Malazan Empire: What if you combined the Dreden Files and Watch Dogs? - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What if you combined the Dreden Files and Watch Dogs? A Dresden Files videogame discussion

#1 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 04 June 2014 - 03:30 PM

I was sitting and watching TotalBiscuits first impressions of Watch Dogs the other day and towards the end he makes a funny observation. He calls the protagonist a wizard because of the ridiculous hacking powers he has.

(Video in case you haven't heard of the game)

It made me think of the Dresden Files as a videogame and the more I thought about it the more ideas for an open world Dresden Files games I came up with.

First of all, Watch Dogs itself is set in Chicago and could easily be adapted to a Dresden Files game and second of all, the protagonists hacking abilities actually fit really well with Dresdens "Hexus" spells and his general effect upon technology.

I started thinking about how many of the ideas and tropes of the book series that fits into videogame mechanics.

You have the bulletproof duster and the Shield bracelet that would account for Dresden being able to take damage from gunfire and explosions with out going down.

You have various spells that would give Dresden certain skills or powers.

The third eye would be used as something similar to Batmans detective vision.

The Ways would serve as quick travel nodes.

You have Dresdens 44 magnum and his shotgun as projectile weapons and you have the blasting rod and magical staff for magical attacks.

His mode of transportation would be the Blue Beetle. All other cars in the game are accessible but as soon as you have driven a mile the car breaks down, if it will even start.

Dresden would be able to craft various magical artifacts and potions via his lab in his house.

You pick up new quests or missions in his office in downtown Chicago.

Various Dresden Files characters could be quest givers or important NPCs. Murphy representing the city's police, Marcone representing the crime underworld, Michael representing the church, Nicodemus reresenting the denarians, etc.

If you wanted to get into more advanced mechanics, maybe a Mass Effect/The Witcher style RPG reputation system, you could have Dresden picking choices between good, amoral or evil choices. Depending upon his choices or maybe just by picking a crossroad, Dresden would be good and work with the White Council and the Knights of the Cross/The Church or he would go dark and pick up a Denarian coin. Or maybe he goes sideways and chooses Winter. Or something in between.

There's a lot of possibilities in there.

What do you think? What kind of videogame would you make out of the Dresden universe?

#2 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 04 June 2014 - 03:58 PM

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

Seriously though that would be an amazing game.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#3 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:19 PM

Press Q to crack wise
Press E to stare at nipples (only works on female targets)
Enemies have stacks of Badassoscity, they take less to no damage until stacks are removed (stacks are removed when they punch Dresden in the face)
Press G to say 'Murphy is good people'
Complete tutorial to unlock secondary and tertiary wisecrack keys (complete challenges to unlock the remaining 27 wisecrack keys)
Press E, Ctrl, F5 and Page Down repeatedly to break out of nipple staring (only used in Murphy, Lara, Molly, Charity and Mouse bossfights)
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#4 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:30 PM

Actually, I think Dresden's sarcasm should be some kind of special taunt ability.

Imagine something like 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand where you spend money to buy better "disses" or more profane shout-outs.

Also you should have to drink craft beer and eat steak-sandwiches to regain stamina and morale.

This post has been edited by Apt Hoc: 04 June 2014 - 04:30 PM

#5 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:03 PM

RPG progress:

Become Summer Knight/Winter Knight/Warden

Relevant quests - Warden missions assigned from the White Council/Quests from Titania/Mab, a la guild missions in Oblivion - with Summer/Winter being mutually exclusive of course - can't do both.
meh. Link was dead :(

#6 User is offline   Ukjent 

• First Sword

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:41 PM

A Dresden open world rpg.. that's a fucking wet dream.

#7 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:32 PM

if you want to do a 'bad guy' could become a Denaarian if you wanted.

Or the various vampire types.
meh. Link was dead :(

#8 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:32 PM

Yeah there are enough paths of the nasty for you to turn down should you want to do the "renegade" route...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#9 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:22 AM

The real challenge would be designing it so that 'mere human' characters aren't dead meat in the first three minutes.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#10 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:40 AM

I always loved that beat-up leather duster on Marston in Red Dead. It even got darker when it got wet.

In a Dresden game it could be upgradable, and show damage or glow with layered spells.

Just imagine boss battles like the Ick or Chlorofiend...

This post has been edited by Traveller: 05 June 2014 - 06:47 AM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#11 User is offline   TazerJMarks 

• Recruit

Posted 25 August 2014 - 03:26 AM

View PostApt Hoc, on 04 June 2014 - 03:30 PM, said:

I was sitting and watching TotalBiscuits first impressions of Watch Dogs the other day and towards the end he makes a funny observation. He calls the protagonist a wizard because of the ridiculous hacking powers he has.

(Video in case you haven't heard of the game)

It made me think of the Dresden Files as a videogame and the more I thought about it the more ideas for an open world Dresden Files games I came up with.

First of all, Watch Dogs itself is set in Chicago and could easily be adapted to a Dresden Files game and second of all, the protagonists hacking abilities actually fit really well with Dresdens "Hexus" spells and his general effect upon technology.

I started thinking about how many of the ideas and tropes of the book series that fits into videogame mechanics.

You have the bulletproof duster and the Shield bracelet that would account for Dresden being able to take damage from gunfire and explosions with out going down.

You have various spells that would give Dresden certain skills or powers.

The third eye would be used as something similar to Batmans detective vision.

The Ways would serve as quick travel nodes.

You have Dresdens 44 magnum and his shotgun as projectile weapons and you have the blasting rod and magical staff for magical attacks.

His mode of transportation would be the Blue Beetle. All other cars in the game are accessible but as soon as you have driven a mile the car breaks down, if it will even start.

Dresden would be able to craft various magical artifacts and potions via his lab in his house.

You pick up new quests or missions in his office in downtown Chicago.

Various Dresden Files characters could be quest givers or important NPCs. Murphy representing the city's police, Marcone representing the crime underworld, Michael representing the church, Nicodemus reresenting the denarians, etc.

If you wanted to get into more advanced mechanics, maybe a Mass Effect/The Witcher style RPG reputation system, you could have Dresden picking choices between good, amoral or evil choices. Depending upon his choices or maybe just by picking a crossroad, Dresden would be good and work with the White Council and the Knights of the Cross/The Church or he would go dark and pick up a Denarian coin. Or maybe he goes sideways and chooses Winter. Or something in between.

There's a lot of possibilities in there.

What do you think? What kind of videogame would you make out of the Dresden universe?

Why are we talking about this? Lets start a partition to Ubisoft and Jim to make a Dresden game!
Get a Kickstarter or something! There are lots of fans out there who would love this!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users