• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Warbreaker

#21 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 29 March 2017 - 02:31 PM

Rise dead-thread... rriiiIIIIIiiiiiiise!

Ten or so hours into the 25 hours of WARBREAKER, here are my SPOILER-ridden thoughts...

1. Brandon has come a long long way since writing this.

2. Thank God.

3. Siri's storyline is so trite i am tempted to write down the next ten developments just so i can tick them off as i listen.

4. Vivenna's plotline is better, tho her initial motives - hey my sister got my job, i think i'll go kidnap her back, waah Daddy issues - were thin.

5. Denth and Tonk Fa are fun.

6. I haven't made my mind up about Nightblood and Vasher yet. Nightblood in particular... amusing or irritating, haven't decided.

7. Lightsong isn't bad. I think Brandon could have made the same points by now in about half the text.

8. Interesting magic system but...

9. ....every time i read the word 'biochromatic' it throws me right out of the otherwise sword and sorcery medieval setting.

10. Not bad overall, so far.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#22 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 29 March 2017 - 02:46 PM

There are indeed some hitches in the narrative, most of it due to it being early-Sanderson...but yeah I think it finishes strong, and the good stuff ends up outweighing the bad...and I especially LOVE the Mediterranean/Byzantine setting.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#23 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 10 April 2017 - 03:01 PM

View PostAbyss, on 29 March 2017 - 02:31 PM, said:

Rise dead-thread... rriiiIIIIIiiiiiiise!

Ten or so hours into the 25 hours of WARBREAKER, here are my SPOILER-ridden thoughts...

1. Brandon has come a long long way since writing this.

2. Thank God.

3. Siri's storyline is so trite i am tempted to write down the next ten developments just so i can tick them off as i listen.

4. Vivenna's plotline is better, tho her initial motives - hey my sister got my job, i think i'll go kidnap her back, waah Daddy issues - were thin.

5. Denth and Tonk Fa are fun.

6. I haven't made my mind up about Nightblood and Vasher yet. Nightblood in particular... amusing or irritating, haven't decided.

7. Lightsong isn't bad. I think Brandon could have made the same points by now in about half the text.

8. Interesting magic system but...

9. ....every time i read the word 'biochromatic' it throws me right out of the otherwise sword and sorcery medieval setting.

10. Not bad overall, so far.

Just finished.

11. Siri's storyline proceeded predictably. The character just barely saved it from being tedious.

12. Vivena's storyline was by far more interesting on all point. I genuinely enjoyed it.

13. Lightsong's storyline was ok. Predictable but with a fun narrative and the odd swerve here and there. Could have been shorter, but worked.

14. Vasher and Nightblood grew on me. Also, looking thru the Coppermind after finishing to tie WARBREAKER into the Consmere was fun, largely due to these two. The revelations about them towards the end of the book leave a lot of very cool possibilities for their involvement in TSA.

15. The end was satisfying overall, but not showing the stone Lifeless dealing with the other Lifeless was, imnsho, a weak note in an otherwise satisfying finale. If we were supposed to accept that the less than 1000 stone Lifeless would have no trouble dealing with 40k dead human Lifeless, it should have been clearer.

16. Changing your hair colour is the silliest sign of royalty ever. I get how it tied into the Returned at the end, but even so. That said i give Brandon credit for how it was played by the priests to 'read' Siri.

17. The most interesting things about the biochroma system are the hints that it can do far more than we see in the book.

Decent book, decent earbook, glad i read it.

In the larger scope of the Cosmere i am VERY curious to see where this world fits. There is insane potential if, by example, Vasher on Roshar learns to use investiture from highstorms or whatever in the place of Breaths. Instead of needing several thousand souls, just leave Nightblood outside overnight...
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users