Malazan Empire: just who is this Kyle guy anyways? (Spoilers!) - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1

just who is this Kyle guy anyways? (Spoilers!) ooen discussion spoilers possible

#1 User is offline   NefaraisBredd 

• Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 04 October 2014 - 11:21 PM

Feels rushed......RotCG on quaaludes? I found this book to be slow and steady but lacking any real pulse. Assail was built up so much in the books previous- I expected more than what was delivered. Blood and Bone and RotCG were so much better. SE's finale was full to the brim with tragic comedy and brutality rarely matched in modern writing. Everything seemed muted when reading Assail. Kyle was a great supporting character in earlier books and was not fully developed or explored in Assail. I did not feel as though I really got to know him. The ending was rather quaint and a bit too neatly arranged to the point where it lost the ring of appeal that most good stories have- wonder, questions, curiosity. Meh.

This post has been edited by NefaraisBredd: 04 October 2014 - 11:22 PM

#2 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 14 October 2014 - 04:55 PM

Disagree. I thought ICE"s arc for Kyle, from RCG to the end of Assail, was one of his stronger storylines.

In RCG we got a conscripted freed slave who thinks he helped kill his own god, stumbles onto a magic sword. gets drawn into Guard power games and pulled into a series of adventures with more powerful beings.
In SW we see him grown a bit, more confident, but following Greymane around for lack of his own path.
In Assail we see him return home, come into his own as a swordsman and hero, and stand with other heroes by the end.

... in terms of fantasy lit, it's classic hero's journey stuff done, imnsho, very nicely. No prophecy, no great destiny, just a guy drawn into bigger events who grows as a result.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#3 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 14 October 2014 - 08:23 PM

Oh there was a prophecy all right. I shan't reveal it, however, for your part in this tale is yet to come.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#4 User is offline   D'iver koala bear 

• Recruit

Posted 19 August 2015 - 11:34 AM

He's luke sky walker and he's got a light sabre say what!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users