• You cannot reply to this topic

New Review From 'el Reg

#1 User is offline   Messremb 

• Honorary Symp of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • High Artificer of Team Quick Ben

Posted 18 October 2014 - 11:08 AM

The Register's Review

This gives me a few doubts about the book...

Carry On Cosmonaut: Willful Child is a poor taste Star Trek parody
Cringeworthy, crude and crass jokes abound in Steven Erikson’s sci-fi debut
By Brid-Aine Parnell, 18 Oct 2014

Page File Anyone who’s read Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen, a searingly bleak and intricate fantasy series, will be bitterly disappointed with Willful Child (and yes, pedants, that is how he spells it).

Instead of a blistering and fascinating foray into sci-fi, Erikson does a limp, lacklustre job of Star Trek fan fiction, a parody in the style of John Scalzi’s Redshirts or the movie Galaxy Quest, but lacking in much of the basic ingredients for good comedy. We laugh hardest when something is newly funny or outrageous, but the tired old jokes trotted out in Willful Child fail to muster up even a small smile.

It’s possible that this is intended to be a parody of a parody, as Captain Hadrian Sawback strides across the deck of his very own starship, the Willful Child, making seriously off-colour jokes, offering to blow everything up and generally being an uber-masculine oaf – like Captain James T Kirk dialled up by another 90 per cent.

The trouble is that parody is supposed to say something about the thing it’s critiquing in an intelligent and humorous manner. This novel is more like an homage, as the crew come to love and respect him, women fall at his feet and he extricates himself and the ship whole and virtually unscathed from one precariously deadly situation after another.

Even that wouldn’t be so bad if Willful Child was very funny. Instead, you get pretty lame wordplay humour:

“I was one of twenty-two survivors, sir.” Hadrian nodded.

“It would have been unusual, don’t you think, had you numbered among the crew members lost.”

“Yes, sir.”

And tired computer humour:

Hadrian held up a finger.

“Here it is,” he said. “Everyone! See this finger? It is the finger of God! Watch it now, as it strikes any key!”

He stabbed down and the finger stabbed home. After a moment, HUB said, “Keyboard malfunction. Strike any other key.”

“Oh fuck!”

Fortunately, the next one worked.

Not every joke falls completely flat, but enough do that the whole set-up starts to feel ridiculous and you begin to wonder just how many pages of the damn thing are left. And it also makes it difficult to see the novel as a parody instead of an endorsement.

'I think I spot a female alien, Captain.' 'Thanks McCoy'

That’s particularly true when it comes to Sawback’s blatant misogyny and mistreatment of women. This is obviously intended as a send-up of the Kirk, Picard and Riker set of Starfleet officers, always looking to get on intimate terms with the crew and/or any passing aliens. But Erikson also throws in a few sexual assaults that are played for laughs, which actually make for quite uncomfortable reading.

Twice the Captain is assaulted, once by a huge alien and then by his female Marine Lieutenant, and both times he ends up in sickbay. At another point, a female officer who hates Erikson is passed out drunk in his stateroom and when another character, who happens to be the Lieutenant, goes to get her, she is “now mostly naked” and still unconscious. It’s unclear what the implication is supposed to be, but the last time she was seen conscious the Captain was mauling her and his only comment to the Lieutenant is, “I understand that what you discovered in my office might seem, well, a contravention of regulations and, indeed, decorum. But I assure you, it’s only half as bad as you think.”

These episodes are just plain weird. There’s no point being made and they’re not terribly funny, so it just seems totally bizarre. Because this is difficult subject matter to do in comedy, if you want to make jokes about sexual assault, it needs to be really funny and preferably come loaded with some sort of intelligent commentary as well. Just making it a man who gets attacked instead of a woman isn’t anywhere near inventive enough and pretty far from commentary of any kind.

