Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Current Deck of Dragons

#1 User is offline   Cain Ikari 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 07 May 2014 - 05:16 PM

Can anyone take a stab at jotting down the current Deck of Dragons for all the High Houses and Unaligned? I'm interested to see the current state of things. I haven't seen the authors do it lately.

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:22 PM

After Icariums ritual and the subsequent fallout in RG/DOD/TCG, that might be harder to do than one imagines.

With the re-emergence of Elder Gods, Azathanai and what else combined with the birth of a whole new Pantheon. it's hard to guess who is where when why.

Might be easier to mention who is not there any longer.

The Knight of Darkness is dead, might be passed on to Nimander or Draconus.

Queen of Darkness might become active again.

The King of Death is gone and the House of Death is not controlled by the Army of the Dead... I remember the Bridgeburners getting some special card by Paran in BH.

Alternatively the House of Ice might be emerging with a new King of Ice.

There is now only one Wolf of Winter/War, the other one died... does that mean there is only one throne in the Beast Hold?

The Orb card suddenly became active and then not.

I can't remember K'rull's card, was it Scepter? That one has switched to T'renn.

Dolmen signifies Burn I think. That one might become more active now.

The Crippled God is gone.

That's some of the more obvious ones that come to mind.

This post has been edited by Apt Hoc: 07 May 2014 - 06:23 PM

#3 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:35 PM

Is there still a House of Chains without him? That's the question.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#4 User is offline   Rictus 

• Captain

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:50 PM

Also, Fiddler has his reading before the end. Now, I realise these things can change at a moment's notice and all is in flux and things, but by the end of the main series the Houses get quite a few members. Such as Brys and Lostara in Life, and Quick Ben in Dark. Did they stay there after the F. Assail threat had been resolved, or was it only a temporary 'promotion'?
Edit: my keyboard has exploded

This post has been edited by Rictus: 07 May 2014 - 06:55 PM

#5 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:56 PM

View Postworry, on 07 May 2014 - 06:35 PM, said:

Is there still a House of Chains without him? That's the question.

Already in HoC (or was it BH?) It was stated that the CG severed his connection with the house. He is not the god of the House of chains. It is merely a House that mirrors his aspect.

So I'd guess the House is there to stay.

View PostRictus, on 07 May 2014 - 06:50 PM, said:

Also, Fiddler has his reading before the end. Now, I realise these things can change at a moment's notice and all is flux and things, but by the end of the main series the Houses get quite a few members. Such as Brys and Lostara in Life, and Quick Ben in Dark. Did they stay there after the F. Assail threat had been resolved, or was it only a temporary 'promotion'?

A role suggested by a reading is not the same as a position in the Deck of Dragons. Or how ever it is Abyss usually phrases it.

A reading does not tell us about the actual figures in the DOD, it merely suggests who is performing what aspect or role that coincides with a position in a house. Say, for example, you're about to go into a battle, a reading might show you as a Soldier of Death or a Soldier of Life or a Mason or a Weaver or any other number of things that fulfills a need, push or pull of the Houses that have been drawn into the fray.

#6 User is offline   Legatus 

• Stormwall Warrior

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:19 PM

And that is exactly the reason why it is so complicated...

#7 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:53 PM

True, Apt, but where does that leave the priesthood? It seems a House particularly beholden to its god, is all, given that he actually performed "miracles". What is Felisin Fatter gonna do w/o the magical backup, for instance, now that both Whirlwind goddess and Kam are gone? I'm just asking out of curiosity, not argument.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#8 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:12 AM

View PostApt Hoc, on 07 May 2014 - 06:22 PM, said:

After Icariums ritual and the subsequent fallout in RG/DOD/TCG, that might be harder to do than one imagines.

With the re-emergence of Elder Gods, Azathanai and what else combined with the birth of a whole new Pantheon. it's hard to guess who is where when why.

Might be easier to mention who is not there any longer.

The Knight of Darkness is dead, might be passed on to Nimander or Draconus.

Queen of Darkness might become active again.

The King of Death is gone and the House of Death is not controlled by the Army of the Dead... I remember the Bridgeburners getting some special card by Paran in BH.

Alternatively the House of Ice might be emerging with a new King of Ice.

There is now only one Wolf of Winter/War, the other one died... does that mean there is only one throne in the Beast Hold?

The Orb card suddenly became active and then not.

I can't remember K'rull's card, was it Scepter? That one has switched to T'renn.

Dolmen signifies Burn I think. That one might become more active now.

The Crippled God is gone.

That's some of the more obvious ones that come to mind.

As of OST, Draconus is King of Darkness. Remember Envy's reading of the Deck?

#9 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:09 PM

View Postworry, on 07 May 2014 - 11:53 PM, said:

True, Apt, but where does that leave the priesthood? It seems a House particularly beholden to its god, is all, given that he actually performed "miracles". What is Felisin Fatter gonna do w/o the magical backup, for instance, now that both Whirlwind goddess and Kam are gone? I'm just asking out of curiosity, not argument.

It's curious thing isn't it?

Personally I still don't understand how the Houses actually work. I remember once making the analogy that the warrens are like an ocean that contains magical water of some kind, the Houses, Holds or what ever system is like the water system or municipal water plant that controls the water flow and the mages are the faucets the magic comes out of.

It makes sense that the House of Shadow runs on Shadow magic or some derivative there of but what does the House of Chains run on? For that matter what does a House of War or a House of Life run on?

I suspect that worship of the Crippled God is actually worship of some abstract concept that envelopes failure, the break down of hope, pain, missery, the loss of hope, ennui and similar concepts. When people give into these concepts and gain pleasure or relief through letting go or giving up, that is a form of worship that feeds the House of Chains. That's the power and that is something that a priest can use.

That and I think Chaos might actually be an aspect of the House of Chains. Not the virulent, destructive, seductive kind that Hairlock succumbed to but some off-shoot of it. Some kind of rejection of the commonly accepted domain of civility and propriety.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users