Malazan Empire: Who played Kef Tanar? - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1

Who played Kef Tanar?

#1 User is offline   simz1987 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:02 PM

Couldn't find another thread discussing this particular quote/issue, but if one exists please direct me there so as to avoid repetition.

Though this happened it TTH I am asking this here due to the comment Jethiss made at the end of Assail. While I believe(d) that Jethiss was Spinnock not Rake, one thing always bugged me from TTH which i don't remember ever being explained.

Chapter 2 TTH

Without turning, Anomander Rakes aid "The game, Spinnock?"

"You won again, Lord. But it was close."

At first I thought maybe Rake was for some reason playing the game (Kef Tanar) through/via Spinnock for some obscure reason, yet it was never addressed again and later conversations seem to infer this is not the case. So what does the above mean? it seems very out of character for Rake to take credit/consider trivial victories of unimportant games as a personal achievement.

Maybe I'm thinking too much into this but i did consider whether these were very subtle clues and everything else was a deliberate misdirection. Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks.

#2 User is offline   James Hutton 

• High Scholar of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 12 November 2014 - 05:20 PM

View Postsimz1987, on 12 November 2014 - 04:02 PM, said:

Couldn't find another thread discussing this particular quote/issue, but if one exists please direct me there so as to avoid repetition.

Though this happened it TTH I am asking this here due to the comment Jethiss made at the end of Assail. While I believe(d) that Jethiss was Spinnock not Rake, one thing always bugged me from TTH which i don't remember ever being explained.

Chapter 2 TTH

At first I thought maybe Rake was for some reason playing the game (Kef Tanar) through/via Spinnock for some obscure reason, yet it was never addressed again and later conversations seem to infer this is not the case. So what does the above mean? it seems very out of character for Rake to take credit/consider trivial victories of unimportant games as a personal achievement.

Maybe I'm thinking too much into this but i did consider whether these were very subtle clues and everything else was a deliberate misdirection. Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks.

I thought Kef Tanar was played with each player controlling an Edur faction, with Spinnock controlling the one lead by Rake. Maybe Kef Tanar is a game based on the events described in the Karkhanas trilogy.
Secret message: "Keep up the good work, yours truly"

#3 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 12 November 2014 - 05:39 PM

View Postsimz1987, on 12 November 2014 - 04:02 PM, said:

Chapter 2 TTH

Umm this Rake/Spinnock issue has had a lot of discussion. You might want to Abyss' Assail thread to start with.

#4 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 12 November 2014 - 05:53 PM

Spinnock plays the game as Anomander would, making the same kind of moves, etc. So when he says that he is basically implying that Anomander's moves wont he game for him. Also, this could allude to the game piece, which has a certain silver haired andii as inspiration, or rather he could be alluding to the future, and how Rake's gambit to destroy Dragnipur and defeat the chaos armies works out. Or its all three and then some.
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#5 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 12 November 2014 - 06:10 PM

Iirc, the game piece Spinnock uses represents Rake, as the game is based on events from back in Kharkanas. AS Spinnock wins the game using the figure that represents Rake, he cracks the joke that it was Rake who won the game. As far as I understand it, Spinnock always plays using the Rake game piece and wins quite a lot, hence the 'again' part. Since Spinnock does pretty much everything he does in the name of/at the request of Rake, he just humourously extends this to the Kef Tanar game, while Rake shows interest in Spinnock's gaming activities, which I guess serves to show how he cherishes Spinnock as more than just some random warrior in his service.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#6 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 12 November 2014 - 08:32 PM

It's also gallows humor, because even though Rake "won" whatever happens in Kharkanas all those years back, look at the state of the Andii now. It's a wry, bittersweet joke between two old friends who know the price of "winning" in their real world as opposed to the game. These are not men prone to self-pity, but that doesn't mean given their burdens that they don't have regrets or even guilt that sticks in their minds.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 12 November 2014 - 09:10 PM

MODGOD NOTICE OF THREAD TITLE EDIT, JUST TO PROTECT THE EASILY SPOILED.
CARRY ON.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#8 User is offline   simz1987 

• Recruit

Posted 13 November 2014 - 01:36 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies i think i get it now and apologies for dodgy title.

#9 User is offline   Vaddon Ra 

• Fist

Posted 16 March 2015 - 12:19 AM

Lol Just read a review (an amazon one so doesn't count for anything) of Assail and one of the criticism was bringing back every malazan casuals favourite top quarterback...MRRRR RAKE...

Clearly they didn't really lol TTH or TCG XD It's Spinnock,

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users