Malazan Empire: Will no one dare to discuss this about DG? - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Will no one dare to discuss this about DG?

#21 User is offline   Tru 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 15 November 2014 - 12:45 AM

View Postworry, on 14 November 2014 - 11:48 PM, said:

If Felisin merely being "mean spirited" disables your ability to care about her, why isn't the abandonment, enslavement, and constant rape of her enough to excuse her own outlook on people? If your empathy switches off at the drop of a hat, and hers takes a months-long trip through hell to diminish, whose disdain is less righteous?

Yes, I struggle with characters that are abrasive and despite the efforts of others, remain this way. To answer your specific question: There is no disdain that is righteous. I also did not say anything about having disdain for her. I said I dislike her character. Surely we all have characters we dislike.

From my read, the abandonment and enslavement is about as far as it goes, beyond that, the rape, and subsequent enslavement, seems to be consentual from the way I understood it. Perhaps as a means of survival, I'll grant that, but for those who then helped her, protected her, and then saw her attain a position of power, for all those who came within her path, she seems to treat very badly. Those trying to be nice to her are quickly verbally assaulted, and no one forced her to begin using her body as a tool, a weapon. She was then obsessed with vengeance. There was a way for her character to be less abrasive to the reader. Erickson did not write her this way, which is fine, just because I dislike a character does not mean the author has missed the mark, in fact, he probably hit the mark perfectly, because in Felisin, he has created a divisive personality.

#22 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 15 November 2014 - 01:29 AM

Oh I have no issue with your reading of the character and understand you're not critiquing the concept of her as a creation, and of course a gut reaction is what it is (though discussion of considered opinions makes for a welcome answer to the gut). And I don't mean to put words in your mouth (if using disdain as a synonym for dislike crossed that line, I apologize), but I believe I am addressing the meat of your opinion of Felisin fairly (and she's a common topic of debate in the DG forum, which probably does not surprise you).

And the thrust of my response is: I am questioning the ease with which one condemns Felisin -- by which I mean, in your specific case, calling her a "mean spirited bitch" and suggesting her demeanor disabled your ability to care about her (though like I said, it's a topic that comes up fairly often, you don't stand alone by any means). She's a teenage girl who's been through "hell" and has come out of it sharp-tongued and stand-offish even to the well-meaning, and that disabled your sympathy for her. But if that's all it takes to disable your sympathy, what is the basis for condemning Felisin for her disabled sympathy when it took much longer and much much worse to get her there? As a position, it's an ouroboros.

On another note, it is impossible for rape to be consensual, and it is impossible for a slave to consent to her master/overseer.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#23 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 15 November 2014 - 01:43 AM

View PostTru, on 15 November 2014 - 12:45 AM, said:

If Felisin merely being "mean spirited" disables your ability to care about her, why isn't the abandonment, enslavement, and constant rape of her enough to excuse her own outlook on people? If your empathy switches off at the drop of a hat, and hers takes a months-long trip through hell to diminish, whose disdain is less righteous?

Yes, I struggle with characters that are abrasive and despite the efforts of others, remain this way. To answer your specific question: There is no disdain that is righteous. I also did not say anything about having disdain for her. I said I dislike her character. Surely we all have characters we dislike.

From my read, the abandonment and enslavement is about as far as it goes, beyond that, the rape, and subsequent enslavement, seems to be consentual from the way I understood it. Perhaps as a means of survival, I'll grant that, but for those who then helped her, protected her, and then saw her attain a position of power, for all those who came within her path, she seems to treat very badly. Those trying to be nice to her are quickly verbally assaulted, and no one forced her to begin using her body as a tool, a weapon. She was then obsessed with vengeance. There was a way for her character to be less abrasive to the reader. Erickson did not write her this way, which is fine, just because I dislike a character does not mean the author has missed the mark, in fact, he probably hit the mark perfectly, because in Felisin, he has created a divisive personality.

My own first reaction to Felisin was very close to that of yours, but then I read HoC. Then I reread the series. Trust me, this changes your perspective drastically.

#24 User is offline   Tru 

• Sergeant

Posted 15 November 2014 - 01:50 AM

View Postworry, on 15 November 2014 - 01:29 AM, said:

Oh I have no issue with your reading of the character and understand you're not critiquing the concept of her as a creation, and of course a gut reaction is what it is (though discussion of considered opinions makes for a welcome answer to the gut). And I don't mean to put words in your mouth (if using disdain as a synonym for dislike crossed that line, I apologize), but I believe I am addressing the meat of your opinion of Felisin fairly (and she's a common topic of debate in the DG forum, which probably does not surprise you).

And the thrust of my response is: I am questioning the ease with which one condemns Felisin -- by which I mean, in your specific case, calling her a "mean spirited bitch" and suggesting her demeanor disabled your ability to care about her (though like I said, it's a topic that comes up fairly often, you don't stand alone by any means). She's a teenage girl who's been through "hell" and has come out of it sharp-tongued and stand-offish even to the well-meaning, and that disabled your sympathy for her. But if that's all it takes to disable your sympathy, what is the basis for condemning Felisin for her disabled sympathy when it took much longer and much much worse to get her there? As a position, it's an ouroboros.

