Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Itkovian and Gruntle Convo

#1 User is offline   theocean 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:15 PM

Prior to gruntle leaving to catch up and aid dujek and WJ... they have a convo and gruntle says something along the lines of he believes they are about to be betrayed... Then Itkovian says to Gruntle that if you really look at things a betrayl basically had already happened.... was he talking about their refusal to quick march with WJ to help the High fist?

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:50 PM

I am fuzzy on the timeline.

Could be the intentions of the Malazans.

Could be referring to Silverfox refusing to release the Imass.

Could be Rath'Fener.

Could be Gethol turning his back on Hood.

Could be Silverfox hunting her mother in her dreams and eating her lifeforce.

Could be Kallor making a deal with the CG.

Could be Kruppe cheating at cards.

#3 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 05 November 2014 - 02:51 AM

‘Mortal Sword.’
‘What is it, Itkovian?’
‘What lies ahead, sir, that troubles you so?’
‘I’m not sure, friend, but I’m feeling sick to my stomach. I believe we are about to be betrayed.’
Itkovian had said nothing to that for a long moment, then, ‘Sir, if one regards recent events with an unclouded eye, then one might observe that the betrayal has already occurred.’
Gruntle had simply shrugged, turning to his followers. ‘Stay tight, you damned misfits. Anyone straggles at the start and you’ll be left behind.’

I assume this is what you are referring to.

As for trhe betrayal that Itkovian thinks has already happened is the Malazans deceptive seperate forced march to Coral.

As for the betrayal that will happen that Gruntle senses, please, do not, under any condition read this until you have finished MoI: because it is a huge SPOILER

Spoiler

#4 User is offline   theocean 

• High Fist

Posted 05 November 2014 - 03:23 PM

I am on a re-read so ive read it all. I just didnt notice it the first time around. So you think Itkovian thinks it was the malazans who were the ones behind the betrayl. I read it as he thinks the group they are with (broods army) betrayed the high fist by not marching to his aid and basically condemning them to a bad outcome/a slaughtering.

I felt like the timing was weird for it to be the one who are talking about. I thought that happened in the book prior to the conversation between itkovain and gruntle.

This post has been edited by theocean: 05 November 2014 - 03:24 PM

#5 User is offline   Joe_Cool_75 

• Recruit
  • Interests:Astronomy, History, Science in general, Sports (basketball, football, baseball, bowling), Poker, Reading......

Posted 12 April 2016 - 07:02 AM

I read it as he thinks the group they are with (broods army) betrayed the high fist by not marching to his aid and basically condemning them to a bad outcome/a slaughtering.

That is an interesting take on the situation...you wouldn't have to try very hard to convince me that it is the correct interpretation. My money has been on the outcome that Kallor's deception to place himself near Silverfox (his opening he bargained for) was the betrayal Itkovian inferred. However, that raises the question of how he knew about Kallor, and why he wouldn't have said something to someone. So, it makes more sense to have the betrayal refer to the Malazan's chicanery with splitting their forces. Hmmm...

This post has been edited by Joe_Cool_75: 12 April 2016 - 07:05 AM

#6 User is offline   Joe_Cool_75 

• Recruit
  • Interests:Astronomy, History, Science in general, Sports (basketball, football, baseball, bowling), Poker, Reading......

Posted 12 April 2016 - 07:06 AM

...or theocean's view would work as well!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users