Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

general thoughts on HoC

#1 User is offline   Quick Ryan 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 15 January 2015 - 03:42 AM

Hi everybody. Been lurking for a few months now and just finished HoC. Loving the series so far. A couple random thoughts on Hoc: (beware spoilers)

1. Karsa is kind of a dick. I almost gave up on this book in the first portion because Karsa is such an asshole. I hope he eventually gets humbled.

2. Heboric flying through space seeing Jade statues etc - that whole scene is freaking EPIC.

3. CRUCIFIED OTATERAL DRAGON!!!

4. I expected more direct influence from the crippled god in a book named for his house of chains

5. Tavore was disappointing. I guess the bar is set pretty high with military commanders like Whiskeyjack and Coltaine, but most of her scenes were just underwhelming.

6. As much as I hated Karsa, it was still very satisfying when he eventually wrecks shop at the oasis.

#2 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 15 January 2015 - 04:17 AM

View PostQuick Ryan, on 15 January 2015 - 03:42 AM, said:

Hi everybody. Been lurking for a few months now and just finished HoC. Loving the series so far.

Welcome. I envy you for what you are going to read for the first time in the following books.

A couple random thoughts on Hoc: (beware spoilers)

1. Karsa is kind of a dick. I almost gave up on this book in the first portion because Karsa is such an asshole. I hope he eventually gets humbled.

Karsa is, initially, totally a dick.

He does get humbled tho... by Calm, by the slavers, by the Ashok marines, by the Lighthouse keeper, by Mappo... put a different way, could you see Karsa at the start of the book having the kind of big brother relationship he did with Felisin Younger by the end?

2. Heboric flying through space seeing Jade statues etc - that whole scene is freaking EPIC.

I've always loved that scene... it's barely two pages and just throws the whole scope of the series wide open.

3. CRUCIFIED OTATERAL DRAGON!!!

I KNOW!!!!!

4. I expected more direct influence from the crippled god in a book named for his house of chains

He was behind Karsa's whole start, the Rockfaces worked for him, and at the end he tried to seize the Whirlwind warren. No exactly sitting around smoking in a tent.

5. Tavore was disappointing. I guess the bar is set pretty high with military commanders like Whiskeyjack and Coltaine, but most of her scenes were just underwhelming.

Yah, Tavore doesn't really get to shine all that much in this book. RAFO on that.

6. As much as I hated Karsa, it was still very satisfying when he eventually wrecks shop at the oasis.

I particularly enjoyed his treatment of Bidithal and Febryl. They had it coming.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#3 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 15 January 2015 - 02:37 PM

View PostAbyss, on 15 January 2015 - 04:17 AM, said:

He does get humbled tho... by Calm, by the slavers, by the Ashok marines, by the Lighthouse keeper, by Mappo... put a different way, could you see Karsa at the start of the book having the kind of big brother relationship he did with Felisin Younger by the end?

Plus he weeped from opening the whirlwind book in DG... and then got disarmed and thrown 50 feet by a guy with no hands... even more humbling!

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#4 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 15 January 2015 - 06:22 PM

View PostD, on 15 January 2015 - 02:37 PM, said:

Plus he weeped from opening the whirlwind book in DG... and then got disarmed and thrown 50 feet by a guy with no hands... even more humbling!

On this point, I never understood his devotion to the Old Shaik, the book and the later Shaik. Seems out of character.

#5 User is offline   theocean 

• High Fist

Posted 15 January 2015 - 07:16 PM

View Postnacht, on 15 January 2015 - 06:22 PM, said:

View PostD, on 15 January 2015 - 02:37 PM, said:

On this point, I never understood his devotion to the Old Shaik, the book and the later Shaik. Seems out of character.

I think it was more his devotion to Leoman at first. Then he feels pressure to protect someone he kind of pressured into a situation that chained her, thus further chaining him. Everything with karsa is about chains. The souls chained to him. The friends/oaths/duties he has for himself. The missions and goals he has, everything is a chain in some way with Karsa.

#6 User is offline   Quick Ryan 

• Recruit

Posted 15 January 2015 - 07:53 PM

He does get humbled tho... by Calm, by the slavers, by the Ashok marines, by the Lighthouse keeper, by Mappo... put a different way, could you see Karsa at the start of the book having the kind of big brother relationship he did with Felisin Younger

Yeah Karsa does get beaten in combat by a few characters, but what I want to see is something that changes his perspective of "I'm Karsa Orlong so I will kill you if I feel like it". Not just a defeat on the field of battle but an attitude adjustment.

#7 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 15 January 2015 - 08:34 PM

Though, I wonder, would such a total change still be character development or already character derailment? His attitude is part of what makes him Karsa. Personally, I think a change in how he acts upon that attitude of his is more interesting than him losing said attitude.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#8 User is offline   Quick Ryan 

• Recruit

Posted 16 January 2015 - 12:58 AM

View PostPuck, on 15 January 2015 - 08:34 PM, said:

Though, I wonder, would such a total change still be character development or already character derailment? His attitude is part of what makes him Karsa. Personally, I think a change in how he acts upon that attitude of his is more interesting than him losing said attitude.

Very true. I guess I just wanna see somebody kick the crap out of him lol

#9 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 16 January 2015 - 03:54 AM

View PostQuick Ryan, on 15 January 2015 - 07:53 PM, said:

He does get humbled tho... by Calm, by the slavers, by the Ashok marines, by the Lighthouse keeper, by Mappo... put a different way, could you see Karsa at the start of the book having the kind of big brother relationship he did with Felisin Younger

Yeah Karsa does get beaten in combat by a few characters, but what I want to see is something that changes his perspective of "I'm Karsa Orlong so I will kill you if I feel like it". Not just a defeat on the field of battle but an attitude adjustment.

View PostQuick Ryan, on 16 January 2015 - 12:58 AM, said:

Very true. I guess I just wanna see somebody kick the crap out of him lol

Checks name of book forum....House of Chains....crap......stifles comments about to be typed out....

Umm...RAFO?

#10 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 16 January 2015 - 11:22 AM

Yeah, massive massive RAFO is all you can say really.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users