Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

TOR.com's Re-read of the Malazan Series

#1 User is offline   KidA 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 08 December 2014 - 12:51 AM

Hello everyone. I am brand new to the Malazan series and I'm incredibly surprised by how much I'm liking the first book in the series. I was quite apprehensive about starting this series mostly because of how tough it is widely known to be. Luckily I have found the first book intriguing even if many say it is the weakest. I really enjoy TOR's rereading of series. I followed the The First Law reread and really like reading the analysis of each chapter. I started reading the GOTM re-read but I'm worried about going further because of spoilers. The second post mentions that the writers of the articles will start delving into overall story arcs and themes of the whole series. I noticed on other posts that some of you have followed the TOR re-reads while starting the series and just wanted to figure out how much is spoiled from those articles. Is it safe for me to follow the articles with each chapter that I read? How far into the series do these articles spoil (if any across the various books)?

I can't wait to be fully engaged in this world as many of you are!

#2 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 08 December 2014 - 12:59 AM

As far as I remember, each chapter is divided up into a new reader half and a reread spoiler (full-series spoilers, not just current book spoilers) half, with the first timer going first, and starting at some point SE comes in and answers questions at the end of each book's reread. So you should be safe if you quit out after the first section.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#3 User is offline   KidA 

• Recruit

Posted 08 December 2014 - 01:08 AM

View PostIlluyankas, on 08 December 2014 - 12:59 AM, said:

As far as I remember, each chapter is divided up into a new reader half and a reread spoiler (full-series spoilers, not just current book spoilers) half, with the first timer going first, and starting at some point SE comes in and answers questions at the end of each book's reread. So you should be safe if you quit out after the first section.

Thanks for the reply! I really hope that is the case. I know the summaries wont spoil andything but I would love to able to read the commentary about the chapter. There are two writers analyzing each chapter. Hopefully one of them does not have spoilers.

#4 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 08 December 2014 - 01:23 AM

Amanda does not have spoilers. Bill doesn't spoil things outright but he does analyze stuff in context of the whole and offers hints to file away, which can get annoying if you're a first-timer w/ a zero tolerance policy. Avoid the comments sections.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#5 User is offline   KidA 

• Recruit

Posted 08 December 2014 - 01:40 AM

View Postworry, on 08 December 2014 - 01:23 AM, said:

Amanda does not have spoilers. Bill doesn't spoil things outright but he does analyze stuff in context of the whole and offers hints to file away, which can get annoying if you're a first-timer w/ a zero tolerance policy. Avoid the comments sections.

Thank you so much! I'll stick with Amanda. Zero tolerance policy for me.

#6 User is offline   Saitama 

• B-Class Superhero

Posted 08 December 2014 - 01:52 PM

I think that this reread is one of the best things that happened to the Malazan series, it really opened my eyes to some of the themes and SE's insights are invaluable. That being said, after a time I got tired of how Amanda focuses on trying to predict every minor thing. Something to the tune of: 'Who's this mysterious guy? Could this be him? Or the other guy?'

Who cares. Read and find out. In some cases, don't find out. It was interesting at the beginning, tiresome by the end. So I started to read them after I finished that particular book, for a mini-re read. That being said, it is still awesomely awesome.

#7 User is offline   KidA 

• Recruit

Posted 10 December 2014 - 05:38 AM

View PostSaitama, on 08 December 2014 - 01:52 PM, said:

I think that this reread is one of the best things that happened to the Malazan series, it really opened my eyes to some of the themes and SE's insights are invaluable. That being said, after a time I got tired of how Amanda focuses on trying to predict every minor thing. Something to the tune of: 'Who's this mysterious guy? Could this be him? Or the other guy?'

Who cares. Read and find out. In some cases, don't find out. It was interesting at the beginning, tiresome by the end. So I started to read them after I finished that particular book, for a mini-re read. That being said, it is still awesomely awesome.

I totally agree with you. I also wonder sometimes why Amanda focuses on certain things rather than others. Confusion can certainly be subjective.

#8 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 10 December 2014 - 07:29 AM

She loves horsies.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#9 User is offline   Tru 

• Sergeant

Posted 10 December 2014 - 04:56 PM

View Postworry, on 10 December 2014 - 07:29 AM, said:

She loves horsies.

lol.

So I started to read them after I finished that particular book, for a mini-re read. That being said, it is still awesomely awesome.

I've not done it because I was on book 6 when I found out about the re-reads, but when I finish the series I plan too. Seems like a lot of fun, especially for those who feel the post series depression coming on. The above quote is what I would have done anyway. The novels are long enough on their own, and I'd like to think I have some ability to comprehend smart people stuff without a smart people telling me how smart they are.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users