These episodes are so WTF, it’s like watching Bill Bailey get up on stage at the Apollo and go, “Well, take my wife … go on, take her!” while making lewd gestures as if it’s the height of hilarious originality. Whatever Erikson was trying to achieve with this Star Trek parody, he seems to have missed his mark by quite a distance. ®

Author Steven Erikson
Title Willful Child
Release date 6 November (UK) / 4 November (US)
Publisher Tor/Macmillan
Price Ł14.99 (Hardback) / Ł6.99 (Kindle)
"see that stranger's arm crushing the life from him - do you understand? Not an eternal prison for Messremb"

#2 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 18 October 2014 - 04:05 PM

Can someone explain this:

...Willful Child (and yes, pedants, that is how he spells it).

#3 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 18 October 2014 - 04:18 PM

Wilful and willful are both recognised spellings of the word, but it's one of those where some people will flat out deny the other is correct.

#4 User is offline   James Hutton 

• High Scholar of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 18 October 2014 - 05:44 PM

View PostMessremb, on 18 October 2014 - 11:08 AM, said:

This gives me a few doubts about the book...

I've heard so many people say MBotF's bad, a single negative review of Willful Child doesn't deter me. I found the preview of chapter 1 right up my alley! Have you read it? What do you think of it?
Secret message: "Keep up the good work, yours truly"

#5 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 18 October 2014 - 05:48 PM

I didn't realise Erikson had a stateroom.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#6 User is offline   pat5150 

• Soletaken

Posted 19 October 2014 - 03:01 AM

I finished it this afternoon and pretty much loved everything about it. It's a Star Trek spoof, a comedy/parody, nothing deep or throught-provoking. Anyone looking for a light and funny read will probably enjoy the ride.

If you're looking for a blistering and fascinating foray into sci-fi , then you obviously failed to read the cover blurb. . . :)

Patrick
For book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, related articles and news, and much more, check out www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

#7 User is offline   Ribald 

• Scholar of High House Academia
  • Interests:Freelance Editor, Advance Reader, and academic with a PhD in Fantasy Literature.

Posted 19 October 2014 - 01:29 PM

I am pretty much with Pat on this one. I thought Willful Child was exceptionally funny and it had me laughing out loud in various places.

Given that people have very different ideas about what is funny and what isn't, and given that we all like different forms of comedy, I think it is safe to say that the reviews will be divided on this. So, if the whole point of the book is to be funny, and some people don't find it funny, then their reviews aren't going to be particularly flattering.

I thought it was very like Galaxy Quest, Get Smart! and Spaceballs. I happen to like those films and tv shows, so I found it hilarious. I loved the Star Trek references and jokes. And I stand by my review that is a funny book that is worth reading.

But in response to the review above:

View PostMessremb, on 18 October 2014 - 11:08 AM, said:

That's particularly true when it comes to Sawback's blatant misogyny and mistreatment of women. This is obviously intended as a send-up of the Kirk, Picard and Riker set of Starfleet officers, always looking to get on intimate terms with the crew and/or any passing aliens. But Erikson also throws in a few sexual assaults that are played for laughs, which actually make for quite uncomfortable reading.

Twice the Captain is assaulted, once by a huge alien and then by his female Marine Lieutenant, and both times he ends up in sickbay. At another point, a female officer who hates Erikson is passed out drunk in his stateroom and when another character, who happens to be the Lieutenant, goes to get her, she is "now mostly naked" and still unconscious. It's unclear what the implication is supposed to be, but the last time she was seen conscious the Captain was mauling her and his only comment to the Lieutenant is, "I understand that what you discovered in my office might seem, well, a contravention of regulations and, indeed, decorum. But I assure you, it's only half as bad as you think."

These episodes are just plain weird. There's no point being made and they're not terribly funny, so it just seems totally bizarre. Because this is difficult subject matter to do in comedy, if you want to make jokes about sexual assault, it needs to be really funny and preferably come loaded with some sort of intelligent commentary as well. Just making it a man who gets attacked instead of a woman isn't anywhere near inventive enough and pretty far from commentary of any kind.

I had a very different take on and reaction to these particular incidents. I would strongly disagree with this characterisation of the events.
To mention the specifics here is a spoiler so I will tag it.

Spoiler

Now I freely admit that everyone is entitled to their opinion, and while I cannot be sure what Erikson intended these scenes to reflect, having read the MBotF, I am fairly sure that Erikson was not glorifying or celebrating sexual violence. If you don't think these scenes are funny, if you interpret them in a different way to how I have, then that is perfectly fine. Not everyone will find them funny.

But that doesn't mean that your interpretation is the only one, and that other people cannot or will not see other things in those scenes that you don't. I found them funny for the reasons in the spoilered section. I certainly don't think that everyone should think exactly the way I should, or share my sense of humour, but there is an interpretation of those events that I think is inoffensive and sociably acceptable.

As to accusations that Hadrian's character is misogynist, I would also take partial exception to this. Hadrian does not hate women, he does not countenance violence against women, and he is clearly willing to promote them over men, so he doesn't discriminate against them. He does view them as potential sexual partners. He seems to view almost all female characters, regardless of species, as potential sexual partners. But he seems to have been more than happy to work with, serve with and have in places of command, female characters. A number of his senior staff and command crew are women. The leader of the marine contingent is a woman. Hadrian doesn't express any doubts about their ability or competence to serve in these command roles due to their sex. So yes he is an asshole who is always trying to find a woman to sleep with him, but he seems very happy to work with the female officers. So while his hound dog ways and skirt chasing might annoy a number of readers, I don't think that Hadrian is truly misogynist. But again, that would be my interpretation of the character.

In short (although it is a little late for that) I would strongly disagree with the reviewer's interpretation of the events and tone of the book.

But that is just me.

My advice would be read the book yourself and find out. I thought it was hilarious.
Trust me, I'm a doctor.
www.thecriticaldragon.com

#8 User is offline   Ribald 

• Interests:Freelance Editor, Advance Reader, and academic with a PhD in Fantasy Literature.

Posted 21 October 2014 - 06:35 PM

Well it seems that another reviewer liked the book.

http://archeddoorway...erikson-review/

"Willful Child follows the exploits of the incorrigible Captain Hadrian Sawback and his ill-chosen crew aboard the A.S.F Willful Child on a mission to seek out and stop a smuggling operation in the Blarad System. It only takes you a handful of paragraphs before you realize this book is one giant Star Trek parody, and that is about where I first started laughing so hard I choked. Hadrian Sawback is quite possibly the best and worst starship captain I have ever read about. If the fact that he crewed his ship with a mix of incompetent family members and buxom women doesn’t give you that feeling right away, the suspicion you’ll probably get right away is that he most likely lied and cheated his way through officers school to get his ship probably will."
Trust me, I'm a doctor.

#9 User is offline   Ribald 

Posted 21 October 2014 - 06:35 PM

The rest of the review is pretty positive too.
Trust me, I'm a doctor.

#10 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 22 October 2014 - 04:29 PM

That "Insisteon" sounds pretty darn Douglas Adams. B)
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#11 User is offline   Ribald 

Posted 23 October 2014 - 02:24 PM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 22 October 2014 - 04:29 PM, said:

That "Insisteon" sounds pretty darn Douglas Adams. B)

There is an element of the absurd in Willful Child that is indeed reminiscent of Douglas Adams, but I think that Hitchhiker's Guide was a great deal more surreal.

But there is a real sense of ridiculous fun in the technology and the guns that are also bizarrely believable.
Trust me, I'm a doctor.

#12 User is offline   Ribald 

Posted 23 October 2014 - 02:25 PM

If Douglas Adams had written Star Trek.... that might work as a description.
Trust me, I'm a doctor.

