Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Newbie with a reread question Which order to reread

#1 User is offline   Arrana 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:34 PM

Hello! I'm new to the forum, but have I read all of the malazan books up until the crippled god years ago. I have yet to read Blood and Bone or Assail and I would like to reread at least some of the series to catch up as it's been awhile since I read them. Should I reread through the Esslemont books, kind of rereading them as a stand alone series? Or just start with Gardens of the Moon and go hardcore through the entire series?? I also have just downloaded the first three Tales of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach, is there an appropriate time to read these novellas? Or should I just read them as a standalone series?? Any advise would be greatly appreciated! Thanks:)

#2 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:53 PM

The Bauchelain and Korbal Broach books can be read at any time after Memories of Ice (when they're most fresh in people's minds).

The Esslemont books probably work best if you read the Erikson books published immediately before and after the publishing of Esslemont book you're looking at (assuming you remember the main players from the early Malazan days or at least recognize their names).

I did a straight series re-read the first couple times and then started jumping around with different books at different times (out of sequence) from then on.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#3 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:58 PM

For B&B and Assail in particular, like if you really want to get to them soon, reading only the Esslemont books shouldn't hurt. They are very much continuations of ICE's story arcs, and even vague remembrances of SE's works should suit you in terms of callbacks. That said, if you are doing a whole series reread anyway and don't mind the wait, then doing the intertwining authors thing can't be beat. You can read the novellas any time after MOI and be fine. Use them as buffers between the longer books, or read them all at once, no biggie.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#4 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:27 PM

If you're re-reading the main MBotF series, you can even read Blood Follows, the Lees of Laughter's End and The Wurms of Blearmouth before MoI if you want to try and put them in chronological order with MoI.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#5 User is offline   Arrana 

• Recruit

Posted 17 September 2014 - 04:52 AM

Part of the reason I was thinking of skipping the MBotF series was bcuz I have everything except gardens of the moon on my kindle, I actually bought it at the same time I ordered the kindle:) it would seem weird reading everything but the first book.... I'm a 6 hr drive from my copy of GOTM but after giving it some careful concideration, I'm just going to buy the ebook and do the whole reread. why not?? They r awesome books, it's been a few years & I can go right through to Assail & add in the novellas, see the whole big picture. It will also give me a reason to stop stalking GRRM & RSBakkers websites;)

Thx a bunch:)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users