• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Helloooo! I'm new

#1 User is offline   Nathalie 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:25 AM

Hallo!

I'm new and have no clue how everything works around here.

My name is Nathalie, 23 years old and i live in The Netherlands. English is my third language so if i make any big grammar mistakes, feel free to correct me. How else am i supposed to learn? Posted Image
I got introduced to this forum bij someone on the internet. I love reading but never know what to read next. I don't know anyone irl that reads the kind of books that i read so i hope tot learn about some exciting new series here.

I started reading Terry Pratchett - The colour of magic yesterday. Yesterday i also finished Confessor by Terry Goodkind, i think this series was okay.

BYE! Posted Image

This post has been edited by Nathalie: 16 May 2014 - 10:26 AM

#2 User is offline   Nathalie 

• Recruit

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:31 AM

I already found out that this is a forum about Steven Erikson. Did not know that...Posted Image

I do have Gardens of The Moon on my E-reader (for a year now..) but i never started to read it. I thought this was a general forum about fantasy series... Does anyone have a tip about a good forum that's not about one author specifically?

Yes i've heard about google but the internet is so big, i dont know where to start, haha.

This post has been edited by Nathalie: 16 May 2014 - 10:35 AM

#3 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:13 AM

hello Nathalie

Don't worry about the forums theme. Most of the activity on the forum outside release windows is centered in the off-topic area.

If you scroll down the forum page you will find we have a very active "Other litterature" sub-forum where we talk about all kinds of other books, both fantasy and sci-fi and other stuff.

Here's a link:

http://forum.malazan...her-literature/

You'll find plenty of threads dedicated to recommending new books to read.

This post has been edited by Apt Hoc: 16 May 2014 - 11:16 AM

#4 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:08 PM

The "Reading at t'moment?" and "The book I bought today is..." threads (found in the "Other Literature" forum sub-forum that Apt Hoc linked) are great places to find new titles too. And, as they said, we talk about a lot of other books besides Erikson's on these forums.

Welcome!

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 16 May 2014 - 12:09 PM

#5 User is offline   Tarthenal Theloman Toblakai 

• Engineer Extraordinaire!
  • Interests:Engineering, books, films, gaming, gym, running, mountain biking

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:48 PM

Welcome! just out of interest what are your first and second lanugauge?

I wholeheartedly recommend ready that copy of Gardens of the Moon you already have, its AMAZING! and caused me to join this fine forum. I would also recommend you read A Song of Ice and Fire by George R R Martin if you haven't already. I would also recommend Joe Abercrombies First Law Trilogy books which are great fantasy in my opinion, I heard about him on here! Amongst other awesome sounding authors I am yet to read, like Glen Cooke (Chronicles of the Black Company) and Mark Lawrence (The Broken Empire).

hope this helps for now!
"There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail — should we fall — we will know that we have lived." ― Anomander Rake, Son of Darkness

#6 User is offline   James Hutton 

• High Scholar of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:39 PM

View PostTarthenal Theloman Toblakai, on 16 May 2014 - 12:48 PM, said:

Living in the Netherlands, I'm assuming either her first or second language to be Dutch.
Secret message: "Keep up the good work, yours truly"

#7 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:40 PM

As the others have said, welcome and don't worry too much about this being an Erikson-specific forum.

Most of the people here have read and will read English books - not just fantasy - extensively and we discuss just about anything here with an eye towards friendliness and good evaluations. Some people branch out into books in the original Russian, Polish, French and more, so if you're hunting for those, we may be able to help you there.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#8 User is offline   Nathalie 

• Recruit

Posted 18 May 2014 - 11:36 AM

View PostTarthenal Theloman Toblakai, on 16 May 2014 - 12:48 PM, said:

I wholeheartedly recommend ready that copy of Gardens of the Moon you already have, its AMAZING! and caused me to join this fine forum. I would also recommend you read A Song of Ice and Fire by George R R Martin if you haven't already. I would also recommend Joe Abercrombies First Law Trilogy books which are great fantasy in my opinion, I heard about him on here! Amongst other awesome sounding authors I am yet to read, like Glen Cooke (Chronicles of the Black Company) and Mark Lawrence (The Broken Empire).

hope this helps for now!

I'm Dutch. But because i live near the German border my parents raised me to speak German fluently also.

Thanks for the tips! I've already read the Series by George R R Martin and I absolutely loved it. I'm a big fan of the TV series as well! Today is a beautiful day, and what better way to enjoy it then by reading in the garden. Posted Image I'm starting in Gardens of the moon right now.

Thank you all for the welcome, i can tell that this board will help me just fine in my love for fantasy books.

#9 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:44 PM

You found the forum and started Gardens of the Moon at the same time! I think a lot of people read Gardens of the Moon, then end up here after a couple of chapters. You'll find out why.

Welcome to the forum - check out the book threads, I'm sure you'll find loads of good suggestions from people who have similar tastes to your own.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users