On another note, it is impossible for rape to be consensual, and it is impossible for a slave to consent to her master/overseer.

Yeah I read through that other rather spirited topic on her in this section. Just a note on that: I do think it's unfair to judge a persons real life opinions/feelings on the opinions/feelings one has towards fictional characters. I know several people who have lived terribly difficult lives, perhaps not to the extreme of Felisin, but actually appallingly difficult fortune and experiences. These people seem to arrive at different conclusions about their own misfortune, and treat others in ways that are just as varied, some even behave like Felisin, and these are the most difficult ones to "love" so to speak, and yet, when it comes to real life, we do try to love the often unlovable...but with a fictional character, well that is what I meant, was that I can easily shut a fictional character out emotionally. They may have had a hard life, and I can empathize with that, and yet still think she was a mean bitch, because, after all, she was! Or these debates about her would not exist. Whenever the storyline got around to Felisin in DG, at some point she would have my eyes rolling and me shaking my head thinking..."geez, you are your own worst enemy here." There was always the hope that she would find redemption, find solace, find closure, find a friend she can be kind too, etc...it just never happened. Anyway, my wording/phrasing was harsh, I did not mean to offend you.

#25 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 15 November 2014 - 02:19 AM

I read you loud and clear on the personal distinction between real people and fictional characters. I tend to use the latter as a jumping off point to discuss the former, at least with the Malazan books. And as you've noted in some other forums already, these books do tend to stray into philosophical territory (quite deliberately) now and again, to some folks' chagrin.

And to your last point: don't worry about offending people* with your POV.

*within board guidelines

#26 User is offline   IskarJar93 

• Recruit

Posted 18 November 2014 - 11:20 PM

The only part of MBoTF that I really found overstrechted was the whole Snake storyline in DoD and TCG. The rest, all the rest, I quite enjoyed, including the March of Dogs which is in my opinion only second to the Odissey in recounting, well, an odissey

#27 User is offline   Enders 

• Recruit

Posted 16 December 2014 - 12:26 PM

Unlike some of you reading machines, I've only just finished Deadhouse Gates last night for the first time. Went to sleep thinking about it. And now I'm up early and ready to start talking about :crybaby:

I agree that the book felt like it dragged on, but for reasons different than most other book. It wasn't the lack of action or increase in plot that made it feel that way to me, it was me having to focus two or three times harder on each word than I do in other epic fantasies that made its seem longer. You know, like how doing something that takes a lot of energy goes by slow but having fun goes by fast? I definitely had fun though. Reading a Malazan book not only feels like an escape but also a mental exercise.I was experiencing it through an audiobook though which makes it harder. Hard to focus on every line like you should since I can't go back and forth, or increase or slow my reading speed like I can with print. I found myself spacing out through long stretches of unimportant text only to realize after I'd passed a passage with short sentences that were extremely important.

All of that being said, I do not feel like the book, on its own merits, dragged out in any painful way. I've read books half or 2/3 of its size with a fraction of its depth and plot drag on for longer, and I quit reading the Wheel of Time for this very reason. For a book of this scope, I cannot say it actually drug on even though I did "feel" like it was dragging on. The actionless Cotlaine sections were also some of my least favorite but that is made up for later.

This post has been edited by Enders: 16 December 2014 - 12:27 PM

#28 User is offline   Hood's Cheese 

• Recruit

Posted 01 May 2015 - 07:53 PM

Coming in late because I'm just now on the last 20 pages of the book, but I don't believe the chain was dragged out. By the time Duiker rode through the gates I was emotionally exhausted, and what happened after almost brought me to tears. If he'd truncated the experience I doubt it would have had the emotional weight. It would have read more like Feist's Magician: "and then a lot of time passed and some people died and now I can pick up the story again because plot." Not bad, just different.
"Opera happens because a large number of things amazingly fail to go wrong." --Terry Pratchett

#29 User is offline   flea 

• High Fist

Posted 03 May 2015 - 01:10 AM

The Chain of Dogs was the part of the book I loved the first time I read it. The path of hands (is that the term?) drove me insane -- I had the hardest time understanding what was happening, and I couldn't really visualize the concluding scenes.

To the OP: Memories of Ice will blow your mind.

#30 User is offline   The Hust Legion 

• Lieutenant

Posted 05 May 2015 - 07:57 PM

Hmmm
At first I was I agree with the OP. I found that the book wore on a bit at times especially regarding felisin. I mean I was on a school bus journey to Belgium so I took GotM DG and MOI cause it takes forever to get there. Literally finished Gotm and got DG out of my bag and the first thing I picked up on was the fact that GotM throws you right into it there's always something happening or going to happen pretty much all the time start to finish.
Whereas in DG the pace is more up and down. There's moments full of action and there's a lot more quiet moments like duiker monologues.
I mean I was like 13-14 when I read DG. Percy Jackson was my favourite book before Malazan so all the dragons magic and fighting grabbed my attention more than the quiet stuff so as a result I found that DG did kinda drag on at times the ending still devestated me.
I also visited a lot of WW1 cemeteries on that trip so it was quite quite depressing. But upon re reading it became one of my favourite books of the series and coltaine one of my favourite characters. On reread I appreciated the book as a whole more and in hindsight erikson fitted a lot into it in terms of action too. Damn DG was a good book I should re read it again. the ending is one of the best I've ever read and most heartbreaking I think the book seems long at first cause by reading it you follow the journey of the refugees themselves step by step which is long in itself
Also the path of hands stuff I had no fricking clue first read I kinda ignored it and focused on the rebellion which was more exciting
I think DG is one of those books that needs a re read cause it's pace is really quite different to GotM and MoI

