• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Chaining of Elemental Forces foreshadowing/reoccurring themes

#1 User is offline   zoser55 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 04 December 2014 - 06:03 PM

CHAPTER FIVE
For nine hundred years the breath of gas had fed at least one of the city's districts. Though pipes had been sundered by raging tenement fires and gouts of flame reached hundreds of feet into the sky, the Greyfaces had held on, twisting the shackles and driving their invisible dragon to its knees.

I'm going through my 1st re-read and its simply amazing to grasp the larger picture and appreciate the more subtle aspects of the story, Erikson's writing and potential foreshadowing/reoccurring themes.

This passage describing Darujihstan stood out to me - It seems like Erikson writes often of humans overcoming and controlling the forces surrounding them - and in effect chaining them; he as well often states (maybe in his Q&A if not in the books) about the parallelism of the Elder Gods (and possibly other specific characters) to being/representing elemental forces.

Wonder if there is any foreshadowing here or just feels that way seeing how he would naturally write such passages without 2nd thought (or maybe just subconscious thought).

#2 User is offline   umarsahb 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 19 March 2015 - 07:57 AM

I'm going through my 1st re-read and its simply amazing to grasp the larger picture and appreciate the more subtle aspects of the story, Erikson's writing and potential foreshadowing/reoccurring themes.
raza

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users