Malazan Empire: Saeng (spoilers) - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Saeng (spoilers) A missed opportunity by ICE?

#1 User is offline   prq 

• The unofficial Shield Anvil of Treach, The Tiger of Summer
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:54 AM

Saeng is dubbed as a high priestess (of whom? I still haven't understood this part. Of Ardata? Of Jackuruku itself?), she is accompanied by a fierce warrior (Hanu) and later by a thaumaturg with unusual talents (Pon-Lor)

Was I the the only one who immediately thought Destriant + Mortal Sword + Shield Anvil? B)

#2 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 23 October 2014 - 11:18 AM

View Postprq, on 23 October 2014 - 09:54 AM, said:

Saeng is dubbed as a high priestess (of whom? I still haven't understood this part. Of Ardata? Of Jackuruku itself?),

She lowered her gaze to the dais. This was the key. It had originally been an altar sanctified to Light – the worship of the Sun and the Sky. The cult of which others had recognized her as High Priestess. She knew then what she had to do. She merely had to claim it.

Interestingly, others consider her to be the high priestess but until the particular moment in this quote, she probably was not.
It is like the position was empty, she had the qualifications and she took on the responsibility and assumed the mantle of power.

she is accompanied by a fierce warrior (Hanu) and later by a thaumaturg with unusual talents (Pon-Lor)
Was I the the only one who immediately thought Destriant + Mortal Sword + Shield Anvil? B)

That's an interesting observation.
These positions are not entirely consistent across the pantheon.
Who would be the Shield Anvil in this case?

#3 User is offline   prq 

Posted 23 October 2014 - 12:13 PM

View Postnacht, on 23 October 2014 - 11:18 AM, said:

Saeng is dubbed as a high priestess (of whom? I still haven't understood this part. Of Ardata? Of Jackuruku itself?),

She lowered her gaze to the dais. This was the key. It had originally been an altar sanctified to Light – the worship of the Sun and the Sky. The cult of which others had recognized her as High Priestess. She knew then what she had to do. She merely had to claim it.

Interestingly, others consider her to be the high priestess but until the particular moment in this quote, she probably was not.
It is like the position was empty, she had the qualifications and she took on the responsibility and assumed the mantle of power.

Doesn't priesthood require a deity? Is there a god representing "the worship of the Sun and the Sky"?

she is accompanied by a fierce warrior (Hanu) and later by a thaumaturg with unusual talents (Pon-Lor)

Pon-Lor - his "trauma-induced skills" could probably easily be adapted, storywise, to a Shield Anvil role.

#4 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 24 October 2014 - 08:15 PM

View Postprq, on 23 October 2014 - 12:13 PM, said:

Doesn't priesthood require a deity? Is there a god representing "the worship of the Sun and the Sky"?

Pon-Lor - his "trauma-induced skills" could probably easily be adapted, storywise, to a Shield Anvil role.

I am pretty sure Osserc is the god of Sun, Sky (basically Serc).
How that came to be is a very interesting question and will probably covered in the Kharkanas triology.

The role of the Shield-Anvil is to collect the souls of the people who worship the god (at least this is what Itkovian, the shield anvil of the grey swords did). The Destraint was often the one who healed them.

#5 User is offline   prq 

Posted 28 October 2014 - 08:40 AM

As far as Shield Anvils go, I doubt
Spoiler
:unworthy:

#6 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 30 October 2014 - 02:09 PM

You have a point there. Maybe Itkovian was the exception.
The terns are kind of loosely used.

#7 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 27 December 2014 - 01:39 PM

View Postnacht, on 24 October 2014 - 08:15 PM, said:

View Postprq, on 23 October 2014 - 12:13 PM, said:

Was I the the only one who immediately thought Destriant + Mortal Sword + Shield Anvil? :)

I am pretty sure Osserc is the god of Sun, Sky (basically Serc).
How that came to be is a very interesting question and will probably covered in the Kharkanas triology.

The role of the Shield-Anvil is to collect the souls of the people who worship the god (at least this is what Itkovian, the shield anvil of the grey swords did). The Destraint was often the one who healed them.

It makes sense, plus you have to consider his father is the Elder God of Light (Urusander). Sun and Sky - Urusander and Osserc...
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users