Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Questions in the End Spoiler

#1 User is offline   Upwood 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 09 October 2014 - 08:45 AM

The end of the book. I really enjoyed the whole book. Is it my favorite? I don't know. Maybe I read too many comments about "it's my favorite book" thatI had too high expectations. The last 200-300 pages are awesome. But maybe I had even higher awesomeness expectations. The final convergence was spectacular but still I would say everything went “quite smooth”. Like the Redeemer just hugs Salind and *puff*… I thought it would be more of a struggle and more revelations.

I have a few questions and checked in the forum if their already answerd. Sorry if so. Thanks a lot to all responses.

1. How slips Mother Dark into Aranath? Why right now? Because the sword is weakening? Was she trapped in Dragnipur?

2. What was exactly in Dragnipur? The chaos realm (or just a part of it) and the gate of darkness? Now the gate is free? What happened with chaos?

3. Why does Endest have to hold on in the end? That Rake can put Kurald Ghalain in theTemple?

4. Has Dragnipur lost its effect after Rake did release KG? What would have happened if the Sister or Iskaral got the sword before/after the release? Rake barely could stand with it, why should they? Would it still be of any use without chaos in it?

5. What could've Cotillion said to Traveller?

We know that he feels bad about it. But we also know that Cotillion and ST work together with Rake and Hood and their plan was that Traveller fights against Rake. So? He has to say something that Taveller goes on and sticks to their plan. And he feels bad because he knew what it will do to Daseem.

Somewhere I saw the question about what happened to Hood's body and if Traveller didn't see it. SE answers this question in the Q&A:

Hang on, Dassem walks up to face off with Anomander who seems intent on fighting him. At what point in this meeting does Dassem take off his sun-glasses, tilt his head to one side, and stare down at a headless corpse some distance behind Anomander – one being worked over by a Hound – and then, with a squint up at the Miami sky, ask, 'And … would that … headless corpse behind you … would that be … oh, I don't know … would that be Hood, the God of Death?' Cue music and titles and The Who singing Who Are You (if that's the song they sing).

Whenever Hood appears/has appeared in the novels, he has been … hooded, cowled, shrouded, face hidden in shadows. His identity was deliberately kept from everyone – character and reader alike (though the reader could, ultimately, put it together).

You've got a headless corpse. How exactly does that offer up positive identification? More to the point, is Dassem – in the grip of the sword's need, and shaken by whatever conversation preceded this moment – in any shape to set aside the Tiste Andii Lord standing in his face? Two such forces in imminent collision see nothing else, no-one but the one they face. Trust me on this – it's what happens to boxers, or fencers on the piste – the world beyond the target/foe vanishes, utterly. Those are small, modest examples. Dassem and Rake are anything but.

http://www.tor.com/b...ikson-questions

This post has been edited by Upwood: 09 October 2014 - 12:40 PM

#2 User is offline   theocean 

• High Fist

Posted 09 October 2014 - 05:41 PM

I am nowhere near smart enough for some of those questions, but the cotilion talk simply couldve been explaining how they had to do it this way, and it was for the greater good of the world to have what happened happen.

I never got why Rake had to have someone kill him to be entrapped in Dragnipur when simply touching the blood of something killed by Dragnipur was enough to drag Paran into dragnipur. I never understood that.

#3 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 10 October 2014 - 04:29 PM

View PostUpwood, on 09 October 2014 - 08:45 AM, said:

1. How slips Mother Dark into Aranath? Why right now? Because the sword is weakening? Was she trapped in Dragnipur?

She wasn't trapped in Dragnipur, she was 'turned away'. Rake's actions involving Dragnipur made her/forced her to reconnect with her children. She used Aranatha as a vessel, supposedly because Aranatha was susceptive to such a bond and maybe because Nimander was her closest link to Rake. Not sure about that bit, it's been a while since I read those bits.

2. What was exactly in Dragnipur? The chaos realm (or just a part of it) and the gate of darkness? Now the gate is free? What happened with chaos?

Dragnipur was its own warren and it indeed contained the Gate of Darkness. Mother Dark moved the gate to Black Coral after her return. I don't think Chaos was ever trapped as such inside the sword, it was all over the place, it just had a manifestation inside the sword that pursued the gate. So Chaos is still Around.

3. Why does Endest have to hold on in the end? That Rake can put Kurald Ghalain in theTemple?

The Dying God (inside Clip) is trying to claim the throne of darkness and Rake is busy elsewhere by sacrificing himself, so Endest needs to protect Black Coral until Mother Dark and the gate return.

4. Has Dragnipur lost its effect after Rake did release KG? What would have happened if the Sister or Iskaral got the sword before/after the release? Rake barely could stand with it, why should they? Would it still be of any use without chaos in it?

Not sure why it is relevant or whether it gets explained or explored properly. I imagine that a sword that is its own warren would be of interest to a lot of people, but I don't know if it would actually still function in that way without the gate. So yeah, whatever sounds cool or plausible.

5. What could've Cotillion said to Traveller?

We know that he feels bad about it. But we also know that Cotillion and ST work together with Rake and Hood and their plan was that Traveller fights against Rake. So? He has to say something that Taveller goes on and sticks to their plan. And he feels bad because he knew what it will do to Daseem.

There's lots of debate and a lot of theories about what Cotillion said to Traveller. Join in the discussion :smoke:
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users