Malazan Empire: The Canada Politics Thread - Malazan Empire

• 47 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Canada Politics Thread American politics' smaller less interesting cousin!

#621 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 19 September 2019 - 04:33 PM

View PostMentalist, on 14 September 2019 - 07:26 PM, said:

WTF is "study hall" ?

High school law is a joke course that has absolutely nothing to do with anything in the actual legal profession. It's like a more advanced civics course basically, with some stuff about negligence, but I learned more from my NLS manual.

Presumably it's the equivalent of a Spare Period (that's what we called them when I as in High School, though I went to a French High School). I was supposed to stay on school grounds during that time, but did not have class - so we could go to the Library to study for the period, or somewhere else where we would not be interrupting any classes that were in session. I lived a couple blocks from school so I usually just went home and took a nap.
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#622 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 19 September 2019 - 05:16 PM

It shows how scared the Cons are that they are now digging through Justin's past to find shit to make him look bad.

Newsflash Scheer and Co.: If the SNC Lavalin scandal didn't sink the Federal Liberals, this old photo (tasteless as it is) ain't gonna cut the mustard either.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#623 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 19 September 2019 - 06:11 PM

Yeah, but you can't be duplicitous about it. Either you're all in with the 'cancel culture'/outrage addiction/ruin lives mindset... or not. You can't be apologetic or silent when it's 'one of your guys' who's been caught or revealed for some horrible things in his/her past.

#624 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery

Posted 19 September 2019 - 09:45 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 19 September 2019 - 06:11 PM, said:

Yeah, but you can't be duplicitous about it. Either you're all in with the 'cancel culture'/outrage addiction/ruin lives mindset... or not. You can't be apologetic or silent when it's 'one of your guys' who's been caught or revealed for some horrible things in his/her past.

I don't know if I agree with you. We're humans - no one is every 100% one thing or another thing. Humans just aren't like that. I change my mind often about how I feel about things. I learn what is and isn't acceptable and change the way I act or react to things daily.

For example, I refuse to purchase or listen to anything by Chris Brown because he's a woman abuser. Same with Michael Jackson and R. Kelly cause they're pedophiles. Both of those things are things that I doubt are going to change any time soon.

If Justin Trudeau showed up somewhere today in blackface or brownface, I wouldn't be here talking about how I think this whole thing is ridiculous. But that's not what happened. He did what he did in 2001. And frankly, though it was certainly in bad taste, it wasn't something that was particularly frowned upon at the time, at least not to the extent it is today.

Plus, Trudeau immediately apologized and admitted to other instances where he did these distasteful things, admitted to being wrong about this, and that in retrospect he wished he had not done these things, which, I might add, were done in a Private school at which he taught or the high school that he attended.

On the other hand, Scheer has yet to apologize for comparing gay marriage to 5-legged dogs. In Parliament. Ostensibly in front of every Canadian. And it's now on record in perpetuity.

I think there's a big difference, and I think that the hypocrite in all of this is Scheer.
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#625 User is offline   rant 

• Sergeant

Posted 20 September 2019 - 03:25 AM

Fine, I'll be the first Canadian to cast his vote. Green. Sam as its been for like 20 years. lets not destroy the world.

#626 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 20 September 2019 - 04:13 AM

View Postrant, on 20 September 2019 - 03:25 AM, said:

Fine, I'll be the first Canadian to cast his vote. Green. Sam as its been for like 20 years. lets not destroy the world.

I'm definitely considering switching to Green (away from my usual Rhino vote).

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#627 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 September 2019 - 10:31 AM

View PostD, on 20 September 2019 - 04:13 AM, said:

I was going to vote Green until the whole anti-abortion thing the other week, so even though I’m pissed at the lack of keeping to election promises (election reform to remove FPTP, climate focus no pipeline) I’ll drop back and vote Lib again. Beyond anything else, I can’t stomach Canada falling into the same alt-right hole as the States if Scheer manages to get in. Ford is bad enough.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#628 User is offline   rant 

• Sergeant

Posted 20 September 2019 - 12:10 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 20 September 2019 - 10:31 AM, said:

View PostD, on 20 September 2019 - 04:13 AM, said:

I was going to vote Green until the whole anti-abortion thing the other week, so even though I'm pissed at the lack of keeping to election promises (election reform to remove FPTP, climate focus no pipeline) I'll drop back and vote Lib again. Beyond anything else, I can't stomach Canada falling into the same alt-right hole as the States if Scheer manages to get in. Ford is bad enough.

Hmm, I'd not heard about that anti-abortion stuff, that is concerning.

The conspiracy part of my brain wonders if the Trudeau team put the blackface stuff out themselves as a lowkey way to try and pull some of the racist vote from Mad Max and Scheer lol. It might win some votes here in NB at least...14 candidates at the provincial level abandoned the NDP for the Greens (we have a strong provincial Green leader here).....its not been explicitly stated, but at least some of the motivation for that switch was them recognizing that they wouldn't get votes as NDPers as long as there was a brown man leading the federal party...really disappointing.

#629 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 20 September 2019 - 02:45 PM

This election in particular, close as it is shaping up to be, it seems to me that votes for Green and the NDP do more for the Tories than the Green and NDP.

