Malazan Empire: Questions about the first 100 pages (No spoilers past 100 pages please) - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Questions about the first 100 pages (No spoilers past 100 pages please)

#1 User is offline   Math2 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 07 December 2014 - 04:30 PM

I thoroughly enjoyed the first 2 books but as I start the 3rd book I feel as if I'm missing what's going on. As I understand it:

200,000+ years ago 2 Jaghut children fill the rent above Morn, freeing an unknown being

100,000+ years ago A god was called from another world to attempt to destroy Kallor, but it instead destroyed much of the world. 3 Elder Gods attempt to free Kallor's slaves but finds he killed them all, and puts their ashes into what would become the Imperial Warren. Kallor will never ascend

Toc: Was spit out around Morn, finds the T'lan Tool, who meets with Lady Envy. Then begin to journey north, presumably Tool wants to join Tattersail. There was something that dug itself out of the city below Morn

Paran: Apparently something unknown possesses him. He blames himself for the cull (which I wasn't sure it's purpose really. Why was the Cull ordered?), and is journeying to Pale. I was a bit confused on his location, is it somewhere between Darujhistan and Pale, just monitoring trade?

Quick Ben: Follows the servant of the Crippled God, escapes him, but realizes that he is sickening Burn. I'm not really sure here what the distinction is between Burn in the warren and in the real world. Why aren't there signs of sicknessin the real world?

In Pale: Meeting between Brood and Dujek. The Crows were the maggots born off of the crippled God. Kallor fears Tattersail, who turns out to be the leader of the T'lan Imass. They are planning to march toward Capustan publicly while sending people inside of it. If it falls, they will march to Coral.

Am I understanding it correctly?

This post has been edited by Math2: 07 December 2014 - 04:31 PM

#2 User is offline   Esa1996 

• Fist

Posted 07 December 2014 - 05:05 PM

As far as I can remember that's correct. What was the confusing part? You have everything down pretty much perfectly. :The Force:

Paran and the Bridgeburners are located on the eastern shore of Lake Azure, north of Darujhistan, on their way to Pale.

The Culls are traditional events whenever the Malazans conquer a new city. Killing some of the nobles will keep the rest in line, as they know what's coming if they try to rebel.

#3 User is offline   Math2 

• Recruit

Posted 07 December 2014 - 05:13 PM

View PostEsa1996, on 07 December 2014 - 05:05 PM, said:

As far as I can remember that's correct. What was the confusing part? You have everything down pretty much perfectly. :The Force:

Paran and the Bridgeburners are located on the eastern shore of Lake Azure, north of Darujhistan, on their way to Pale.

The Culls are traditional events whenever the Malazans conquer a new city. Killing some of the nobles will keep the rest in line, as they know what's coming if they try to rebel.

I just had that itching feeling that I wasn't catching it all. Thanks

I mean the Cull within Unta(?) where Felisin got sent to the OtataralMines

#4 User is offline   Esa1996 

• Fist

Posted 07 December 2014 - 06:09 PM

View PostMath2, on 07 December 2014 - 05:13 PM, said:

View PostEsa1996, on 07 December 2014 - 05:05 PM, said:

I just had that itching feeling that I wasn't catching it all. Thanks

I mean the Cull within Unta(?) where Felisin got sent to the Otataral Mines

Ah. Thought you were talking about the one in the beginning of GotM. Hmm. To be honest I can't remember why there was a Cull in Unta. I'm almost certain it is told at some point, but I just can't remember. Perhaps I could thus say to RAFO?

#5 User is offline   D'iversify 

• First Sword

Posted 07 December 2014 - 06:36 PM

View PostEsa1996, on 07 December 2014 - 06:09 PM, said:

To be honest I can't remember why there was a Cull in Unta. I'm almost certain it is told at some point, but I just can't remember
Pretty sure the Untan Cull was just more of Laseen attempting to tighten her grip on the empire by intimidating the nobility so as to keep them in line. Also, targeting the hated nobility was apparently pretty popular with the Untan hoi polloi, so Laseen can be seen to be killing two birds with one stone by quelling dissent among the nobles and increasing her regime's popularity with the populace. Heboric pretty much spells it out at the beginning of Deadhouse Gates - "The peasants need to be roused. We're first, girl, and the example's got to be established. What happens here in Unta is going to rattle every nobleborn in the Empire" (p. 30); also see his later thoughts - "The Empress made few mistakes. She'd used the opportunity to round up malcontents and unaligned academics, to close the fist of military presence on the capital, drumming the need for more troops, more recruits, more protection against the treasonous scheming of the noble class. The seized assets paid for this military expansion" (p. 33).
I am the Onyx Wizards

#6 User is offline   Math2 

• Recruit

Posted 09 December 2014 - 08:22 PM

OK, so I'm farther along in the book now, so spoilers up to around page 280

It was just revealed that Barghast were T'Lan Imass that couldn't attend the Ritual. It mentions "Tarethno Toblakai" and I was unsure what "Toblakai" was. It's said Tarethno was "elder people", but I didn't know (or didn't recall) what Toblakai was.

#7 User is offline   Tru 

• Sergeant

Posted 09 December 2014 - 09:04 PM

View PostMath2, on 09 December 2014 - 08:22 PM, said:

OK, so I'm farther along in the book now, so spoilers up to around page 280

It was just revealed that Barghast were T'Lan Imass that couldn't attend the Ritual. It mentions "Tarethno Toblakai" and I was unsure what "Toblakai" was. It's said Tarethno was "elder people", but I didn't know (or didn't recall) what Toblakai was.

I think Barghast were descended kin of T'Lan Imass, but a mixed breed with Toblakai. I could be wrong on this, I got it off a wiki somewhere I think. But you will learn much more about Toblakai as the series progresses.

#8 User is offline   Fiddler 

• Fiddler

Posted 09 December 2014 - 11:06 PM

Toblakai is that guardian of Shai'k the whirlwind seer in DG, he stands well over 7ft tall and got tossed like a ragdoll by Heboric. The Tartheno Toblakai were just the older version of his people, back when they had a kingdom of such and all. As far as everything else goes, you've pretty much got it all in hand. A lot of plot threads get taken care of in this book and it is very awesome, so just keep reading and it will most likely be revealed :The Force:

#9 User is offline   Math2 

• Recruit

Posted 09 December 2014 - 11:53 PM

View PostFiddler, on 09 December 2014 - 11:06 PM, said:

Toblakai is that guardian of Shai'k the whirlwind seer in DG, he stands well over 7ft tall and got tossed like a ragdoll by Heboric. The Tartheno Toblakai were just the older version of his people, back when they had a kingdom of such and all. As far as everything else goes, you've pretty much got it all in hand. A lot of plot threads get taken care of in this book and it is very awesome, so just keep reading and it will most likely be revealed :The Force:

Thanks! That's why it seems pretty familiar!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users