that vote, sure, but a lot of cons are alt-right, and he's feeding all their views.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 20 September 2021 - 03:43 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#723 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 20 September 2021 - 07:40 PM

O'Toole post on Facebook:

Posted Image

WTF?

'Protect your vulnerable dog from the leftists! PETA wants to take them away!'

'Beware those terrifying bared lower fangs, PETA will let these beasts roam free!'

'My voters are obedient pathetic doggos, do you what you're told'

Or maybe the focus is on the backdrop, which looks like either public transit or a plane... you'll be so safe your dog can roam around the train without a leash? They'll lift COVID-19 restrictions so you can fly your free-roaming dog out of Canada?...

#724 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 20 September 2021 - 07:52 PM

I mean "a dog told me to" is one of the better reasons to vote Conservative in fairness...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#725 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 21 September 2021 - 07:47 AM

Haven't we seen this before?

https://www.news.com...446d3c404c68e05
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#726 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 21 September 2021 - 12:27 PM

And as expected, we are in pretty much the same spot we were before the snap election. Liberals win a minority, will have to coalition with the NDP, and the Cons gain little to no ground.

The good news out of all this is the utter political rejection of the crazy white supremacist PPC party with a total of no seats.

Anyways, I maintain what I said when the election was called. We didn't need this while still dealing with the Pandemic, and whoever convinced the Liberals that they could win a majority was silly. I mean I think a single seat changed?

I will fully say I'm glad that the Cons didn't get in and that Trudeau's Liberals will see us out of the Pandemic. I trust them to do that as they've done a decent job so far at the Fed level....O'Toole's Cons would IMMEDIATELY have cancelled the Vaccine Passports, and the $10/day daycare promises.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 21 September 2021 - 12:29 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#727 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 21 September 2021 - 06:59 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 21 September 2021 - 12:27 PM, said:

And as expected, we are in pretty much the same spot we were before the snap election. Liberals win a minority, will have to coalition with the NDP, and the Cons gain little to no ground.

The good news out of all this is the utter political rejection of the crazy white supremacist PPC party with a total of no seats.

Anyways, I maintain what I said when the election was called. We didn't need this while still dealing with the Pandemic, and whoever convinced the Liberals that they could win a majority was silly. I mean I think a single seat changed?

I will fully say I'm glad that the Cons didn't get in and that Trudeau's Liberals will see us out of the Pandemic. I trust them to do that as they've done a decent job so far at the Fed level....O'Toole's Cons would IMMEDIATELY have cancelled the Vaccine Passports, and the $10/day daycare promises.

Accurate.

I do find it troubling that the PPC moved from just under 2% in 2019 to 5% of the popular vote. Sure, they didn't win a seat, but even so that number speaks to them drawing in a certain set of voters.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#728 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 21 September 2021 - 07:40 PM

View PostAbyss, on 21 September 2021 - 06:59 PM, said:

Accurate.

I do find it troubling that the PPC moved from just under 2% in 2019 to 5% of the popular vote. Sure, they didn't win a seat, but even so that number speaks to them drawing in a certain set of voters.

I feel like any gains the PPC made in voters is directly related to the pandemic and how even the Con govt's have been having to capitulate to rules and restrictions that portions of the anti-lockdown/anti-masker/anti-vaxx Con crowd were told was a "lie"...so the Cons have disappointed them on that front and they moved further right as a result.

My sister has been a die-hard Con voter ALL her life in every election including the last Provincial one...but the Pandemic turned her into a PPC voter because the Cons/Douggie weren't doing what she wanted that aligned with her batshit conspiracy narrative.

#729 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 22 September 2021 - 01:59 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 21 September 2021 - 07:40 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 21 September 2021 - 06:59 PM, said:

Accurate.

I feel like any gains the PPC made in voters is directly related to the pandemic and how even the Con govt's have been having to capitulate to rules and restrictions that portions of the anti-lockdown/anti-masker/anti-vaxx Con crowd were told was a "lie"...so the Cons have disappointed them on that front and they moved further right as a result.

My sister has been a die-hard Con voter ALL her life in every election including the last Provincial one...but the Pandemic turned her into a PPC voter because the Cons/Douggie weren't doing what she wanted that aligned with her batshit conspiracy narrative.

I don't mind the Cons, and to an extent the NDP, losing that set of their bases. I just look south and then wonder how far it goes, especially given the Western provs' disconnect from Ont/QC/Atlcs.
'The election was decided before the count got west of Toronto' is a common, and accurate, complaint.

#730 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 September 2021 - 02:45 PM

View PostAbyss, on 22 September 2021 - 01:59 PM, said:

especially given the Western provs' disconnect from Ont/QC/Atlcs.

You mean like Alberta waiting till the DAY after the election to ask for help from Ottawa with their dumpster fire of a COVID/ICU situation?

Despicable fucks.

