Malazan Empire: The South Park Series - Malazan Empire

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The South Park Series Sticks of Truths and Fractured ****holes.

#1 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:27 PM

I finished South Park: The Stick of Truth last night. Or maybe it finished me I am not sure.

But I am sure that this game is absolutely fantastic and you, yes you, that guy or girl reading this, needs to go buy the game and play through it to the end. Even if you're not a big fan of South Park go buy it and play it. It deserves every cent that the game is going to earn.

I remember there was a lot of buzz around the South Park movie back when it came out. Saddam Hussein and Satan and Jesus and what ever. It was so edgy and profane, etc. back before the Internet taught us about the true depths of human nature. If you thought that South Park the movie was provocative, South Park: The Stick of Truth fucking destroys the movie in every way possible. You know how we all get up in arms about censorship when various agencies want to censor our games? I actually understand why South Park got censored in some countries. This game is disgusting and vile and insulting and just plain uncomfortable in places. I mean that in the best way possible by the way. I am not going to mention anything, you may already have seen or heard things elsewhere, but there is some shit in this game that had me staring at the screen and making me ask myself what the fuck am I doing with this controller?

What Stone and Parker have created together with Obsidian studios is something truly remarkable. There is things in this game I have never seen anyone do before. There are some videogame lines that get crossed in a big way. And the story itself is actually fantastic. It's extremely well crafted, mixing the relatively innocent idea of children LARPING with the weirdest shit imaginable.

Even if you're not interested in South Park, the game itself is remarkably well designed. It's a relatively short turned based action RPG that uses various ideas from the South Park universe to create characters, environments and scenarios that are rather unique. It's relatively short for an RPG, I think I finished it in around 20 hours having done absolutely every side mission, but this also means that nothing in this games narrative feels like filler. Everything is fleshed out and thought through. The combat is streamlined and while the combat is pretty easy, a walk in the park towards the end, the gameplay feels fun and fluid and fresh. The usually repetitive nature of turn based combat with random encounters is kept fresh by the ridiculous nature of the characters and the enemies. I still have The Bards songs about the maiden stuck in my head.

Somebody go play this game and come back when you have finished it. I need somebody to talk to about how sick this game is.

Lets try to keep the spoilers in black boxes for now.

This post has been edited by Alternative Goose: 17 October 2017 - 06:33 PM

#2 User is offline   Jakovasaurus 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:35 PM

This one is definitely in the batter's box for me. I just need to complete some DLC I started for The Last of Us and oh shit, I still have to plow through Farcry 3: Blood Dragon.

#3 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:39 PM

Go play this game first. Hurry, before Manbearpig gets you.

#4 User is offline   Wind 

• Recruit

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:45 PM

I beat this game in less than 24 hours. It was AMAZING!!! I am looking for an excuse to play through it again. I have one homless camp to find. I have no idea where it is. I feel like Ive searched everywhere. I have an item or two that say that they are quest items but no quest for them. 89 friends. I am sure there has got to be more. If you haven't played it yet. do so. WARNING: do not let your children play this game. I am sure I didnt need to say that but you never know.

#5 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:58 PM

About the Homeless People quest:

Spoiler

What class did you choose and which faction did you side with?

I went with the Jew class, just because it was something different from what you usually see in an RPG. I suspect that class is probably kind of OP. The biblical plagues magical attack is super effective,

Spoiler

I imagine I will play through it again in a year or so, pick a different faction and maybe try the warrior class.

This post has been edited by Apt Hoc: 12 March 2014 - 08:04 PM

#6 User is offline   Wind 

• Recruit

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:12 PM

I will check. I know I got the one at the truck. (sorry new. Dont know how to do the spoiler thing yet. so I kept my description vague) I chose Rogue. I almost always do. I pretty much beat the game with backstab lol. Though there are some other cool attacks. I chose Humans. Butters = Awesome. Jimmy = weak.

#7 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:21 PM

So, the rogue attack. When it says backstab does he just anally rape the opponent or is it less grotesque?

Jimmy was the shit. I didn't like his abilities very much but the songs were so awesome!

There once was a maiden from Stoneberry Hollow
She didn't talk much but boy did she swallow.
I have a nice lance that she sat upon.
The Maiden from Stoneberry who is also your mom.

The combination of his studdering and the fact that they're little kids singing this stuff just cracks me up.

I've been humming the song all day today.