#31 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 05 May 2015 - 08:58 PM

Or just more solid evidence that adolescents should be locked in cages.

#32 User is offline   The Hust Legion 

• Lieutenant

Posted 05 May 2015 - 09:54 PM

View Postworry, on 05 May 2015 - 08:58 PM, said:

Or just more solid evidence that adolescents should be locked in cages.

Haha um by that logic I would still be in a cage. I value you my limited freedom and why would I need to be locked in a cage?

#33 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 27 December 2015 - 11:20 PM

View PostIntrospect, on 22 September 2014 - 01:38 AM, said:

This might be blasphemy to some of you and considering I'm a newbie at this, go easy on me.Posted Image

Will no one discuss how stretched out the chain of dogs section of the book was? I mean, I get the fact that Mr Erikson is trying to make us experience the grind and the torturous-ness. But really, I felt the pace of the book was a bit off especially considering how the book ended with quite an unforeseen climax. It was difficult for me to get through Duiker's internal monologuing. I sometimes feel that Erikson struggles with how to manage the plot. Maybe its because he is first an anthropologist and then a writer. I wonder if his writing gets better as the series progresses. Also I am no writer and I am just posting this as an avid reader of books.

It's supposed to be tiring, in a sense. I felt it captured the emotional raggedness, the exhaustion, punctuated by both moments of extreme terror and the hanging cloud of dread that would go with such a desperate trek across hostile lands, completely surrounded by enemies at all times. The Chain was the plotline that I loved the very first time I read the book and have been thrilled with ever since. To me, it's one of Erikson's most masterful pieces of writing.

And if that climax struck you as unforeseen, maybe you skimmed some sections? Because it was heartbreaking, but not that surprising. As soon as they split off the refugees into a separate column and Coltaine started just performing a rear guard action, I knew there was a big chance that he and the 7th Army wouldn't make it. And yet that doesn't make the emotional pain any less, when he and the last remnants of his army are surrounded and cut down within sight of their goal. The deep injustice of it hit me like a ton of bricks, and still does upon reread.

This, so much.

Consent that is coerced is not consent. Consent obtained from a slave by a master is not consent. Where there is a power imbalance, sex can't really be consensual. This is part of why any sex with children is considered rape.

And yes, she very much was forced to use her body as a tool. It was that or not get enough food. That's not really much of a choice. And if you were plunged into that kind of hell, I bet you would be pretty angry at whoever put you there.

Victims shouldn't have to be saints for you to have sympathy for them for the ways they've been abused and wronged. The fact that it takes being abandoned by her only remaining family, being essentially sold into slavery, months of abuse, terror, and rape, for Felisin to lose sympathy with humanity, while it only takes some mean-spirited remarks from her for you to lose sympathy for her, honestly makes her your moral superior.

View Postworry, on 15 November 2014 - 01:29 AM, said:

Additionally, Felisin is a child still. There is no such thing as consensual sex with a child.

The first time through, I hated Felisin. But after reading the rest of the series, upon reread, I felt like a monster for having disliked her. She is one of the most tragic characters in the series. It takes months of enduring basically the worst aspects of humanity, being abandoned by her only remaining family, being essentially cargo, enduring rape after rape, for her personality and outlook towards people to change from sweet and innocent to acerbic and unrelentingly cynical. And I didn't like her because... because what, she said some mean things? After what she went through, I feel she's entitled to take a dim view of people. And I feel that losing sympathy for her just because she made some mean-spirited remarks makes one her moral inferior.

View PostAndorion, on 15 November 2014 - 01:43 AM, said:

My own first reaction to Felisin was very close to that of yours, but then I read HoC. Then I reread the series. Trust me, this changes your perspective drastically.

Sure did for me. Felisin's story, on reread, I found utterly heartwrenching, throughout. It's the step by step destruction of the human spirit. It's emotionally horrifying.

This post has been edited by Kanese S's: 27 December 2015 - 11:24 PM

Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#34 User is offline   Kanese S's 

Posted 27 December 2015 - 11:25 PM

Also, Worry, I would have repped your posts, but I ran out of rep. :p

#35 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 27 December 2015 - 11:32 PM

When you run out of green rep, use the red. I think that's what it's for, right?

#36 User is offline   Kanese S's 

Posted 27 December 2015 - 11:39 PM

View Postworry, on 27 December 2015 - 11:32 PM, said:

When you run out of green rep, use the red. I think that's what it's for, right?

XD

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users