I'm aware of the arguments against this, but at the end of the day it just doesn't seem worth four or more years of Harper 2.0 now with more hate.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#630 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 September 2019 - 04:02 PM

View PostAbyss, on 20 September 2019 - 02:45 PM, said:

This election in particular, close as it is shaping up to be, it seems to me that votes for Green and the NDP do more for the Tories than the Green and NDP.

I'm aware of the arguments against this, but at the end of the day it just doesn't seem worth four or more years of Harper 2.0 now with more hate.

This.

Whatever issues I have with Trudeau's Liberals (who I freely admit to helping get voted in as a lifelong Liberal) and the scandals or crap they've done or not done...a vote anywhere but Red is going to help usher in Scheer. Which is exactly as you said Abyss is Harper 2.0 with More Hate.

I think my favourite talking point about the Trudeau Blackface thing is that he's now admitted it was terrible and wrong, and apologized twice. Which while it doesn't erase the bad, at least acknowledges it's bad and owns the responsibility for doing it. Meanwhile, Scheer has homophobic stuff pop up from HIS past, and zero apologies to date, and any time he's asked directly he dances around any kind of apology...because guess what? His base voters are very much homophobic and he knows he'd lose them if he owned that and apologized.

This is the difference between these two politicians. One can own his mistakes, and still hope to hang on to voters...while the other knows his side is so entrenched in their dogmatic hate that he would dip even further from getting elected if he was contrite about it. It's very much like Doug Ford in that he's literally not hoping to get elected to run the country for everyone, but only for those that voted for him, everyone else is expendable chaff to him.

#631 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 20 September 2019 - 04:12 PM

And it's not an attack on the Greens and NDP, in as much as they have a purpose and a 'mission' and clearly a portion of Canada who feels those parties best represent them. But either party could have the greatest success in their respective histories and it will amount to precisely nothing if the Tories are in.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#632 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 September 2019 - 04:40 PM

View PostAbyss, on 20 September 2019 - 04:12 PM, said:

And it's not an attack on the Greens and NDP, in as much as they have a purpose and a 'mission' and clearly a portion of Canada who feels those parties best represent them. But either party could have the greatest success in their respective histories and it will amount to precisely nothing if the Tories are in.

Accurate. Hell, some years I'd LOVE for the NDP to get a stronger voice if only to counter the whole Libs VS PC domination across the country. And I think the Greens could be good if they got themselves in order and didn't say and do stupid shit...but man they are messy depending on the province.

#633 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 20 September 2019 - 09:10 PM

View PostAbyss, on 20 September 2019 - 02:45 PM, said:

But that's exactly how we eventually end up with an ultra-polarized 2-party system like down south.

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#634 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 21 September 2019 - 03:04 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 20 September 2019 - 04:40 PM, said:

Accurate. Hell, some years I'd LOVE for the NDP to get a stronger voice if only to counter the whole Libs VS PC domination across the country. And I think the Greens could be good if they got themselves in order and didn't say and do stupid shit...but man they are messy depending on the province.

And this is why we need Proportional representation instead of FPTP
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#635 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 21 September 2019 - 09:24 PM

View PostMentalist, on 21 September 2019 - 03:04 AM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 20 September 2019 - 04:40 PM, said:

And this is why we need Proportional representation instead of FPTP

I am very much a fan of MMR style democracy. However, that will never come to be.

As much as i hate FPTP, bitching about it accomplishes nothing. So within the stupid system we have, im stuck voting liberal, because the rare times the liberals don't win, its the tories who win due to vote splitting.

Now if my riding leaned orange more then red, then i'd also vote orange.

This post has been edited by LinearPhilosopher: 21 September 2019 - 09:39 PM

#636 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 20 October 2019 - 05:28 PM

surprised no one else has posted here in a month despite there being an election.

I guess we're all just as fed up?

#637 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 20 October 2019 - 07:16 PM

What's the pathway to get Jagmeet Singh to be your PM? Posted Image
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#638 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 21 October 2019 - 01:24 AM

View Postworry, on 20 October 2019 - 07:16 PM, said:

no Path.
http://338canada.com...icts/35085e.htm

Im still voting NDP cause i can't stand scheer and I coulndt live with myself if i voted liberal.

#639 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 21 October 2019 - 01:21 PM

Bad idea. Elbows would become illegal.

#640 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 21 October 2019 - 02:02 PM

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 21 October 2019 - 01:24 AM, said:

no Path.
http://338canada.com...icts/35085e.htm

Im still voting NDP cause i can't stand scheer and I coulndt live with myself if i voted liberal.

Quasi-Samsies (vote-wise).

I'm a lifelong Liberal voter, but I've come to the realization that as long as I keep voting strategically to keep the Cons from power (and not going with how the Election Compass tells me my feelings line up with the party platforms; NDP)...I'm basically giving into the system being rigged for Cons VS Libs and that's it...and shit like actually thinking/believing that Trudeau would get rid of FPTP (election reform) as he promised...was a convenient fiction I told myself.

So I'm voting NDP in a Fed election for the first time ever. And whatever that causes... will be. If that causes a Con victory because it was one less vote for the Libs, then so fucking be it. I'm tired of voting strategically (Not-Cons) and I'm ready to just vote with my heart/brain for the party that's not part of the heavyweight fight the Boomers have made this always be (Cons VS Libs: Who Can Badmouth To Get Tribalist Votes Enough To Get In By Lying).

I'll take my lumps if that's what this leads to.

Share this topic:

• 47 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users