Malazan Empire: The Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread - Malazan Empire

• 54 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread Awww yissssss!

#761 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 03 August 2021 - 04:29 PM

View PostAptorian, on 03 August 2021 - 03:47 PM, said:

Episode 6 was stupid bullshit and if that is their setup for the Next Big Bad they fucked it all up.

It was his variant, not him in flesh (yet).
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#762 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 04 August 2021 - 09:17 AM

I really enjoyed the beginning of Loki, but I agree with Apt that they failed his character by the end. A Loki redemption ark should not be to make him more like a typical american idealised super hero or whatever. That just makes him as boring as all the other superheroes. At the end there should be only one true choice for the god of chaos, and preserving the artificially stagnant status quo is not it.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#763 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 04 August 2021 - 12:51 PM

Yep. Oddly enough I really enjoyed almost everything about the series, except most of Loki.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#764 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 04 August 2021 - 03:05 PM

Agree somewhat on the 'humanising' of Loki.

Buuuuuutttt, it's Disney so not surprised.

I hope he will revert to type though, that snap smile he pulls when sneakyness is afoot belongs on the chaos god

#765 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 04 August 2021 - 03:19 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 03 August 2021 - 04:29 PM, said:

View PostAptorian, on 03 August 2021 - 03:47 PM, said:

Episode 6 was stupid bullshit and if that is their setup for the Next Big Bad they fucked it all up.

It was his variant, not him in flesh (yet).

I am happy if that is the case...

I was thinking if this version of...

Spoiler

Is the version we are going to get as the big bad for the next stage then this version is pretty lame, too quirky and jovial.

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#766 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 04 August 2021 - 03:45 PM

At the start of the show and especially during episode 5, I was certain that the time keepers were going to be:

Spoiler

#767 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 04 August 2021 - 04:17 PM

View PostAptorian, on 04 August 2021 - 03:45 PM, said:

At the start of the show and especially during episode 5, I was certain that the time keepers were going to be:

Spoiler

That would require actually using the time travel/alternate dimensions concept though. The writers who thought "we can have our big set pieces occur at any time and place in history... so how about some random shopping mall and a planet that was never mentioned ever before?" weren't going to come up with that :p

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#768 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 04 August 2021 - 04:33 PM

Spoiler

To be fair, this is EXACTLY what flunked the endings of Wandavision and FATWS...they both aspired to something grander, and ended on really EXPECTED notes...

LOKI seemed like it was headed in the exact direction you suggest and I would have found that not only boring but a copout...so the way they went is way better, for me anyways.

View PostD, on 04 August 2021 - 04:17 PM, said:

Spoiler

That would require actually using the time travel/alternate dimensions concept though. The writers who thought "we can have our big set pieces occur at any time and place in history... so how about some random shopping mall and a planet that was never mentioned ever before?" weren't going to come up with that :p

It's worth noting that the mall being ROXXCART is a planted piece of future MCU lore that hints at things to come. It's not just some mall. It's intentionally a ROXXCART mall.

ROXXON

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 04 August 2021 - 04:36 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#769 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 04 August 2021 - 09:47 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 04 August 2021 - 04:33 PM, said:

It's worth noting that the mall being ROXXCART is a planted piece of future MCU lore that hints at things to come. It's not just some mall. It's intentionally a ROXXCART mall.

ROXXON

Pfft, I doubt it. They just went and grabbed the reference, doesn't mean they are planning to do anything with it. Just like Nebula and Gamora being on planet Korbin didn't suddenly tie into a Beta Ray Bill movie the next year, or the infinity gauntlet in Thor ended up having to be retconned as fake, or the human torch suit in captain america, or...

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#770 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 05 August 2021 - 04:46 AM

Likely accurate, but Roxxon's a really convenient Marvel easter egg and all purpose villainous corporation.
Whatever you need... throw them at the Eternals for immortality drugs, have them steal Tony's tech for Armor Wars, drilling in the sea to piss off Namor, genetic something something mutants, hostile takeover AIM from M.O.D.O.K....
You name it, Roxxon can do it.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#771 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 18 August 2021 - 06:11 PM

View PostBriar King, on 18 August 2021 - 05:56 PM, said:

Ep 2 of What If was off the charts absolute fucking dope with fucking pie and fucking whip cream and you fuckers need to fucking watch it asfuckingp.

