• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Prominent SF troll has been outed

#61 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 14 November 2014 - 11:19 AM

The Internet is real life.

She started "trolling" as an adult and it's lasted over a decade.

Issuing threats and inciting violence aren't facets of a merely rude exchange, they are criminal acts.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#62 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 14 November 2014 - 01:16 PM

View PostAmaryl, on 14 November 2014 - 10:51 AM, said:

Personally I think it is good that an asshole is outed, and pointed out. Mainly this is so that hopefully the asshole will come to see the error's of his/her ways and that he/she will repent. The problem with removing the shield of anonymity in my eyes is this: If i'm an asshole to people IRL, I'll eventually get my comeuppance. Which is totally fair and after that or a year or two I change, and become a nonasshole. From this point forth - every new contact will know me as the nonasshole and will be unburdened by my assholishness, it might come up in discussions how I was previously, but i'm not an asshole. On the internet however, a post made in 2006, that I read in 2014, is that same as a post I made in 2014. To the new people i'm trying to connect with, i'm an asshole, because that is a large part of my profile. I cannot change that, I cannot grow out of it. I cannot be me now, without the crap I did years ago still representing me as i am now. Yeah, In real life i'll still be an asshole to everyone I was an asshole to those bridges are burnt. But on the internet i'm pre-emptively burning bridges with people i haven't been in contact with. And I believe that's something worth considering.

Just to play devil's advocate.

Being treated for the rest of your life, based on the horrible ways you treated others in the past, is something worth considering before you start stalking and trolling people.

This isn't a case of being snarky or opinionated. This is/was a determined troll with an agenda.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#63 User is offline   Amaryl 

• Recruit

Posted 17 November 2014 - 10:01 AM

I'm not against her being outed, I think its good -now- because this is the shit she's been doing now. Nor am I opposed to not buy her books just because she is/was a horrible dick to others, I don't buy orson scott card for a reason.

However, I do wonder what will happen 10-20 years down the line. When (hopefully) she has repented. Will she still be the fucking troll that almost drove some-one to suicide, or just another SF-writer, with a few bad notes on her record of the past.

Currently, I'm afraid the internet and how we consume the internet isn't equipped to deal with the latter, even after a sincere apology. Then again my opinion isn't directed at this troll in particular but more in general to everyone that posts stupid dickish things and is later sorry for it and changes.

#64 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 17 November 2014 - 11:02 AM

Yes it should! Maybe that makes me a bit harsh, but if she's been enough of an idiot to go around making threats and being abusive to her contemporaries, I'd say it's just desserts if her career suffers.

I think this sort of thing is helped by the supposed anonymity of the internet, – so that's exactly what should be stripped away in my view.

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 17 November 2014 - 11:03 AM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#65 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 17 November 2014 - 11:09 AM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 17 November 2014 - 11:02 AM, said:

Yes it should! Maybe that makes me a bit harsh, but if she's been enough of an idiot to go around making threats and being abusive to her contemporaries, I'd say it's just desserts if her career suffers.

I think this sort of thing is helped by the supposed anonymity of the internet, – so that's exactly what should be stripped away in my view.

Exactly. Live by the sword/die by the sword etc. (or karma if that's your thing) She knew exactly what she was doing and now has to face the consequences. And they will most likely be far-reaching.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#66 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 17 November 2014 - 11:11 AM

If you've damaged individuals I suppose it's up to them to accept or reject your sincere apology. If you've damaged communities then you might find even a heartfelt apology is not enough, and that you owe more than contrition. Make reparations and recognize that your victims owe you nothing, let alone patronage.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#67 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 17 November 2014 - 01:23 PM

View PostAmaryl, on 17 November 2014 - 10:01 AM, said:

However, I do wonder what will happen 10-20 years down the line. When (hopefully) she has repented. Will she still be the fucking troll that almost drove some-one to suicide, or just another SF-writer, with a few bad notes on her record of the past.

Currently, I'm afraid the internet and how we consume the internet isn't equipped to deal with the latter, even after a sincere apology. Then again my opinion isn't directed at this troll in particular but more in general to everyone that posts stupid dickish things and is later sorry for it and changes.

I do think in 10-20 years she'll still have the blemish from her trollish past. I imagine the level of moral outrage from the community won't be as high, but there will still be people mentioning her past in discussions.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#68 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 17 November 2014 - 05:08 PM

The past will always come back to bite you in the ass, reformed or no - look at people who have broken the law, for instance. People who know about it will always remember that in the years to come, even if they're a reformed character. We'll only be able to wait and see what happens.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#69 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 17 November 2014 - 10:45 PM

She deserves everything she gets... labelling her a troll is letting her off lightly...

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#70 User is offline   RACHEL 

• Captain

Posted 18 November 2014 - 06:55 PM

Making an assholeish comment here and there does not warrant public shaming, or career loss. This case is different. This women spent a decade (or longer) of her life publicly shaming other people and using her influence to at least try to damage other peoples careers. I have seen celebrities get totally shit on for saying one stupid comment without thinking. I think that is totally unfair. In this case, though, I think that it is fair that her evil side has been made public and if her career suffers so be it. Based on what I have read about it, this woman has been too hateful for too long for it to be brushed off without some public embarrassment. She chose to put her hateful opinions on public sites because she felt safe in her anonymity. I don't believe this woman should be jailed or lynched I just think she deserves to have the world know what she did. If she is such a strong believer in all the hate she has written she won't even be shamed. If she does feel ashamed then hopefully she will learn a lesson and not be such an asshole in the future.

#71 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 18 November 2014 - 07:34 PM

What freaks me out are the sycophants who still support her and believe she's done nothing wrong worthy of commenting on.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users