#13 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 23 October 2014 - 03:29 PM

With all do respect to SE, I think what Douglas Adams did was a bit more than mere parodying of a genre. I've only read the first chapter of WillFul Child, so I may be well off the mark, but that chapter did not remotely strike me as Adams-esque. WC is more like fan fic, and there is nothing wrong with that, but it does make the comparison rather floppy.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#14 User is offline   Ribald 

Posted 23 October 2014 - 04:03 PM

View PostGorefest, on 23 October 2014 - 03:29 PM, said:

With all do respect to SE, I think what Douglas Adams did was a bit more than mere parodying of a genre. I've only read the first chapter of WillFul Child, so I may be well off the mark, but that chapter did not remotely strike me as Adams-esque. WC is more like fan fic, and there is nothing wrong with that, but it does make the comparison rather floppy.

Yeah, I agree. But Adams used exaggeration to create humour, and it was then dusted very liberally with absurdity to create brilliant moments of humour (the petunias and the whale appearing the wake of the Heart of Gold).

So if Adams had taken a stab at writing Star Trek I would imagine that he would exaggerate some of the established tropes and conceits and add in some absurdity and surreal moments to create humour. Willful Child is not as surreal or as wonderfully absurd as Hitchhiker's, but there are a number of moments in the later sections and chapters of the book that struck me as reminiscent of Adams' humour. Particularly as SE used the exaggeration and extrapolation of some SF conceits and concepts to create the humour.

So while Willful Child is not Hitchhiker's Guide or Dirk Gently, if Adams had taken a stab at writing Star Trek there may have been some similarity to what we get in Willful Child.
Trust me, I'm a doctor.

#15 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 23 October 2014 - 04:34 PM

A quick gander at what Brid-Aine Parnell is posting on that site in general...and it seems they picked the absolute worst, most righteous, pickiest person to review the book. Her other articles (one that I had already read [a review of recent DW ep FLATLINE] previously) seem to be an example of "I want to complain, so here is me complaining...about everything...because reasons."
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#16 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 12 November 2014 - 11:29 PM

I completely and wholeheartedly disagree with everything in the review.

Also re: the "confusing" scene about the naked officer in his room:

At another point, a female officer who hates Erikson is passed out drunk in his stateroom and when another character, who happens to be the Lieutenant, goes to get her, she is “now mostly naked” and still unconscious. It’s unclear what the implication is supposed to be, but the last time she was seen conscious the Captain was mauling her and his only comment to the Lieutenant is, “I understand that what you discovered in my office might seem, well, a contravention of regulations and, indeed, decorum. But I assure you, it’s only half as bad as you think.”

There was no actual hint of any kind of assault there.
Spoiler

This reviewer is very nitpicky.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#17 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 03 December 2014 - 07:47 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 12 November 2014 - 11:29 PM, said:

I completely and wholeheartedly disagree with everything in the review.

Also re: the "confusing" scene about the naked officer in his room:

At another point, a female officer who hates Erikson is passed out drunk in his stateroom and when another character, who happens to be the Lieutenant, goes to get her, she is “now mostly naked” and still unconscious. It’s unclear what the implication is supposed to be, but the last time she was seen conscious the Captain was mauling her and his only comment to the Lieutenant is, “I understand that what you discovered in my office might seem, well, a contravention of regulations and, indeed, decorum. But I assure you, it’s only half as bad as you think.”

There was no actual hint of any kind of assault there.
Spoiler

This reviewer is very nitpicky.

I agree, when I got to the 'shes mostly naked' part, I went back and read the other part thinking I missed it, but nope.

Reviewer is wrong.

I read it in an afternoon, and it was enjoyable and pretty entertaining. I wouldn't go so far as to say it was up there with Douglas Adams, but if you want a short, funny, silly, laugh at Star Trek, then this one is pretty good.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#18 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 21 December 2014 - 07:13 AM

Just finished. I agree that the review in the OP got the facts wrong in those cases, but on the other hand I still felt ~90% of the sex humor fell flat. Then again, I liked the "press any key" joke. I'd say about half the jokes clicked with me. Overall I was entertained but not particularly enthused.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#19 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 29 December 2014 - 01:13 PM

I received this book as a christmas present and I'm looking forward to reading it immensely.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users