Malazan Empire: Baen Publisher Makes Strange Post - Internet Responds with Bafflement - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Baen Publisher Makes Strange Post - Internet Responds with Bafflement Discuss

#1 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:29 PM

So, Tori Weisskopf of Baen books made a post that is making the rounds...it's effing bizarre...especially coming from a publisher...and it's not the easiest to dissect as it's wordy and obtuse...but the thrust of it is still...well, bizarre.

Read it here:
http://accordingtoho...toni-weisskopf/

John Scalzi has responded well, summing up the post and his issues with it, here:

http://whatever.scal...ch-of-heinlein/

Discuss.

Personally I'm astonished that a publisher of such a large SFF imprint would drill such a hole in their boat, and seemingly dis-include a whole selection of fandom.

EDIT: Oh and don't wade into the comments on her post...it's a scary place.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 11 March 2014 - 08:32 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2 User is offline   Grief 

• Prophet of High House Mafia
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:45 PM

Seems pretty much like an extension of the case of "fake-nerds" or whatever. Is it reasonable to get annoyed when your clique gets popular and suddenly there are all these other people calling themselves fans but they're not really fans by some definition or other and they're ruining everything? Who knows. It's certainly common enough though. I'm not going to call it totally baseless because I imagine we've all had annoying encounters of the sort. I think it's misattributed though. It's not a case of the annoying fans being faux-fans or whatever, it's just a case of some of them being annoying and then being generalised.

I agree it's a bit of an odd move for the publisher, but at the end of the day, who are they alienating by attacking people who don't buy their books? Maybe they figure the publicity will be worth it. Maybe they're expecting that the people who disagree with them aren't going to care enough to negatively affect sales, but the people who agree with them might positively affect them? Who knows.

Cougar said:

Grief, FFS will you do something with your sig, it's bloody awful

worry said:

Grief is right (until we abolish capitalism).

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users