• You cannot reply to this topic

Tattersail... New reader - clearing things up

#1 User is offline   Aftertime 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Magic, magic and magic...

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:39 PM

Hello everybody, Aftertime here!

I'm a new reader to the series and as I'm not a native english speaker I can say that I've never been more confused in my life before.

I'm currently at Chapter Four (Page: 163), still coping with the story luckly, even tho I missed probably a million of details which result in million of questions, but yet there's a part of the story that keeps bothering me and I'm sure I should understand it for the following reading - this is where I'd need your enlightenment.

Encounter with the Moon's Spawn...okay the encounter was pretty clearly written and understandable, but the following events were kinds of..not. I found Tattersail speaking with Tayschrenn reading cards etc. and a couple of scenes later she was already with Whiskeyjack and the company.
Whats the relation between the two mages and why is Tayschrenn somehow above her rank and power? I've got a feeling everybody's just using her in the way a boss would use a secretary lol. Also what are they trying to achieve in this "big mission" afterwards? I came to the part with Hounds but yet don't know what mission are they talking about for the past 50 pages.

I'd appreciate if anyone that understood well the scenario or this part of the book make a summary what 's happening/happened after the encounter (Not further than the Hounds part). Thank you alot in advance!

Aftertime

This post has been edited by Aftertime: 26 July 2014 - 09:26 PM

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

#2 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:06 PM

View PostAftertime, on 26 July 2014 - 08:39 PM, said:

I'm a new reader to the series and as I'm not a native english speaker I can say that I've never been more confused in my life before.

I'm currently at Chapter Four (Page: 163), still coping with the story luckly, even tho I missed probably a million of details which result in million of questions, but yet there's a part of the story that keeps bothering me and I'm sure I should understand it for the following reading - this is where I'd need your enlightenment.

Encounter with the Moon's Spawn...okay the encounter was pretty clearly written and understandable, but the following events were kinds of..not. I found Tattersail speaking with Tayschrenn reading cards etc. and a couple of scenes later she was already with Whiskeyjack and the company.
Whats the relation between the two mages and why is Tayschrenn somehow above her rank and power? I've got a feeling everybody's just using her in the way a boss would use a secretary lol. Also what are they trying to achieve in this "big mission" afterwards? I came to the part with Hounds but yet don't know what mission are they talking about for the past 50 pages.

I'd appreciate if anyone that understood well the scenario or this part of the book make a summary what 's happening/happened after the encounter (Not further than the Hounds part). Thank you alot in advance!

Aftertime

Tayschrenn is the high mage (like a General) and Tattersail is a cadre mage. So he is her superior and she is bound to follow his orders.
The Malazan army is encamped out of Pale. WhiskeyJack's squad is busy with digging the tunnels. So they are all around the same place, geographically close to each other. RAFO about the big mission.

#3 User is offline   Aftertime 

• Recruit

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:15 PM

Aha okay things are getting clearlier. So why was she with Tayschrenn(even tho she suspected that it was his fault for slaughterer of her cadre) after the Moon's spawn encounter and then went to Whiskeyjack?

View Postnacht, on 26 July 2014 - 10:06 PM, said:

View PostAftertime, on 26 July 2014 - 08:39 PM, said:

Aftertime

Tayschrenn is the high mage (like a General) and Tattersail is a cadre mage. So he is her superior and she is bound to follow his orders.
The Malazan army is encamped out of Pale. WhiskeyJack's squad is busy with digging the tunnels. So they are all around the same place, geographically close to each other. RAFO about the big mission.

#4 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:57 AM

Tayshchrenn is Tattersail's superior not just in rank, but also in power. (I hope you got that from when they met in Dujeks tent) She is not prepared to openly break with him. Also some RAFO here.

#5 User is offline   Aftertime 

• Recruit

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:10 AM

Aha thanks, ye I get it now...RAFO today, no worries.

#6 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:11 AM

She cannot prove her suspicions re Tayschrenn and her cadre, and he is her superior in any case, so unless she has damned good reasons to she'd better not break with him and she knows it. Besides, she knows he needs her for laying out the Deck of Dragons, as her talent for that is superior.

She teams up with Whiskeyjack and his squad because they share her suspicions and together the possibilities of finding out what really happened may increase.

Now, I'm not sure what you mean by the 'Hound part' and thus where you are in the book, since the only Thing I can think off happens some time after Pale. If you could clarify that we might be able to help you more.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#7 User is offline   Aftertime 

• Recruit

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:51 AM

Wow that was right what I was searching for. Got them answers now, thanks a lot. Oh the "Hound part" was when they were getting ready to ride the Quorls and the book started to describe the Hounds of Shadow for the first time - Hound Gear precisely. I appreciate for your reply as I got all the answers...for now ^_^

View PostPuck, on 27 July 2014 - 09:11 AM, said:

She cannot prove her suspicions re Tayschrenn and her cadre, and he is her superior in any case, so unless she has damned good reasons to she'd better not break with him and she knows it. Besides, she knows he needs her for laying out the Deck of Dragons, as her talent for that is superior.

She teams up with Whiskeyjack and his squad because they share her suspicions and together the possibilities of finding out what really happened may increase.

Now, I'm not sure what you mean by the 'Hound part' and thus where you are in the book, since the only Thing I can think off happens some time after Pale. If you could clarify that we might be able to help you more.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users