Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Maybe the best book by Erikson yet FoD is great

#1 User is offline   Avatar 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 17 January 2015 - 10:16 AM

This might offend some of you, but after reading Reaper's Gale, the series couldn't grap me anymore. TtH has it's own style, which I didn't like on my first (and until now: only) readthrough. DoD en TCG were ok to read, but they didn't hit me like most of the books before them. Somehow, I didn't feel connected to many of the newer charachters in them, and sometimes, it was hard to follow what exactly was going on. So, after finishing the series in 2012, I decided, after 2 years of reading tMBotF that I would take a break and not to read anything Malazan for a while.

So, last Christmas, I had some time off, and decided to give FoD a try. I'm about 450 pages in and oh my god, I love this book. My favorite book until now has been Midnight Tides. What I really liked about MT was the sense of terrible things that were about to happen, something that gave me the chills when reading it. FoD has that same feel about it. It's dark, gloomy, and so much new information about the world is reveiled in it. It draws me in, much easier than some of the other books. And I think that Erikson has become a better writer along the way.

The good thing is that this book had made me really eager to start my first reread of the whole series.

This post has been edited by Avatar: 17 January 2015 - 10:17 AM

#2 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges

Posted 03 August 2015 - 10:05 PM

That is great! I have reread FoD 4 times by now, it is simply great every time!

I would like to know if Steve have ever tasted anything like the quorl white milk, that knocked the bb's out.

A: Nope, but I gots me a good imagination.

#3 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 04 August 2015 - 12:20 PM

Good chance that the other books will grow on you on a re-read as well. I originally had similar issues with DoD and tCG, although I loved TtH. Too many new characters and storylines that seemingly came out of nowhere (Snake, Shake, Barghast, Tiste Liosan, etc) but on rereads I picked up so many bits in earlier books that link to later events that it puts a lot of events in those last two books in a whole different light.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#4 User is offline   paradanmellow 

• Unaligned Card
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:art, psychology, potatoes
  • walking the shores of lake Azur

Posted 26 August 2015 - 08:40 AM

I just finished FoD and my goodness it is good! Most awesome ride ever. Not one moment wasted and little of the philosophizing from TtH. (and no damned Kruppe!!!) Almost every character stands on its own and says/does something worth listening to. I give it all the stars and don't think I'll regret my enthusiasm. Waiting for Fall of Light now *_* because there was some cliff hanger at the end of FoD, although SE said he dislikes that approach.
There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

#5 User is offline   Avatar 

• High Fist

Posted 06 March 2017 - 09:33 PM

Good chance that the other books will grow on you on a re-read as well. I originally had similar issues with DoD and tCG, although I loved TtH. Too many new characters and storylines that seemingly came out of nowhere (Snake, Shake, Barghast, Tiste Liosan, etc) but on rereads I picked up so many bits in earlier books that link to later events that it puts a lot of events in those last two books in a whole different light.

You were absolutely right gorefest. Just finished my first reread. Loved TtH, DoD and tCG!It takes 10k pages times two, but man, what a fantastic series.

This post has been edited by Avatar: 06 March 2017 - 09:33 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users