Malazan Empire: GoTM just Finished: reread or keep pushing? - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

GoTM just Finished: reread or keep pushing?

#1 User is offline   Mist 

• Corporal
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 22 November 2014 - 09:55 PM

Hi all, new to this. Never posted before. Just finished GoTM and although the start is a little hard to follow, I think this one of the best books I've read. Things get really going as from the Toc, the younger first chapter and can't let go. So much going on, so many questions, the stroy is sooo big you just feel the need to keep going.

So here my question. After the heavy load of information spilled in the book, I thought it wise to reread inmediatly, but many of you in this forum suggest to keep going and reread futher on. My intention is to read the series as follows:

Gardens of the Moon
Deadhouse Gates
Memories of Ice
House of Chains
Midnight Tides
Night of Knives
The Bonehunters
Reaper's Gale
Return of the Crimson Guard
Toll of Hounds
Stonewielder
Dust of Dreams
Orb Sceptre Throne
The Crippled God
Blood and Bone
Assail

So, what do you recommend: reread or keep pushing?

Thanks for the comments

#2 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 22 November 2014 - 09:59 PM

Keep pushing. Don't do rereads until you are done with the series. Every book informs all previous books so rereading isn't just about following the plot of a single book or merely being more familiar with the characters at hand.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#3 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 22 November 2014 - 10:00 PM

In other words, you don't reread GotM to be better prepared for Deadhouse Gates. You read Deadhouse Gates to better understand GotM. And so on.

#4 User is offline   Mcardle 

• Sergeant

Posted 22 November 2014 - 11:48 PM

Push on! And Witness!!!
Last In, First Out

#5 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 23 November 2014 - 01:08 AM

As a general approach i say keep going... And add that I envy you for what you're going to read for the first time. If you enjoyed GotM... Oh... You are in for a treat.
That said, I frequently finish a book and immediately jump back to read the best parts.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#6 User is offline   Mist 

• Corporal

Posted 23 November 2014 - 04:16 PM

Hi thanks for your comments. I have already started deadhouse gates!!! Can always return to GoTM.

Any comments on the reading order posted? I understand you all agree with it!

#7 User is offline   Tru 

• Sergeant

Posted 23 November 2014 - 04:36 PM

Your read order is the one I'm currently using. (reading Reapers Gale currently) So I'm not gonna argue with it. I think it's what many agree is a good first read through. I know that there are alternative suggestions for a re-read though. Also, I agree with everyone else here, keep going. You won't understand GotM one bit more without further knowledge of the series, the characters, and the goals they have. As a byproduct, when you finally do re-read it, you will enjoy it even more.

#8 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 23 November 2014 - 04:44 PM

That's a good reading order, pretty close to the order I read them in. That said Dust of Dreams and Crippled God are best read as one book, personally I think it's unlikely you will get to the end of dust of dreams and want to read about an entirely different set of characters in orb sceptre throne, rather than continue the epic story you are in. So you might want to read OST before dust of dreams in order to get the full dust of dreams/crippled god experience.

#9 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 24 November 2014 - 06:47 PM

View PostImperial Historian, on 23 November 2014 - 04:44 PM, said:

That's a good reading order, pretty close to the order I read them in. That said Dust of Dreams and Crippled God are best read as one book, personally I think it's unlikely you will get to the end of dust of dreams and want to read about an entirely different set of characters in orb sceptre throne, rather than continue the epic story you are in. So you might want to read OST before dust of dreams in order to get the full dust of dreams/crippled god experience.

Agreed - OST can come before or after but DoD back to back with TCG is epic fantasy fan heaven.

#10 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 25 November 2014 - 01:56 AM

I randomly picked up this series sometime ago, when I read it...I did the worst thing ever.

I read deadhouse gates FIRST then GOTM. I was pissed cause I was like 100 pages in when I noticed..on a vacation/blind buy at the store type situation. The rest is history as you see it led me to this place. I'm thinking its time for a re-read myself, been toooooo long.

This post has been edited by Nicodimas: 25 November 2014 - 01:57 AM

-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#11 User is offline   Tru 

• Sergeant

Posted 25 November 2014 - 02:00 AM

View PostNicodimas, on 25 November 2014 - 01:56 AM, said:

I randomly picked up this series sometime ago, when I read it...I did the worst thing ever.

I read deadhouse gates FIRST then GOTM. I was pissed cause I was like 100 pages in when I noticed..on a vacation/blind buy at the store type situation. The rest is history as you see it led me to this place. I'm thinking its time for a re-read myself, been toooooo long.

I'm guessing that increased the number of "WTF?" moments you had above what most people already have after reading it in the correct order.

#12 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 25 November 2014 - 02:20 AM

I believe Drek already has this huge and mind-bogglingly complete diagram on a non-spoiler read order, in the New Members area. You could look at that. Having said that, I read TtH - SW - DoD - TCG - OST - B&B - Assail, mainly because I could not stop myself from picking up TCG after DoD.

#13 User is offline   Mist 

• Corporal

Posted 25 November 2014 - 03:56 PM

Hi, ok. I've updated the order and will finally be doing:
Gardens of the Moon (read)
Deadhouse Gates (reading)
Memories of Ice
House of Chains
Midnight Tides
Night of Knives
The Bonehunters
Reaper's Gale
Return of the Crimson Guard
Toll of Hounds
Stonewielder
Dust of Dreams
The Crippled God
Orb Sceptre Throne
Blood and Bone
Assail

Thanks all for the comments. It is exicting and looking forward to this experience. Honestly can't understand the negative comments about GoTM. Being an epic fantasy lover, I felt like a child on christmas day with many good presents and not knowing which one to play with!!!

#14 User is offline   Mcardle 

• Sergeant

Posted 25 November 2014 - 08:09 PM

That's some epic amount of reading ahead! When do you think you'll be finished?
Last In, First Out

#15 User is offline   Mist 

• Corporal

Posted 25 November 2014 - 08:15 PM

Yes, it is certainly a hell of a lot of reading, but I tend to get through a book per month... Making it 15 months the least... But more probably 18 or 20. 😅

#16 User is offline   Kruppe'sStainedClothing 

• Recruit

Posted 13 May 2015 - 01:01 AM

I'm only on dead house but those that are suggesting reading crippled god and dust of dreams at the same time is there a chapter reading order list? or do you just switch off chapter1 of crippled and then chapter one of dust and then chapter 2 of crippled and then chapter 2 of dust and so on and so forth

#17 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 13 May 2015 - 01:18 AM

Nobody in the world has suggested that, I would hope. TCG is a direct sequel to DoD, not simultaneous.

#18 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 13 May 2015 - 02:16 AM

By no means should you try reading them simultaneously. They are sequels. Refer to the read-order thread in the new members area

#19 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 13 May 2015 - 03:31 AM

Possibly confusing BLOOD AND BONE which is more or less contemporaneous with events in DoD and TCG, or possibly DG and MOI.In any event I agree w upthread... Read the books in order... Published or otherwise.

#20 User is offline   Kruppe's snacky cakes 

• First Sword

Posted 15 May 2015 - 10:18 PM

I like to read one word out of each book, and then go back and read the 2nd word out of each book, etc. It takes a long time, and it's almost as confusing as reading it normally, but sometimes you stumble upon creepy messages, like when playing Beatles albums backwards.
I'm George. George McFly. I'm your density. I mean...your destiny.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users