Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:30 PM

SPOILERS SPOILERS
SPOILERS
FOR

WURMS OF BLEARMOUTH AND

ALL YES

ALL SE AND ICE BOOKS THAT HAVE GONE BEFORE

YES THAT'S RIGHT ALL BECAUSE I AM EVIL AND EVIL IS

JUST A STATE OF MIND AND FROM THENCE WE WONDER CAN THERE BE DEGREES OF EVIL...

ALSO, COOKIES

EVIL COOKIES.

The Last Bauchelain and Korbal Broach book was CRACK'D POT TRAIL... it was unusual. SE was clearly having fun with some things and messing with the audience and getting a little funky and a little existantial and it was all good but it was a detour from the Malazan World, even the twisted little corner that B&KB inhabit.

This was a return to that corner and damn it was fun.

Picking up off the end of LEES, various shipwreck survivors and their pursuers land at the Wreckers Coast town of Blearmouth, when intrigue is already thick and ugly.

Hilarity ensues.

I really enjoyed this. It was a quick read. It was funny. It had B&KB at their creepy effective best, a diverse and colorful supporting cast and the mandatory group of Malazan soldiers wholly out of their depth yet totally ok with that.
Warrens are opened, crossbows are shot, cookies are baked, people die... in some ways this was a nice reflection of some pre-FALL OF LIGHT elements to the books that were less reflected (pun intended) in that book.

I utterly enjoyed the byplay between Lord Fangaclawtoothrenderwhatsisface and Bauchelain, and how their challenge ended.

I laughed out loud every time Korbal took out a bucket golem.

The byplay between the two squads of marines was perfect.

Mancy was less whiny, more competent and even more drunk. Also, poisoned. HA!

The Innkeeper/Brothel Madam and the hermit/Champion were pure Malazan goodness where a bigger/other story is hinted at.

And the Hillbilly Necromancers stole practically every scene they were in. Again.

This was a great addition to the B&KB stories and a fun treat between books.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#2 User is offline   Wolfdrop 

• Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:00 PM

The novellas seem to be getting better with each one he releases. There's so much packed into a relatively small amount of pages. I'm always amazed how he manages to create the moments that make you go "aah" when something clicks in the space of a hundred or so pages.

The B&KB are forming an overarching narrative of their own now which is nice, albeit not by publishing order. On my reread of them I'll be reading Wurms inbetween Lees and Healthy Dead with Crack'd Pot Trail last.

Loved seeing more of the Chanters in Wurms, there was definitely a gap between Lees and Crack'd Pot Trail that needed to be filled. Although I seem to remember that at the end Lees they were described as having Jhag blood and tusks, but by Wurms/CPT they're just big guys with TTT (or bear...) ancestry

#3 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:14 PM

The Chanters don't seem to know their own origins... hardly surprising that the stories around them are varied. :p

The thing with the Sister was damn funny.

#4 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:05 PM

View PostAbyss, on 21 July 2014 - 06:14 PM, said:

The Chanters don't seem to know their own origins... hardly surprising that the stories around them are varied. :p

The thing with the Sister was damn funny.

We want more! We want more!

#5 User is offline   Overactive Imagination 

• High Fist

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:20 PM

You just read this book? It's been out for like a year man. I thought you were a hardcore fan!

#6 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:46 PM

View PostOveractive Imagination, on 29 July 2014 - 06:20 PM, said:

You just read this book? It's been out for like a year man. I thought you were a hardcore fan!

Availability was initially limited and then i got it and kept getting sidetracked from the hardcore one session readthru i wanted to do.

#7 User is offline   Raker 

• Recruit

Posted 16 September 2015 - 10:38 AM

Can anyone tell (write) me if the word "Wurms" has any real meaning in English? And I do not mean Alps glaciation. Is it just specific name of the place? The title suggests something more (worms?).
Crack'd Pot Trail and Wurms of Blearmouth were not published in Polish (ICE books too) so I have to read original editions and sometimes it is not as easy as I would like it to be.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users