#8 User is offline   Wind 

• Recruit

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:26 PM

His songs were pretty awesome. No the backstab is a three button single hit. Huge damage. I just found the last homeless camp right where you said it was. All quests complete as far as I know. 90 friends now. I am sure there has got to be at least 10 more. I am missing 7 Chimpokomon and I have 4 quests items with no quests. I dont know. Maybe Ill go explore canada some more. LMAO that cracked me up man. I was not expecting the graphis hahahahahah!

This post has been edited by Wind: 12 March 2014 - 08:35 PM

#9 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:28 AM

Really been wanting to play this, but I'm not willing to drop $60. Waiting for it to go on sale for $30-40 and I'll be picking it up.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#10 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:23 AM

If you're playing it on pc and google cd keys I am sure you can find it for around 30-40 dollars. That's what I did.

#11 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:39 AM

Yeah, cheapest one I could find was $45 or so. Besides the Russian ones for about $20, but I don't want to bother with getting around region locking.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#12 User is offline   Kanubis 

• Captain of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:21 AM

View PostApt Hoc, on 12 March 2014 - 08:21 PM, said:

So, the rogue attack. When it says backstab does he just anally rape the opponent or is it less grotesque?

Jimmy was the shit. I didn't like his abilities very much but the songs were so awesome!

There once was a maiden from Stoneberry Hollow
She didn't talk much but boy did she swallow.
I have a nice lance that she sat upon.
The Maiden from Stoneberry who is also your mom.

The combination of his studdering and the fact that they're little kids singing this stuff just cracks me up.

I've been humming the song all day today.

It's the mic drop at the end. Gets me every time.

I'm right near the end. A certain famous someone just turned up because something needed explaining, and then I had to go to work.

The combat does get very easy. Once you get Kyle his attacks are incredibly overpowered.

I chose Fighter by the way. A fully upgraded Roshambo is very useful while the fights are still tricky, plus kicking someone in the plums is a nice way to start a fight.
Captain of Team Quick Ben. Also teaboy.

#13 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:08 PM

Steep price but I love south park, will probably buy at the weekend.

#14 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 23 March 2014 - 01:24 PM

I finished this game last night and it is simply hilarious beyond compare. Well worth the investment of both time and money.

Spoiler

Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#15 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 23 March 2014 - 01:41 PM

The only real complaints I had about the game was the fart training parts. For some reason it took me like 20 tries each time I had to learn a new form of fart magic. Drove me absolutely insane.

I am curious about peoples choices.

I chose to side with the Elves since everyone knows Cartman is evil and not to be trusted.

Did anyone side with the Human side and how did the story unfold?

Spoilers for the elven story.

Spoiler

#16 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 23 March 2014 - 03:33 PM

View PostApt Hoc, on 23 March 2014 - 01:41 PM, said:

The only real complaints I had about the game was the fart training parts. For some reason it took me like 20 tries each time I had to learn a new form of fart magic. Drove me absolutely insane.

I am curious about peoples choices.

I chose to side with the Elves since everyone knows Cartman is evil and not to be trusted.

Did anyone side with the Human side and how did the story unfold?

Spoilers for the elven story.

Spoiler

I sided with the elves for the same reason, Cartman isn't really the kind of leader who inspires trust, especially since we have 17 seasons confirming our distrust.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#17 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:32 AM

Started playing yestereve.
entertaining so far (in agreement the fart training is frustrating) only up to the bards house, will be sorting that out tonight.

following Cartman, because butters was the first friend I made and he took me to the wizard king. Will play through with the elves after probably.

only beef so far - on pc there's a few little glitches, for example, when trying to shoot the random object that sparkle, you hold down F to get into shoot mode, then left click to fire on your target. But you have to hammer the button like 20/30 times to get it to fire. And awkward item select during battle. But enjoying the ride so far and already a few proper laughing out loud moments.

#18 User is offline   Jakovasaurus 

• Emperor

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:01 PM

I've just started. Well, probably about a few hours or so in. Have you guys ever summoned Jesus? Oh man! Awesome! "Lock and Load"

#19 User is offline   Jakovasaurus 

• Emperor

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:47 PM

I couldn't stop laughing.
Spoiler

#20 User is offline   Jakovasaurus 

• Emperor

Posted 29 March 2014 - 03:41 AM

Mrs. Hankey celebrates Christmas with vodka and muscle relaxers.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users