• You cannot reply to this topic

Silchas Ruin

#1 User is offline   Niva 

• Recruit
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Reading, Art, Bodybuilding

Posted 13 January 2015 - 06:14 AM

Here's my latest Malazan inspired work, I'm probably going to break for a while from this topic and concentrate on some other stuff.

Posted Image

And here's an animated GIF of the process:

Posted Image

This was somewhat planned out in terms of look and feel though as you can see I started really loose and wanted to concentrate mostly on the character.
My website: eternalseven.com

#2 User is offline   Soulcrusher 

• Sergeant

Posted 13 January 2015 - 08:13 AM

Wow that's amazing :(

#3 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 13 January 2015 - 11:31 AM

Totally amazing, Niva. Love being able to see the process of how you worked on it.

I don't know if you have had a look at the images posted on the Wiki...

http://malazan.wikia...ategory:Fan_art

Any chance of persuading you to add your Silachas Ruin to the collection? Your image would go really well with the one Corporal Nobbs has uploaded.

By the way... anyone logging onto the wiki... you get a much better layout and easier to use site, if you register for an account and change your preferences to 'no ads' and 'MonoBook skin'.

#4 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 13 January 2015 - 02:02 PM

Love the detail on the armor and how you made the swords subtly different. The dragon head worked into the armor is a nice touch. The detail on the exposed neck and arms is a very nice touch. He looks intimidating and alien but the expression on his face grounds him just enough.
If I could offer one comment, his head seems a little small for the rest of the body.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#5 User is offline   Tarthenal Theloman Toblakai 

• Engineer Extraordinaire!
  • Interests:Engineering, books, films, gaming, gym, running, mountain biking

Posted 13 January 2015 - 07:20 PM

fantastic! looking at the gif, which is brilliant to see, i would say the head started fine but wider pouldrons make it seem small.
"There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail — should we fall — we will know that we have lived." ― Anomander Rake, Son of Darkness

#6 User is offline   Niva 

• Recruit
  • View gallery

Posted 19 January 2015 - 04:51 AM

Hey guys, thanks for the comments, especially pointing out the issue with the size of the head. I've updated my files and you can see the final changes in the GIF which has also been updated. Take care!

Also Egwene, about the wiki, since you mentioned the ads on that site, who is profiting from it? I've no problems allowing my images to be used so long as it's not for profit, that includes other images I've uploaded here or on my own site.

This post has been edited by Niva: 19 January 2015 - 05:36 AM

#7 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 19 January 2015 - 11:02 AM

I think it is just for general Wikipedia upkeep.

Awesome work by the way, love the little head adjust in your progress gif as well. Love to see more!

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 19 January 2015 - 11:03 AM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#8 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 19 January 2015 - 06:08 PM

View PostNiva, on 19 January 2015 - 04:51 AM, said:

Hey guys, thanks for the comments, especially pointing out the issue with the size of the head. I've updated my files and you can see the final changes in the GIF which has also been updated....

Awesome! Love it.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#9 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 19 January 2015 - 06:11 PM

View PostNiva, on 19 January 2015 - 04:51 AM, said:

Hey guys, thanks for the comments, especially pointing out the issue with the size of the head. I've updated my files and you can see the final changes in the GIF which has also been updated. Take care!

Also Egwene, about the wiki, since you mentioned the ads on that site, who is profiting from it? I've no problems allowing my images to be used so long as it's not for profit, that includes other images I've uploaded here or on my own site.

Niva, I am posting a link to the Wikipedia article about Wikia which should answer all your questions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikia

I am just thrilled that we have the opportunity to create a knowledge base for the Malazan world which, when you change the preference settings, looks pretty much like Wikipedia. Obviously, if anyone out there would like to pay me to edit... get in touch :-) In the meantime, I'll carry on burning the midnight oil unpaid because it's a little bit of a Malazan fix each time.

#10 User is offline   Niva 

• Recruit
  • View gallery

Posted 20 January 2015 - 05:33 AM

Egwene as I said earlier you have my permission to post my works there if you think they may be useful for your purposes. I'll be honest with you, I'm not entirely too comfortable with copyleft licenses since they allow modifications and redistributions, but by posting my work online I've really given up control over it. I'm not one of those people that really has much worries about that stuff. If my work actually becomes good enough that someone else starts banking on it that will be a sign for me to stop posting online without getting paid first. The article you linked to is a bit disturbing too in terms of the actual disclosures there about the company that owns and runs wikia, I didn't know that. That really doesn't change much for me since I'm not invested in it. My own copyright notice can be found here:

http://www.eternalse...m/?page_id=1206

So long as none of my clauses are violated I'm fine with it, even if the company who owns the wikia makes profit from advertisements from potential viewers of my work.

Thank you, good luck! We all need our Malazan fix and I support the cause.

#11 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 20 January 2015 - 08:35 PM

View PostNiva, on 20 January 2015 - 05:33 AM, said:

Egwene as I said earlier you have my permission to post my works there if you think they may be useful for your purposes. I'll be honest with you, I'm not entirely too comfortable with copyleft licenses since they allow modifications and redistributions, but by posting my work online I've really given up control over it. I'm not one of those people that really has much worries about that stuff. If my work actually becomes good enough that someone else starts banking on it that will be a sign for me to stop posting online without getting paid first. The article you linked to is a bit disturbing too in terms of the actual disclosures there about the company that owns and runs wikia, I didn't know that. That really doesn't change much for me since I'm not invested in it. My own copyright notice can be found here:

http://www.eternalse...m/?page_id=1206

So long as none of my clauses are violated I'm fine with it, even if the company who owns the wikia makes profit from advertisements from potential viewers of my work.

Thank you, good luck! We all need our Malazan fix and I support the cause.

Thanks for your good wishes and permission, Niva.

On the whole, I prefer for artists to upload any suitable image themselves. That way people can choose their preferred copyright settings etc. and maybe feel more in control of the process. Once an image is uploaded, I am quite happy to do any formatting/adding to text or whatever, where required. I understand though if that's not everyone's cup of tea.

I have added Silchas to the Wikia. Please take a look and let me know if you are happy with the result.

http://malazan.wikia...ki/Silchas_Ruin

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users