Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Haag or Page?

#1 User is offline   Mcardle 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:12 PM

Hail all, first time post long time lurker, been working my way throug the audiobooks on my re-read and absolutely loved Ralph Listers readings of 1-3, and see there is old recordings by John Haag and newer versions by Michael Page, and I wondered which version is considered better? And maybe which is closer to Ralph Listers pronunciation as some of the words the guy who did Forge of Darkness kinda killed it for me, Kurald Galain and Tiste especially!
Cheers Posted Image
Last In, First Out

#2 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:42 AM

Welcome to the active posting madness, Mcardle

I have not heard either version, so can't comment on that, but sympathise with your remark about the pronunciation. My tip would be to keep on listening to a version... eventually you'll get used to it.

I once absolutely disliked the audio version of a favourite book as the voice totally didn't match what I'd been hearing in my head whilst reading but after a while I got used to it and now wouldn't want to have anyone else read it.

#3 User is offline   Mcardle 

• Sergeant

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:52 PM

Cheers! Think I'll go with Michael Page, John Haag is American and that just jars with me after Listers performance!
Last In, First Out

#4 User is offline   Wolfdrop 

• Fist

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:05 PM

I've only listened to excerpts from the audiobooks so can't comment too much on quality, what I heard of Michael Page was good, as was Lister.

However, the Brilliance Audio produced audiobooks, that's the Michael Page ones, were actually made in collaboration with SE so that's the version I would go with.

Quote from Brilliance Audio: "This novel and all others in the Malazan Book of the Fallen series follow my own pronunciations of 'Malazan' words and names. My thanks to Michael and Jane and everyone at Brilliance Audio" - Steven Erikson, Victoria, B.C. Canada, January 2014

You can listen to some previews here: https://www.brillian...nLyN2dnZ1dXQ%3D

This post has been edited by Wolfdrop: 24 July 2014 - 06:08 PM

#5 User is offline   Sypher 

• Recruit

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:31 AM

Page isn't bad, tho the original guy was much better. What I don't like about Page is that he changed the pronunciation of quite a few things, and some voices are just off.

Edit: Ok, Erickson's pronunciation of his own words sucks compared to Lister's

This post has been edited by Sypher: 29 July 2014 - 12:33 AM

#6 User is offline   Wolfdrop 

• Fist

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:18 AM

Completely agree with Sypher, while official,some of Erikson's pronunciations are woeful. Ralph Lister was great.

Some of SE's official pronunciations just annoyed me i.e Y'Ghatan - YUH-GATAN whereas Lister calls it EE-GA-TAN

The only one that I flat out don't accept is: Soletaken - SAWL-EE-TAK-AN instead of SOUL-TAKEN.

I thought the reasoning behind "soletaken" was that they turned into one thing (sole) and D'ivers (diverse) were many

#7 User is offline   Rahul_Ahuja 

• Recruit

Posted 22 December 2016 - 07:58 PM

View PostMcardle, on 22 July 2014 - 07:12 PM, said:

Hail all, first time post long time lurker, been working my way throug the audiobooks on my re-read and absolutely loved Ralph Listers readings of 1-3, and see there is old recordings by John Haag and newer versions by Michael Page, and I wondered which version is considered better? And maybe which is closer to Ralph Listers pronunciation as some of the words the guy who did Forge of Darkness kinda killed it for me, Kurald Galain and Tiste especially!
Cheers Posted Image

Kinda late in replying but joined up only recently. Anyways, I've listened to the the John Haag narrations and absolutely love them. In fact, I even tried to find the first 3 books in his narration but seems like they don"t exist. Haag's old man scratchy voice gives a very arcane feel to the story being narrated. To any who are interested, I would emphatically recommend trying at least 1 book with Haag as narrator and then making your decision.

P.S. Just listened to a Page demo, Haag's voice and narration is far better imho.

This post has been edited by Rahul_Ahuja: 22 December 2016 - 08:25 PM

#8 User is offline   Fiddlerstrings 

• Recruit
  • Interests:Adult fantasy, climbing, running, hiking, eating, drinking laughing.

Posted 07 August 2018 - 02:50 PM

Hi folks been a long time since I've posted. Currently relistening to the series. I've downloaded the audiobooks one at a time through iTunes etc. I seemed to have an old version of House of Chains narrated by John Haag, can't seem to find his versions anywhere. Tried listening to Page but I had to stop myself from bursting my ear drums with blunted chopsticks. He just wasn't my cup of whiskey at all. Haag had a great gravely sawdust voice and did a great Iskarl Pust. I loved Lister but I'd dearly like to get my hands on the later Haag versions. Any ideas on where I might purchase them, Page seems to be the only option out there that I can find.

Ralph wept for the end of innocence, the darkness of man's heart, and the fall through the air of the true, wise friend called Piggy.

#9 User is offline   Fiddlerstrings 

• Recruit
  • Interests:Adult fantasy, climbing, running, hiking, eating, drinking laughing.

Posted 03 September 2018 - 05:07 AM

Ok I’m here to apologise about Page. I gave in and got his versions. He’s actually not bad at all, very good in some parts. I retract my gripes Mr Page.

Ralph wept for the end of innocence, the darkness of man's heart, and the fall through the air of the true, wise friend called Piggy.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users