• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What colour is Greymane? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Wolfdrop 

• Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 04 August 2014 - 05:35 PM

Topic title says it all really.

In RotCG he was described as "a deep berry hue". Is this to mean that he's got blue/purple skin? I thought he might be Napan given the number of them in the Old Guard but in Stonewielder he gives his place of birth as Quon, I can't remember the exact name. It might have been an island but it definitely wasn't Nap.

I think his skin was described as "windburned" sometimes. Usually the Napan blue skin is pointed out and is pretty noticeable, I don't think any characters ever commented on Greymane having any distinguishing features apart from the ice-blue eyes, grey hair and beard, and him being built like a bear.

Surely blue skin would be noticed? Especially from an enemy perspective, for picking him out of a crowd.

Any thoughts?

#2 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:45 PM

He's a deep berry hue.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#3 User is offline   D'iversify 

• First Sword

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:27 PM

I think the 'deep berry hue' remark is just some bad use of description. My impression is that 'windburned' bets fits with a reddish complexion (think Native American) and that the 'berry' referred to must therefore be a red one, e.g. a cranberry.
I am the Onyx Wizards

#4 User is offline   Wolfdrop 

• Fist

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:59 PM

D said:

1407184036[/url]' post='1139790']
I think the 'deep berry hue' remark is just some bad use of description. My impression is that 'windburned' bets fits with a reddish complexion (think Native American) and that the 'berry' referred to must therefore be a red one, e.g. a cranberry.

That was my impression too while reading. I only got "deep berry hue" from the wiki after seeing an artwork someone did on here where someone made him blue. I thought I'd missed a fairly large detail of his appearance. It's a great picture, exactly how I imagined him sans the skin tone. I doesn't help that a quick google search for deep berry hue brings up nothing but purple lipstick....

#5 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 05 August 2014 - 01:58 AM

And here was me thinking he was grey as granite......Posted Image

#6 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:27 AM

The way I see it the term "burnished skin" can be applied to several varieties of skin color.

It's often associated with wind weathering or shock tans and doesn't so much describe a skin color as it does the condition of said skin. I'm sure he has simple Quon features.

But yeah first time I've thought of it really. Funny how one can glide over such details. I pictured him differently after each book, can you link up the artwork you've mentioned? Not sure I recall seeing it on DA.
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#7 User is offline   Wolfdrop 

• Fist

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:40 AM

Here's the link to the original artwork

http://forum.malazan...25481-greymane/

#8 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:45 PM

He says he is from Geni, but we don't know what an "ethnic Geni" would even look like, nor whether Greymane was necessarily an "ethnic Geni" either. If he is (and it's a half-decent assumption since his dad was just a fisherman) then I expect somewhere between caucasian, asian and Napan, as Geni is close to Unta, Malaz, Kan and the Napan isles.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#9 User is offline   PLUGO 

• Lieutenant

Posted 28 November 2016 - 09:45 PM

Was going to start another thread on the subject of Greymane but I figured I'd add some commentary here. Missed the reference to Berry color perhaps it'll come up once I complete my second read of the book. What struck me was the description of him being so weathered, and with an evidently prolonged life so the thought of what might have started as "red" skin darkening to a dull brown/purple is fully plausible.

What really struck me was the number of times he was described as giant ( a word Esslemont uses about as frequently as Erikson uses "bemused" ). It had me wondering if he actually has some Thelomen Tartheno Toblakai blood in his veins, or even Thel Akai. Characters of that race are in the previous books as well, they all seem to have that affinity with Burn. In that light there seems to be a thematicparallel between Eriko and Greymane as well, the more apparent parallel with Ivanr. It would also explain how he could keep his stone sword hidden beneath his feet. Sure it could be a property of that sword in particular, but of all the stone swords in this series, only his seems to have such an ability.

Perhaps the power of the sword is tapping into Stoneweilder's latent connection with the warren of Burn?

#10 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 29 November 2016 - 05:23 AM

Greymane's sword seems to be a gift from Burn.
That's radically different from the Imass stone swords and the one Karsa made.

The giant thing... I just took that as him being really big in a human way. Usually when someone had T3 or variant blood the description raised it.

The deep berry hue thing.... some really dark skin tones can have a tone I've seen described as almost deep purple or red-black. It's an odd turn of phrase tho. In my head Greymane was always a big white guy with a lot of grey hair.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#11 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 29 November 2016 - 05:42 AM

I think he has high blood pressure.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#12 User is offline   Glass Desert 

• Corporal

Posted 03 January 2017 - 03:23 PM

With the exciting new Jet Black, Greymane 7 now comes in 5 colors.

Silver
Black
Gold
Rose Gold
Jet Black

There.

This post has been edited by Glass Desert: 04 January 2017 - 06:25 PM

#13 User is offline   Glass Desert 

• Corporal

Posted 03 January 2017 - 03:31 PM

View Postdeath rattle, on 04 August 2014 - 07:45 PM, said: