Malazan Empire: ( Dassem Ultor -- Quick Ben ) Democratic Hierarchy of the Gods - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

( Dassem Ultor -- Quick Ben ) Democratic Hierarchy of the Gods Swords and Sorcery

Poll: ( Dassem Ultor -- Quick Ben ) Democratic Hierarchy of the Gods (42 member(s) have cast votes)

Who wins?

1. Dassem Ultor (16 votes [38.10%])

Percentage of vote: 38.10%

2. Quick Ben (26 votes [61.90%])

Percentage of vote: 61.90%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 11 July 2014 - 03:27 AM

The mountain above shakes. Ancient magic seeps into the earth as the Warrens of Shadow and Ice devour stone. Shadowthrone and Hood unleash twin hells as they battle amidst the caverns below. No man would dare enter such a fray.

Dassem Ultor, Lord of Tragedy, First Sword of the Empire, and former Knight of High House Death is more than just a man, however. Once he served the powerful Jaghut below. No longer. Now he seeks to do the task currently being performed by Shadowthrone. Shadowthrone, the deceiver.

The deceitful God of Shadow had twisted his words and crossed meanings for the last time. Hood would die by Dassem's own hands. Shadowthrone had interfered for his own goals, would stand in the way of the single thing Dassem would spilt the world in two to achieve.

Shadowthrone now stood in his way. He'd see the skinny magi removed from said path at any cost. And then he'd finish Hood himself.

The Dal Honese swordsman maneuvers through stone now running molten from wayward spells. The light from the fires catch on the steel at his side. Shadowthrone turns and gauges the newcomers intent. A passing glance at best. Shadowthrone was locked in a battle that could end him at a moments mistake.

The God of Shadow ran a single, thin finger across the back of the knuckles of his offhand. Shaved knuckles.

And as Dassem sets his will to the task at hand, another shadowy magician is seemingly pulled from the darkness. Ben Adaephon Delat had a look that said volumes - 'You have GOT to be kidding me,' it said.

Ben Adaephon Delat, Quick Ben, knew immediately why he'd been summoned, just as he knew he had no choice in the matter. A glance at the man he'd been brought here to kill. Dassem bloody Ultor. The Hood-cursed former head of the most dangerous group of men there ever was.

'You've GOT to be kidding me,' he shouts. Shadowthrone, although no longer in sight, can be heard giggling.

Dassem knew of the man in his way. He'd rather not had to fight him. But Hood lay on the other side of this cavern, and this man's life would be small penance. Just as it was known, Dassem would split the world in two for this. Even if the world died. What was one wizard in the bigger picture.

One wizard would soon feel like 12. Quick Ben would not underestimate this adversary.

Seven Warrens open.

Steel and scabbard separate.
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#2 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 11 July 2014 - 04:21 AM

Got to go with QB here. Dassem is fast. Deadly fast.But nothing I remember indicates he is resistant to magic. And QB heldof Icarium. Plus there's is 'Fight smarter, not harder" routine...

#3 User is offline   Tarthenal Theloman Toblakai 

• Engineer Extraordinaire!
  • Interests:Engineering, books, films, gaming, gym, running, mountain biking

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:08 AM

Can Dasseem actually die these days? I need to start my reread soon, but I am sure he has a destiny to not die now he ascended? Usually I would agree that it is QB hands down, the dude is too elusive and magic trumps sword everytime in a normal circumstances kind of fight. But with Dasseem, I seem to remember him being essentially unable to die currently in his ascended form? I know he certainly could die (as he nearly did) and that he is paranoid about arrows and crossbow bolts killing him in most of ICE's books, but theres just an itch in my brain, (maybe when he met Kallor and ran the prick through with his sword) that he can't actually die? Or his life can only be taken by a certain person or being?

I am gonna back Dasseem as the underdog, and cuz I love the guy. Even though my brain says to go the other way!
"There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail — should we fall — we will know that we have lived." ― Anomander Rake, Son of Darkness

#4 User is offline   Luperci 

• Not Bruce Wayne
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Fighting crime and hanging with my Butler

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:32 AM

View PostTarthenal Theloman Toblakai, on 11 July 2014 - 06:08 AM, said:

Can Dasseem actually die these days? I need to start my reread soon, but I am sure he has a destiny to not die now he ascended? Usually I would agree that it is QB hands down, the dude is too elusive and magic trumps sword everytime in a normal circumstances kind of fight. But with Dasseem, I seem to remember him being essentially unable to die currently in his ascended form? I know he certainly could die (as he nearly did) and that he is paranoid about arrows and crossbow bolts killing him in most of ICE's books, but theres just an itch in my brain, (maybe when he met Kallor and ran the prick through with his sword) that he can't actually die? Or his life can only be taken by a certain person or being?

I am gonna back Dasseem as the underdog, and cuz I love the guy. Even though my brain says to go the other way!

I don't recall him ever impaling Kallor, what book was that?

Also I think it has less to do with him be invincible just that he was focused on his mission of vengenace against Hood that he wasn't going to allow anyone to stand in his way. We know that he is the First Sword and the Champion of the people but I think most of his confrontations were met with blades not magic. Sure his ascended form was the Lord of Tragedy but he never acknowledged that role and I find it hard to believe that he couldn't be killed or beaten by Magic especially someone so elusive as QB. With that being said I still voted for Dassem just because hes a bonafide Bad Ass and one of the few good people in this series who wields great power.
The Harder the world, the fiercer the Honor.

-Dancer

#5 User is offline   Tarthenal Theloman Toblakai 

• Engineer Extraordinaire!
  • Interests:Engineering, books, films, gaming, gym, running, mountain biking

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:49 AM

View PostCapedCrusader, on 11 July 2014 - 06:32 AM, said:

Also I think it has less to do with him be invincible just that he was focused on his mission of vengenace against Hood that he wasn't going to allow anyone to stand in his way. We know that he is the First Sword and the Champion of the people but I think most of his confrontations were met with blades not magic. Sure his ascended form was the Lord of Tragedy but he never acknowledged that role and I find it hard to believe that he couldn't be killed or beaten by Magic especially someone so elusive as QB. With that being said I still voted for Dassem just because hes a bonafide Bad Ass and one of the few good people in this series who wields great power.

He impales him on his epic sword on the beach in one of ICE's books whilst standing with that last surviving dude from the race that preceded the Toblokai that were peace loving. (sadly memory is fading, but he travelled all over with Dassem, including the wall). Kallor rocks up to kill the elder guy, and Dassem owns him. Kallor is shocked (who wouldn't be?!) and asks what he was I do believe, and Dassem says something like 'my life is not yours to take'. I think he may be more magic proof than people think, but we don't actually know, not until the Karsa Trilogy or Assail at the earliest I think. Either way, DASSEM RULES QB DROOLS :(

I keep writing Dassem with two 'ee's and its doing my nut in lol. I think I read it like that in my own head the first time I read it, and now I keep typing it how its sounds in my head.....

This post has been edited by Tarthenal Theloman Toblakai: 11 July 2014 - 09:51 AM

"There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail — should we fall — we will know that we have lived." ― Anomander Rake, Son of Darkness

#6 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 11 July 2014 - 04:50 PM

View PostTarthenal Theloman Toblakai, on 11 July 2014 - 09:49 AM, said:

View PostCapedCrusader, on 11 July 2014 - 06:32 AM, said:

He impales him on his epic sword on the beach in one of ICE's books whilst standing with that last surviving dude from the race that preceded the Toblokai that were peace loving. (sadly memory is fading, but he travelled all over with Dassem, including the wall). Kallor rocks up to kill the elder guy, and Dassem owns him. Kallor is shocked (who wouldn't be?!) and asks what he was I do believe, and Dassem says something like 'my life is not yours to take'. I think he may be more magic proof than people think, but we don't actually know, not until the Karsa Trilogy or Assail at the earliest I think. Either way, DASSEM RULES QB DROOLS :(

I keep writing Dassem with two 'ee's and its doing my nut in lol. I think I read it like that in my own head the first time I read it, and now I keep typing it how its sounds in my head.....

Think it's this passage:

"You live" he breathed awed.

Traveller rolled his shoulders, wincing.
"My life is now my own magus, It can no longer be taken by anyone"

RotCG Pg. 1090

Dassem was in a void that should've killed him apparently yet he shrugged it off after Ereko pulled him out.

To be honest I'd say its even in Dassems favor.

Quick held off Icarium, that is, to my mind, his grand daddy act of the series. but Trull trounced that achievement IMO and somehow survived Icariums pressure, pressure QB had to exhaust his warrens to blast away. I have to wonder if Dassem couldn't do the same and maybe better. If Dassem can face Rake with a pressure Rivaling Rakes own I don't see raw magical force being a problem for him. Dassem is literally on the very edge of ascendancy if not an actual ascendant already.

When ascendants face each other what they represent is half the battle and I think Dassem pulls on alot more "juice" from his fellow worshipers than Quick does with his 12 souls. Dassems pressure counters magic Juggernaut style something quite common in the Malazan upper echelon.

This post has been edited by Dolmen Weeks: 11 July 2014 - 04:55 PM

“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#7 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:09 PM

Can Qb have his own shaved knuckle in the hole?

#8 User is offline   Inane Babble 

• Lieutenant

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:24 PM

Even if he is unkillable that doesn't at all mean he wins. As this series has shown us time and again, there are fates worse than death, and that even immortal or unstoppable entities can be... dealt with.

I can't imagine a scenario where quick ben doesn't slip through dassem's grasp as they battle through multiple warrens (dassem chasing or quick ben baiting? BOTH!) ending up with Dassem trapped somewhere inimical to his presence and quick ben out of breath, but nowhere in sight.

#9 User is offline   Brujah 

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:27 PM

View PostAndorion, on 11 July 2014 - 05:09 PM, said:

Can Qb have his own shaved knuckle in the hole?

Indeed so!

A tall, broad shouldered, black-skinned, bear-like assassin of a man named Kalam.
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

- Maynard James Keenan

#10 User is offline   Brujah 

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:15 PM

View PostDolmen Weeks, on 11 July 2014 - 04:50 PM, said:

Dassem was in a void that should've killed him apparently yet he shrugged it off after Ereko pulled him out.

To be honest I'd say its even in Dassems favor.

Quick held off Icarium, that is, to my mind, his grand daddy act of the series. but Trull trounced that achievement IMO and somehow survived Icariums pressure, pressure QB had to exhaust his warrens to blast away. I have to wonder if Dassem couldn't do the same and maybe better. If Dassem can face Rake with a pressure Rivaling Rakes own I don't see raw magical force being a problem for him. Dassem is literally on the very edge of ascendancy if not an actual ascendant already.

When ascendants face each other what they represent is half the battle and I think Dassem pulls on alot more "juice" from his fellow worshipers than Quick does with his 12 souls. Dassems pressure counters magic Juggernaut style something quite common in the Malazan upper echelon.

I wouldn't argue against most of what you say to describe Dassem. Dassem is a thoroughbred badass. No one can dispute such, nor diminish his formidable offense. However, I would have to give pause when deciding whether he was indestructible. The series is called The Book of the Fallen, remember. I would have to argue that every character was capable of dying somehow.

I also want to point out the recurring theme of 'power ups' throughout the series, and as the story nears end, Quick Ben has amassed an untested amount of power. I'm not sure if it's from TGC, but Quick Ben makes the statement that he was the only one who could stand in Draconus' way. This statement speaks volumes about what he's capable of.

As far as your mention of Dassem fighting Rake to a standstill, you fail to mention how Rake's plan all along was to be defeated so that he could enter Draginpur. But that's not even as important as the bigger fact, which is that Rake didn't even use his magic, didn't unleash his Warren nor open Kurald Galain, nor draw from the Eleint aspect of his power. Basically, Rake held back everything magical, which leads me to believe he did so because he felt it would destroy Dassem, and this was in opposition to his plans. So this further persuades me to believe that extremely heavy magic, wielded correctly, would trump Dassem's unique skills.

I believe that Quick Ben has finally stepped into the role of possibly the most powerful spellcaster alive. Only Shadowthrone seems to possess greater affinity for magic.

So, I have to lean towards Quick Ben's amassed magical repertoire. I feel that if he'd hit Dassem with the same force he'd hit Icarium, that he'd be able to knock Dassem into a state of unconsciousness. And even if it didn't kill him, he'd be able to maintain the upper hand.

I can't rightfully say that I could see Quick Ben hitting Dassem with everything he had, and Dassem only shrugging it off and is able to cut Quick down. He'd have to be phased to some extent. And there is when I'd give the edge to Quick. Quick could open a huge hole in the ground beneath Dassem if he as able to stun him, and trap him there or something equally devious, like dropping a mountain on his head.

Sorcery over Sword, in my humble opinion. Though close enough that I have to accept that votes could fall either way.

- Maynard James Keenan

#11 User is offline   NefaraisBredd 

• Fist

Posted 22 April 2018 - 10:45 AM

Dassen is a God. Kellanved and Dancer hAve always been afraid of him since day 1. No contest

#12 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 22 April 2018 - 06:41 PM

Quick Ben blows Gods to pieces.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users