• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Islamic State WTF!

#241 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 February 2019 - 10:06 AM

View PostGorefest, on 20 February 2019 - 10:06 AM, said:

Sayid Javid (and, by extension, the Tory party) is a total dick.

This is also entirely correct!
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#242 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 20 February 2019 - 11:02 AM

View PostGorefest, on 20 February 2019 - 09:15 AM, said:

Yes, apparently the home office is trying to revoke her British citizenship. Seems terribly cynical and typical Tory populist pandering. I'm not even sure if you can legally revoke someone's citizenship if it is the only one that they have, because according to international human rights nobody should ever be stateless. and as far as I know she doesn't have any other nationality. So this is not only populist but stupid as well.

International law isn't worth the paper it was originally written on! The countries who might normally try to enforce it (USA and UK) wont enforce it on themselves.

#243 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 24 February 2019 - 01:46 AM

View PostCause, on 20 February 2019 - 11:02 AM, said:

View PostGorefest, on 20 February 2019 - 09:15 AM, said:

Yes, apparently the home office is trying to revoke her British citizenship. Seems terribly cynical and typical Tory populist pandering. I'm not even sure if you can legally revoke someone's citizenship if it is the only one that they have, because according to international human rights nobody should ever be stateless. and as far as I know she doesn't have any other nationality. So this is not only populist but stupid as well.

International law isn't worth the paper it was originally written on! The countries who might normally try to enforce it (USA and UK) wont enforce it on themselves.

For now this will be appealed via judicial review through Britain's own legal system.
Eventually, if all else fails, they may take it to Strasburg.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#244 User is online   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 08 March 2019 - 09:36 PM

Her baby has died aged 3 weeks. No matter what view you might have on the political arguments going on here, this is just really sad.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#245 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 21 April 2019 - 01:58 PM

So ... Sri Lanka. At the time of writing 207 dead, 500+ injured.

I'm wondering 2 things:

1. Will this get the same outpouring of grief as Christchurch?
2. Is this the beginning of the next phase after the "land defeat" of IS, with the massive diaspora of thousands of surviving trained and veteran fighters? Of course that is predicated on this being an IS job, so maybe I'm drawing a long bow.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 21 April 2019 - 01:58 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#246 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 21 April 2019 - 02:07 PM

I'm out of the loop when it comes to these regions but isn't these attacks "common" in places like Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Indonesia, etc?

They've got much more segregated, radicalized, militarized groupings. I feel like it's always coordinated attacks we here about from this regions of the world.

#247 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 21 April 2019 - 02:36 PM

Sri Lanka's civil war ended 10 years ago. They haven't seen anything like this in that time. This was a coordinated strike against western/Christian targets, again something not generally seen in Sri lanka.

Don't know where you're getting the references to Malaysia, they're a muslim majority nation and while a tad corrupt, generally quiet.

Indonesia has been ramping up the BS in the last 20 years no small thanks to those fuckheads in KSA spreading Wahhabism everywhere, but aside from some internal stuff and the Bali bombings in the early 2000s they haven't been pulling anything like this.

Maybe you're thinking of Myanmar/Pakistan/Philippines?
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#248 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 21 April 2019 - 02:46 PM

Maybe, like I said, Asia isn't really something that comes up in the news much.

#249 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 22 April 2019 - 04:44 AM

Huh, coincidence?

https://www.news.com...29a1df54a0e519c

They may be taking credit for someone else's work, but ...

#250 User is online   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:58 AM

View PostTsundoku, on 22 April 2019 - 04:44 AM, said:

Huh, coincidence?

https://www.news.com...29a1df54a0e519c

They may be taking credit for someone else's work, but ...

It doesn't matter if they did or not. Their goal is to sow fear and hatred and by appearing to be everywhere they more easily achieve that.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#251 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 22 April 2019 - 10:42 AM

Danish news just reported that three of the people killed were the children of one of Denmark's wealthiest men, Anders Holch Povlsen. The CEO of one of the biggest business concerns in Denmark.

That's going to get interesting if he decides to put pressure on the Danish government. This is the guy who's behind a building project in the middle of nowhere that resembles the tower of Sauron.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 22 April 2019 - 10:45 AM

#252 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 22 April 2019 - 11:06 AM

If I had that sort of money and my kids were killed by terrorists, I know what my new major investment would be.

#253 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 23 April 2019 - 03:03 AM

They had 4, so there's one left. Not a lot information currently, since the media is respecting their privacy.

Share this topic:

• 13 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users