Excited to watch it. The last ever performance of Chadwick Boseman as T'Challa. He recorded it while he was quite sick near the end. Is it dedicated to him? I hope so.

#772 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 18 August 2021 - 08:29 PM

Can someone non-spoiler me about What If? I feel like the other shows appeared with quite a lot of pomp and flair whereas this just seems to have appeared!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#773 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 19 August 2021 - 01:41 PM

What do you want to know? If it's just the premise: It's based on a long-running Marvel series of one-off stories where alternate realities, and specifically intriguing questions, are explored (eg What if Mr. Fantastic ate Galactus? What if Professor X had a Mohawk? etc.). The show is the same thing, but it's embedded in the multiverse arc (or at least using it as a springboard). Also it's a cartoon, so it presumably can pull from a much wider roster.

Here's the new trailer for The Eternals:
A lot more color than the previous trailers, though it still looks pretty unique among the MCU. There's a little more info on the actual story. Maybe a little too much, if you wanna go in pure. But I think it's the best promo for the movie so far in terms of making me optimistic.

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#774 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 19 August 2021 - 02:00 PM

View Postworry, on 19 August 2021 - 01:41 PM, said:

What do you want to know? If it's just the premise: It's based on a long-running Marvel series of one-off stories where alternate realities, and specifically intriguing questions, are explored (eg What if Mr. Fantastic ate Galactus? What if Professor X had a Mohawk? etc.). The show is the same thing, but it's embedded in the multiverse arc (or at least using it as a springboard). Also it's a cartoon, so it presumably can pull from a much wider roster.

Here's the new trailer for The Eternals:
A lot more color than the previous trailers, though it still looks pretty unique among the MCU. There's a little more info on the actual story. Maybe a little too much, if you wanna go in pure. But I think it's the best promo for the movie so far in terms of making me optimistic.

Yeah, that trailer is SOOOOOOO much better than the first (which I already liked) simply because a lot of the prospective audience won't know that this is an MCU movie off that first trailer, but this one focuses hard down on that.

It also looks gorgeous and Chloe is bringing a sensibility to the visuals that I feel like will step up from what we've seen.

We were instructed to never interfere in human life unless the Deviants were involved...

BY WHO?

Cut to shot of a Celestial.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck.

#775 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 24 August 2021 - 03:07 AM

New Spider-Man No Way Home trailer is out.

Not going to link the thing because it's way too full of spoilers. It's like watching a two minute synopsis, so I stopped when I got the gist of the plot.

Pretty funny premise, though I wonder why Dr. Strange would go through with such a plan.

#776 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 24 August 2021 - 04:53 AM

Aw man, I watched it and now I'm angry at myself. There is quite a bit that is revealed. Buuuuuut, I wonder if this is somehow tied into the What If..? stuff and so there shouldn't be so much read into what is shown in the trailer? Isn't that something the MCU shows are trying to be clever with? The deal where they hopscotch a currently running property into the next one (be it Disney+ series or new movie)?

[EDIT] And dag gummit, of all the Marvel stuff I've seen, the Spider Man movies are probably my favorite.

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 24 August 2021 - 04:54 AM

#777 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 24 August 2021 - 08:49 AM

Haven't seen any official comments on the matter but I suspect they're going to use alternate timelines, connected to infinity stones shenanigans, as an excuse to replace the established set of actors, with alternate reality versions. It will give them room to tweak the characters and hire somebody who doesn't cost 50 million per movie.

#778 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 24 August 2021 - 05:46 PM

I don't think that's what they're going for, though it'll be a way to reintroduce Cap and Iron Man in future if they want it. What I think they're doing now is meddling with alternate realities and timelines in order to bring the Fox properties into the 'verse without pretending they've all just shown up new at once.

They don't particularly need Infinity Stones to do either thing though.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#779 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 24 August 2021 - 06:17 PM

After
Spoiler
they definitely don't need Infinity Stones for any of that
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#780 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 25 August 2021 - 12:50 AM

Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 54 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic