Malazan Empire: Malcolm Glazer dies aged 85 - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Malcolm Glazer dies aged 85 More turmoil for Utd?

#1 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:21 PM

Glazer dies!

I wonder if this will mean a quick attempt to sell or will one of his family just keep business running as normal? Maybe we can be like Citeh and get multi billionaire Arab owners and buy our way to the Premier League?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#2 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:45 PM

View PostTisteon Simeonus, on 28 May 2014 - 08:21 PM, said:

Maybe we can be like Citeh and get multi billionaire Arab owners and buy our way to the Premier League?

You bought your way to the premier league for years before Glazer was around....
meh. Link was dead :(

#3 User is offline   Fid 

• Old Git of High House Muttley

Posted 29 May 2014 - 07:44 AM

I don't see any change in tack - certainly no chance of cashing out after last season's performance.

#4 User is offline   Whiskey Bass 

• Grand High Cook of High House Bass(e)
  • "Dont gain the world and lose your sole, wisdom is better than silver and gold"

Posted 29 May 2014 - 01:51 PM

View PostTisteon Simeonus, on 28 May 2014 - 08:21 PM, said:

Glazer dies!

I wonder if this will mean a quick attempt to sell or will one of his family just keep business running as normal? Maybe we can be like Citeh and get multi billionaire Arab owners and buy our way to the Premier League?

How else do you think Man U started to dominate, out of the first 10 premiership seasons Man u won 8 of them. so with the much increased prize money A Ferguson and Man U started the whole "lets buy players for the sake of it, and so deny opposition teams of possible decent players"

its pathetic to moan about other teams just because finally they are capable of competing financially....... and in Man C's case better them

Posted Image

#5 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 29 May 2014 - 05:56 PM

It will be interesting to see if Glazer's heirs continue his overall corporate strategies regarding the Bucs, the Lightning and Manchester United.

I know Arsenal and their owners (Kroenke-led) have had what I consider a negative effect on the club (getting 4th place, securing places in European leagues is the main goal, not actually winning them). I don't mean that every club should put in massive offers for players, ending up with a Real Madrid style Galacticos, but that there has been a careful strategy of doing just good enough with a club that has the financial resources and fan support to do more than that on a very regular basis.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#6 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:15 AM

The family have been running the club for years now, why would this change anything? He hasn't been in charge since about a year or two after the takeover.

Tbh I find this topic in bad taste.

And we don't need a rich owner to get back on financial terms with City, we just need the debt to go away, since our revenue streams are so much greater than anyone else's in the league. Which, slowly though it is, is happening, and will happen faster with the blatant commercial saturation that started to happen the instant Fergie retired.

View Postamphibian, on 29 May 2014 - 05:56 PM, said:

I know Arsenal and their owners (Kroenke-led) have had what I consider a negative effect on the club (getting 4th place, securing places in European leagues is the main goal, not actually winning them). I don't mean that every club should put in massive offers for players, ending up with a Real Madrid style Galacticos, but that there has been a careful strategy of doing just good enough with a club that has the financial resources and fan support to do more than that on a very regular basis.

Nah. Arsenal are one of the few clubs that have been sustainably run in the last few years, and I'm glad they have been. There was a turning point in the stadium debts about a year and a half ago (they're still there, but as I understand it they've got to the stage where the interest is no longer taking big chunks out of yearly profits), and you saw the effects of that pretty much instantly - several players got new contracts in the same week, and Ozil became by far the club's most expensive ever signing the next possible summer. So they will kick the spending up. I'd be very surprised if they didn't challenge for the title next season, and if they do, it'll be, like this season, because there's something very wrong with their fitness, not because they failed to spend.

Kroenke's done alright. No, he doesn't put any of his own money in directly but he doesn't really need to and on the flipside he also doesn't try to stick his oar in in situations he doesn't understand, he just stays out of the way and lets the club get on with things. Any financial decisions made on the playing side are really made between Wenger and the board.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#7 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 30 May 2014 - 03:52 AM

Why break up the Invincibles so quickly then? Or drive off Fabregas or Van Persie?

The Ozil signing was pouncing on an opportunity of a lifetime, not a sign of anything greater. They knew they would recoup in jersey sales and continued PL contention. Look at the current and just past windows. Arsenal's stadium deal was the sign of the Walmartization of the club beginning.

I did the research last year on the figures behind scenes and it came out looking like everyone except SAF involved with the Invincibles and serious prospect development was pushed out in favor of those who could get marketing deals done.

The nearly insane faith in Ramsey and Koscielny paying off is the biggest difference in Arsenal making it to top four this year. That drove people nuts last year and it may not last long.

#8 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 30 May 2014 - 03:55 AM

I follow Barcelona and Dortmund mostly, but the transformation of Arsenal from the Invvincibles to now has been fascinating - and not in a particularly uplifting manner.

#9 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:52 PM

View Postamphibian, on 30 May 2014 - 03:52 AM, said:

Why break up the Invincibles so quickly then? Or drive off Fabregas or Van Persie?

It wasn't 'driving off' or breaking up anything. It was maintaining the wage structure and thus being unable to match offers from elsewhere. Yes, if Kroenke put his own money in they might have been able to do that, but that also leaves the club at his mercy and if he gets bored they'd be fucked

The Ozil signing was pouncing on an opportunity of a lifetime, not a sign of anything greater. They knew they would recoup in jersey sales and continued PL contention. Look at the current and just past windows. Arsenal's stadium deal was the sign of the Walmartization of the club beginning.

It was opportunistic, but also not something they would have done a year or two before. And they were already being linked with big names beforehand of the sort that weren't previously feasible- Higuain, Suarez. There's quite clearly a greater desire to spend money.

Arsenal have spent at least £40mil on players in each of the last three seasons - the last time they did that before then was 06/07. And last summer, for the first time in a while, it wasn't balanced by incoming transfers. Despite their eventual position in the league, they're in much better shape than they were two seasons ago, and for the first time since the Invincibles fell apart, have kept together their best players for two seasons, and aren't likely to lose anyone they don't want to, bar Sagna who's not a major cog, this year either.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#10 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 14 June 2014 - 06:57 AM

Malcolm Glazer - isn't he the pilot from Enders Game revered as a national hero for defeating the Formic?

Rest in Peace, guy.
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users