It's this kind of shit that I can't stand. AB and Sask talk shit about Wexit (not understanding the phrase "Treaty land" for starters and how it relates to their provinces) and rage about Ottawa, the Feds interfering in their lives....but when the chips are down, they come crawling and crying for help. It's disgusting.

I've said for years that when the Fossil-Fuel-industry-in-a-trench-coat that is Alberta collapses in the next decade or so and they have ZERO other economic plans or backbone...they will cry foul and demand Ottawa do something.

It aggravates me to no end.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 22 September 2021 - 02:46 PM

#731 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 22 September 2021 - 05:56 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 22 September 2021 - 02:45 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 22 September 2021 - 01:59 PM, said:

especially given the Western provs' disconnect from Ont/QC/Atlcs.

You mean like Alberta waiting till the DAY after the election to ask for help from Ottawa with their dumpster fire of a COVID/ICU situation?

Despicable fucks.

It's this kind of shit that I can't stand. AB and Sask talk shit about Wexit (not understanding the phrase "Treaty land" for starters and how it relates to their provinces) and rage about Ottawa, the Feds interfering in their lives....but when the chips are down, they come crawling and crying for help. It's disgusting.

I've said for years that when the Fossil-Fuel-industry-in-a-trench-coat that is Alberta collapses in the next decade or so and they have ZERO other economic plans or backbone...they will cry foul and demand Ottawa do something.

It aggravates me to no end.

The current Alberta prov gov situation is beyond despicable into full blown criminal. How the fnck Kenney and co watched what was happening in the US and UK, and did what they did, blows my brainz. How they were even allowed to do it...

The talking crap then running to the Fed gov for aid is standard right across the country, i can't even get emotional about it any more. Ontario does it, Quebec does it, the Atlantics have been doing it while condemning Ottawa for not doing enough for decades. To my very incomplete knowledge BC is about the only prov that doesn't condemn the Fed Gov on a running basis, likely because they rely on the RCMP for policing and AANDC to deal with their ongoing Indigenous peoples issues. That Alberta has waited so damn long to do it is likely as you say, there was a federal election coming up and it would have made the Alberta cons look like the private industry pandering mess that they are. And the population suffers for it. ...but will still re-elect them FFS.

#732 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 22 September 2021 - 09:01 PM

They can't cancel vaccine passports; that's a provincial issue.
90% of PPC voters were probably thinking that if PPC wins, the passports would have to go away. And they were equally wrong.

It never ceases to amaze me how my mom blames Trudeau for everything, and most of the time it's things that are mandated either at Queen's Park or at City Hall.

We have Civics as a mandatory high school course, and part of the citizenship test; yet a significant chunks of the population doesn't actually get how division of powers works.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#733 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 23 September 2021 - 12:15 AM

I meant the federal ones for travel,

#734 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 25 September 2021 - 04:34 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 20 September 2021 - 12:26 PM, said:

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 20 September 2021 - 06:11 AM, said:

Like O toole

WTF?

He's a climate change denier, a frequent proven liar, anti-abortion, anti-Reconciliation with the Indigenous, anti-LGBTQ, anti-vaccine, and any host of other Trumpisms. He may have tried to walk some of these back, b the cat was already out of the bag.

Pick the ones that you're okay with I guess.

You also mistake the alt-right....TONNES of them are Conservative voters. The PPC is splitting that vote, sure, but a lot of cons are alt-right, and he's feeding all their views.try reading the comment again, O Toole doesn't appeal to the hard line conservatives. Note how Mulroney (An actual Progressive Conservative) was out campaigned and Harper wasn't heard from. That's not some hot take.

I'd also like to know where you're getting your information on O'toole

As far as I can see he is
A tory that does acknowledge climate change (though his carbon reduction plan is a joke, likely to appease elements in his party)
A frequent proven liar- heh... you can say this about any politcian, i think this needs more qualitative information.
Anti-abortion, yeah sadly with tories if they are too socially progressive they don't suceed as tories.
Anti-reconciliation: I don't think we've ever had a PM that did a good job on this issue across the board. It's always been some progress and more of the same.
Anti-lgbtq: This one's false hes actually voted in favor of LGBTQ policies even during the harper era.
Anti -vacc: This one i don't buy as well. He's repeatedly stated he is pro vaccine and wants people to get vaccinated.

Anyways if there's a positive in this election is the liberals are likely going to be moving JT out so that's a positive.

#735 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 27 September 2021 - 12:41 PM

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 25 September 2021 - 04:34 PM, said:

try reading the comment again, O Toole doesn't appeal to the hard line conservatives.

Implying someone didn't read the comment is an interesting and point less jab. O'Toole very much appeals to the hard line cons even with his centrist talk....because guess what? They vote like a tribe. My whole extended family doesn't exactly like him, but are ALL hardline cons and all voted for him anyways...the only one who didn't is my batshit sister who I heard voted PPC becuase she's in a cult. O'Toole appeals to them anyways, and he purposely rides that line....I mean, this MFer praised Jason fucking Kenney's handling of the Pandemic DAYS before Alberta was revealed to be a predictable dumpster fire.

