Malazan Empire: Continuous read-through of Robert Jordans Wheel of Time - Malazan Empire

• 19 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Continuous read-through of Robert Jordans Wheel of Time Spoilers for all books, Spoilers unblocked and blatant

#61 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 02 October 2014 - 05:01 AM

View PostAbyss, on 01 October 2014 - 04:24 PM, said:

There is no such thing as enough Lan.

Truer words about WoT were never spoken.
- Wyrd biđ ful aræd -

#62 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 02 October 2014 - 01:30 PM

Finished Fires of Heaven.

I knew Moiraine was going to die the second she started handing out letters. What I was anticipating was that she would die in the raid, so the entire Lanfear thing was quite a shock. However that entire falling through a doorway thing is very shifty and my policy in high fantasy has always been to never trust a death unless I can see a body. This lesson came very early in life thanks to a chap called Gandalf the Grey and White.

The balefire duel between Rand and Rhavin was nice, and Nynaeve finally used the Dreaming for something other than communication. But my main worry is that RJ has basically introduced time-reversal through balefire which has opened up the whole time-travel issue, which is a very bad thing because unless you are careful this stuff just spirals into paradoxmania.

Who killed Asmodean? My guess is one of the Forsaken.

Did not like Lan riding off to some other Aes Sedai. He should have gone to Nynaeve so they could kick ass together. Nothing could have stood before the sword of the Malkieri and the Braid of Terror!!!

The Aes Sedai continue to be useless, politicking away to themselves. Frankly their continued insistence on rules, rules which lost almost all value the minute they left the Tower is pathetic. Their treatment of Siuan and Leane is insane. She was Amyrlin not just because of the Power but because of her brains! They simply can't seem to grasp the realities of a post-Dragon-Reborn world. The Seanchan continue to be noted only in the margins. I am expecting to here they have restarted the cmpaign and retaken coastal islands any day now. A full on invasion coould not be stopped without all nations united and the Aes Sedai taking the field. But of course they will continue to carp on rules and jockey for influence. Frankly Gareth Bryne is wasted here. He should find Morgase and march to Camelyn, where knowing Rand, he would be too happy to let them retake the throne on condition of loyalty.

#63 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 02 October 2014 - 03:25 PM

The end of Fires is a fun ride. Looking forward to your thoughts on Lord of Chaos.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#64 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 02 October 2014 - 04:24 PM

View PostAndorion, on 02 October 2014 - 01:30 PM, said:

Who killed Asmodean? My guess is one of the Forsaken.

BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAHEEEHEHEHEEeewheeeze.

Ahem... Sorry.

Everything you posted is RAFO-worthy, but for what it's worth, your reactions are right in line with most.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#65 User is offline   Grief 

• Prophet of High House Mafia

Posted 02 October 2014 - 04:38 PM

View PostAndorion, on 30 September 2014 - 02:56 AM, said:

Elayne who is princess and heir to Andor, Aes Sedai in training and an exceptionally good one at that (She casually mentions she can make Ter'angreal when absolutely no one has been able to do that since the Breaking)

There's pretty hefty magic inflation throughout the books. Every time he wants to emphasise how great someone is, they're doing something no one could before...and then the next time around, the next person needs to do something even more ridiculous, etc. Likewise, people easily defeating people built up as incredibly powerful, to show how great they are, for whatever particular effect he's going for at a given moment.

I'm sure there's a TVtropes page dedicated to it.

Cougar said:

Grief, FFS will you do something with your sig, it's bloody awful

worry said:

Grief is right (until we abolish capitalism).

#66 User is offline   Grief 

• Prophet of High House Mafia

Posted 02 October 2014 - 04:40 PM

Also, if you go back through this forum you can probably find several different essays by Terez about Asmodean written at various points...

Cougar said:

Grief, FFS will you do something with your sig, it's bloody awful

worry said:

Grief is right (until we abolish capitalism).

#67 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 02 October 2014 - 04:53 PM

No one should taint their understanding of fiction from exposure to tvtropes. And I wouldn't search for Terez's posts yet because they'll be full of spoilers with no real way to filter out the ones without them.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#68 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 02 October 2014 - 04:55 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 02 October 2014 - 04:53 PM, said:

...And I wouldn't search for Terez's posts yet because they'll be full of spoilers with no real way to filter out the ones without them.

I agree, especially with the series being completed.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”

#69 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 02 October 2014 - 04:58 PM

View PostGrief, on 02 October 2014 - 04:40 PM, said:

Also, if you go back through this forum you can probably find several different essays by Terez about Asmodean written at various points...

View PostIlluyankas, on 02 October 2014 - 04:53 PM, said:

No one should taint their understanding of fiction from exposure to tvtropes. And I wouldn't search for Terez's posts yet because they'll be full of spoilers with no real way to filter out the ones without them.

Duly noted. I am assuming this is a hotly debated topic.

#70 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 02 October 2014 - 04:58 PM

View PostGrief, on 02 October 2014 - 04:38 PM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 30 September 2014 - 02:56 AM, said:

Elayne who is princess and heir to Andor, Aes Sedai in training and an exceptionally good one at that (She casually mentions she can make Ter'angreal when absolutely no one has been able to do that since the Breaking)

There's pretty hefty magic inflation throughout the books. Every time he wants to emphasise how great someone is, they're doing something no one could before...and then the next time around, the next person needs to do something even more ridiculous, etc. Likewise, people easily defeating people built up as incredibly powerful, to show how great they are, for whatever particular effect he's going for at a given moment.

I'm sure there's a TVtropes page dedicated to it.

Dragonball Z

#71 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 02 October 2014 - 05:03 PM

There's a 'what does the angreal say about his One Power level' joke somewhere in there
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#72 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 02 October 2014 - 09:20 PM

View PostBriar King, on 02 October 2014 - 06:56 PM, said:

Also what makes you think my boy Asmo got offed by a Forsaken?

Oh stop, just stop. It's not even fair. :rant:

#73 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 03 October 2014 - 01:17 AM

View PostAbyss, on 02 October 2014 - 09:20 PM, said:

View PostBriar King, on 02 October 2014 - 06:56 PM, said:

Also what makes you think my boy Asmo got offed by a Forsaken?

Oh stop, just stop. It's not even fair. :rant:

Because Asmodean knew the chap, and all the people he knew from Rand's circle were either not in Camelyn or with Rand. Plus Moghedien says something about Sammael and Rhavin setting a joint trap for Rand. Rhavin gets offed, so it might be Sammael.

#74 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 05 October 2014 - 02:59 AM

About 6 chapters into Lord of Chaos and nothing seems to be happening. After an intriguing beginning with Demandred in the Pit of Doom, the story just flattens. Its basically Rand Travelling around and Mat dancing. In great detail. I really could have done without that dance. This is one problem of RJs that seems to be getting amplified.... the time he takes to get a book going. Even Sammael and Graendals conversation was boring.

#75 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 05 October 2014 - 02:59 AM

This is when I most miss GotM which in my opinion holds the record for the most explode-in-your-face storyline.

#76 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 05 October 2014 - 04:04 AM

LORD OF CHAOS is significant for being both one of the best books but also the signal, in some of its slower moments, of what's to come for the next three or four books in a bad way. For what it's worth when it hits the fan in this book, it hits fast hard and awesome, so enjoy.
Popular opinion seems to be that the 7-9 stretch isn't so bad when you can read them back to back and skim the drudge parts, so there's that. For those of us who were waiting 1-2 years between books it was fairly irritating.

#77 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken

Posted 06 October 2014 - 02:37 PM

Waiting for it...

#78 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 07 October 2014 - 03:59 AM

12 chapters in and well....
The Aes Sedai continue to be irritating to an almost ludicrous degree. They don't have a clue what's going on or what to do. Thankfully there are indications that RJ intends them to be so as both Bryne and Nynaeve are repeatedly complaining so I hope this state of enforced and idiotic idleness is going to change soon.

Meanwhile Rand gets bound as Warder to Alanna. WTF? On my list of random events to suddenly happen that would have ranked somewhere near Rand having a certain heart attack and dropping dead in mid-step. Exactly how is this supposed to help the Aes Sedai? Now he is actively hostile and that is very very bad news.

BTW was RJ closet BDSM? All that collar and leash thing with Moghedien, that dream scene when the Aes Sedai get tortured by Trollocs (I mean the Trollocs are cannibalistic ravagers. Why the hell would they do torture when they can kill and eat?) the repeated and emphasised references to 'switching' and 'whipping'...

Anyways, Pedron Niall's POV was much appreciated if not entirely plausible. From the Whitecloaks stance what he is trying to do makes sense though how he intends to win the Last Battle without channelers is beyond me.

I am pretty much convinced that the Seanchan are back. No news from Tanchico, the Sea Folk not sailing from the South Coast...I never really understood why Nynaeve and Elayne did not interrogate Egeannin further about the Seanchan or drag her to the Aes Sedai as a real live Seanchan

This post has been edited by Andorion: 07 October 2014 - 03:59 AM

#79 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken

Posted 07 October 2014 - 12:37 PM

Jordan did seem to have a predilection for the kinky stuff. As for your questions regarding why the waking nightmare happened the way it did, you are right to question. maybe give it a reread?

#80 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 08 October 2014 - 04:51 PM

View Postacesn8s, on 07 October 2014 - 12:37 PM, said:

Jordan did seem to have a predilection for the kinky stuff. As for your questions regarding why the waking nightmare happened the way it did, you are right to question. maybe give it a reread?

Probably will, but I need to finish this book. Bloody things tends to bog down at the slightest provocation

Share this topic:

• 19 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users