Malazan Empire: Mortal Sword/Destriant/Shield Anvil - in this book - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mortal Sword/Destriant/Shield Anvil - in this book Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   BellaGrace 

• Witness
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 13 January 2015 - 04:46 PM

I'm about to start TCG, and I m going through my notes from all the other books compiling a master list of questions I have that haven't been answered yet, and I found a question about part of DoD -

In every instance in the series, until DoD, the titles of Destriant, Mortal Sword and Shield Anvil have been given to people who are in service to a god or ascendant. In DoD, those titles are given to people in service to another race - the K'Chain Che Malle. I find that a bit confusing since there isn't a Shield Anvil for the Jaghut and Mortal Sword of the "humans" etc. Does this make the KCCM equivalent to gods? Is there a specific god of the KCCM that Stormy and Gesler are working for? Is this something explained in TCG?
I, a universe of atoms, an atom in the universe.
Richard P. Feynman

#2 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 13 January 2015 - 05:14 PM

View PostBellaGrace, on 13 January 2015 - 04:46 PM, said:

I'm about to start TCG, and I m going through my notes from all the other books compiling a master list of questions I have that haven't been answered yet, and I found a question about part of DoD -

In every instance in the series, until DoD, the titles of Destriant, Mortal Sword and Shield Anvil have been given to people who are in service to a god or ascendant. In DoD, those titles are given to people in service to another race - the K'Chain Che Malle. I find that a bit confusing since there isn't a Shield Anvil for the Jaghut and Mortal Sword of the "humans" etc. Does this make the KCCM equivalent to gods? Is there a specific god of the KCCM that Stormy and Gesler are working for? Is this something explained in TCG?

I believe this is hinted upon somewhere early on in DoD. The last remaining Matron had gone insane and felt that the Che'Malle had failed in all their wars, while humanity was thriving. So she wanted to find new champions for her and her kind among the humans. Either the MAtron considers herself a god, and/or they defer to the Eleint as their gods. either way, she seeks to emulate the human faith structures. Their first attempt failed with Redmask, who turned out to be unsuited. So in DoD she sends out Kalyth, her 'Destriant', to give it a try, as she thinks that the Che'Malle themselves lack the ability to seek out true champions.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#3 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 13 January 2015 - 05:51 PM

The roles can be taken different ways. Just because one or more gods do it one way doesn't mean that's the only way to do it.

Togg and Fanderay each had a D/SA/MS of each gender.

Heboric started out as Destriant to Trake, then essentially switched to Mortal Sword more or less because he felt like it. Also, he was dead at the time and Trake had no say in it.

Karsa never even wanted to be the CG or the House of Chains' Mortal Sword or Champion... he was basically drafted. Same for Trull and Shadow (tho he was only identified as Knight, never Mortal Sword).

The KChain matron saw a need to connect her race to the dominant race on the world, so she decided to experiment and aspect humans to her power, which encompasses her entire 'hive'. It's been said elsewhere that KChain matrons can rival gods for sheer power (MoI, MT), and her power connects her to every KChain she's ever hatched, so Stormy, Gesler and Whatsername found themselves linked to the hive. You'll note that unlike most other D/MS/SAs we've seen, none of them gained any real power from the link... they basically gained the ability to communicate with the lizards and the lizards gained a link to humanity.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#4 User is offline   BellaGrace 

• Witness

Posted 13 January 2015 - 08:47 PM

you guys, as always, make sense :(
I, a universe of atoms, an atom in the universe.
Richard P. Feynman

#5 User is offline   James Hutton 

• High Scholar of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 14 January 2015 - 01:02 PM

View PostAbyss, on 13 January 2015 - 05:51 PM, said:

Stormy, Gesler and Whatsername

Kalyth
Secret message: "Keep up the good work, yours truly"

#6 User is offline   heavymetaltroll 

• Sergeant

Posted 01 March 2015 - 06:03 AM

View PostAbyss, on 13 January 2015 - 05:51 PM, said:

The roles can be taken different ways. Just because one or more gods do it one way doesn't mean that's the only way to do it.

Togg and Fanderay each had a D/SA/MS of each gender.

Heboric started out as Destriant to Trake, then essentially switched to Mortal Sword more or less because he felt like it. Also, he was dead at the time and Trake had no say in it.

Karsa never even wanted to be the CG or the House of Chains' Mortal Sword or Champion... he was basically drafted. Same for Trull and Shadow (tho he was only identified as Knight, never Mortal Sword).

The KChain matron saw a need to connect her race to the dominant race on the world, so she decided to experiment and aspect humans to her power, which encompasses her entire 'hive'. It's been said elsewhere that KChain matrons can rival gods for sheer power (MoI, MT), and her power connects her to every KChain she's ever hatched, so Stormy, Gesler and Whatsername found themselves linked to the hive. You'll note that unlike most other D/MS/SAs we've seen, none of them gained any real power from the link... they basically gained the ability to communicate with the lizards and the lizards gained a link to humanity.

Heboric was shield anvil, not mortal sword of Trake, revealed at the end of BH.

In regards to Knight and Mortal Sword, they are essentially the same thing. Somewhere (I think its in MoI, by one of the Grey Helms) its stated that before the rise of the houses and their Knights that Fener had his own equivelent, the Mortal Sword. One could assume that the Elder Gods used them in the same way given the 1st Empire had them as revealed in RG.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users