I'd also like to know where you're getting your information on O'toole

Would you?

As far as I can see he is

A tory that does acknowledge climate change

Looks about the same as every other Con...pretty lies not even all that dressed up.

A frequent proven liar- heh... you can say this about any politcian, i think this needs more qualitative information.

I mean, a little more than normal....but you go off I guess.

Anti-abortion, yeah sadly with tories if they are too socially progressive they don't suceed as tories.

And you don't see a problem with this? A leader who buckles to party norms that not only go against progressiveness, but try to rewind time? Don't you live in Toronto?

Anti-reconciliation: I don't think we've ever had a PM that did a good job on this issue across the board. It's always been some progress and more of the same.

There's a difference between "not doing good" and THIS. Sorry, not sorry. Again, he tried to walk this back and even tried to take Trudeau to task on this topic during the campaign....nah bro, sorry you let the cat out of the bag, no one is buying it.

Anti-lgbtq: This one's false hes actually voted in favor of LGBTQ policies even during the harper era.

He's full tilt withy washy, all the way through. I don't give a shit if he had enough COVER under Harper to vote a way to look good....his clear wishy washiness is disgusting. So no, it's not false if you read between the lines.

Anti -vacc: This one i don't buy as well. He's repeatedly stated he is pro vaccine and wants people to get vaccinated.

Oh no? This is another one of the things that he peddled to the other side with deafening SILENCE until a few weeks before the election and he swung around and started talking them up. A little too late. If he'd not been forced, he would have said nothing.

And his gun views...yeah that's not a good and supportive position.

Anyways if there's a positive in this election is the liberals are likely going to be moving JT out so that's a positive.

They won't. There's nothing inherently wrong with Trudeau. He's just a very milquetoast PM. All of the insane rhetoric from the other side is exactly that. Am I mad that he didn't institute election reform or stick to his original guns on the pipelines and climate? Yep. Which is why I didn't vote for him this time.

The positive from this election is the PPC splitting the CON vote.

Beyond ALL this...his two slogans were "Take Canada Back"....a Trumpian slogan (going back to my original point) and I ask..from who? Whatever "other" he invented to appeal to the Cons racist tone?...and then worse was "Secure The Future" which is dripping with well known racist undertones...again which of these two are you okay with?

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 27 September 2021 - 12:44 PM

#736 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 27 September 2021 - 01:02 PM

Admittedly I don't know much about Canadian politics as it isn't nearly as big on the world stage as the morons south of you guys but I always though Trudeau was a decent type (blackface notwithstanding of course, that was terrible)

Or was it just that he wasn't trump?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#737 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 27 September 2021 - 01:18 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 27 September 2021 - 01:02 PM, said:

Admittedly I don't know much about Canadian politics as it isn't nearly as big on the world stage as the morons south of you guys but I always though Trudeau was a decent type (blackface notwithstanding of course, that was terrible)

He's fine. He fits with most of our politicians over the last few decades as far as how honourable or lack thereof they all were. He's had a scandal or two, and has gone back on the campaign promises I mentioned, but overall he's not the demon that the Rightwingers like to paint him as. He's just a really beige non-risky PM.And as far as the pandemic goes, he did his job in acquiring us the vaccines we needed in such a supply that once they started rolling in, we ended up as one of the top like 3 vaccinated countries in the world.

To be honest, the last time we had a PM with any real spunk was Jean Chretien in the 90's. The Shawnigan Handshake being my fave of his spunk. I don't think any protestors ever got close to him after that again.

#738 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 28 September 2021 - 07:45 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 27 September 2021 - 01:18 PM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 27 September 2021 - 01:02 PM, said:

He's fine. He fits with most of our politicians over the last few decades as far as how honourable or lack thereof they all were. He's had a scandal or two, and has gone back on the campaign promises I mentioned, but overall he's not the demon that the Rightwingers like to paint him as. He's just a really beige non-risky PM.And as far as the pandemic goes, he did his job in acquiring us the vaccines we needed in such a supply that once they started rolling in, we ended up as one of the top like 3 vaccinated countries in the world.

To be honest, the last time we had a PM with any real spunk was Jean Chretien in the 90's. The Shawnigan Handshake being my fave of his spunk. I don't think any protestors ever got close to him after that again.

So basically what you'd saying is he's Eh-d Milliband, if Milliband had actually won an election here.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#739 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 28 September 2021 - 10:09 AM

Yeah but just imagine how great the last decade would have been, comparatively, had Milliband won... We're definitely in one of the darker timelines here...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#740 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 28 September 2021 - 06:15 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 27 September 2021 - 01:18 PM, said:

...I don't think any protestors ever got close to him after that again.

The security service agents' job switched from keeping them away from him to keeping him away from them.

Share this topic:

• 47 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users