• You cannot reply to this topic

The Russia Politics and War in Ukraine Thread

#461 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 26 November 2018 - 05:09 PM

Quite naturally, UA's Parliament failed to vote on introducing state of emergency. The next presidential election is slated for end of March, and several factions are concerned that the Pres would try to use this as a smokescreen to delay the elections.

So they blocked the Speaker's podium to prevent the Parliament from functioning. Of course.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#462 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 27 November 2018 - 01:10 AM

View PostMentalist, on 26 November 2018 - 05:09 PM, said:

Quite naturally, UA's Parliament failed to vote on introducing state of emergency. The next presidential election is slated for end of March, and several factions are concerned that the Pres would try to use this as a smokescreen to delay the elections.

So they blocked the Speaker's podium to prevent the Parliament from functioning. Of course.

Reuters has written that Poroshenko is warning of "an extreme threat of land invasion". (and that martial law was declared for 30 days in parts of Ukraine)

With the world virtually ignoring Russia's actions, I wouldn't be surprised if Putin decided that now is indeed the time for a new invasion ...
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#463 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 27 November 2018 - 01:29 AM

View PostEmperorMagus, on 27 November 2018 - 01:10 AM, said:

View PostMentalist, on 26 November 2018 - 05:09 PM, said:

Reuters has written that Poroshenko is warning of "an extreme threat of land invasion". (and that martial law was declared for 30 days in parts of Ukraine)

With the world virtually ignoring Russia's actions, I wouldn't be surprised if Putin decided that now is indeed the time for a new invasion ...

Ukraine's rep @ teh UN noted intel suggest possible assault on Mariupol and Berdyansk- 2 ports in the Azov Sea.

I mean, idealy, VVH wants to control the entire coastline to get a land connection to Crimea. And then to Odessa, to cut UA off from the Black Sea.

Dunno how feasible a land war would be atm. Since Russians would go back to faking "separatist" movements, and the Terrorussian puppets in DNR/LNR have been pretty quiet, as they're trying to gain some legitimacy through the Minsk Agreements.

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 27 November 2018 - 01:29 AM

#464 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 November 2018 - 01:32 PM

I realy need to see a documentary about this. I had thought Russia had pretty much accomplished their objectives and things were settling down..

I'm amazed how little fuss is being made by the international community again. History is filled with example of politicians kicking the can down the road and when finally they have no choice but to pick it up they realize its now ten times as heavy. No one ever learns

#465 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 27 November 2018 - 01:43 PM

View PostCause, on 27 November 2018 - 01:32 PM, said:

I realy need to see a documentary about this. I had thought Russia had pretty much accomplished their objectives and things were settling down..

I'm amazed how little fuss is being made by the international community again. History is filled with example of politicians kicking the can down the road and when finally they have no choice but to pick it up they realize its now ten times as heavy. No one ever learns

The media isn't making much fuss, as things have been relatively static in eastern Ukraine. However, Russia is still under sanctions, and the diplomatic repercussions are still felt. One example being how Russia did not get their candidate approved for the leadership of Interpol.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#466 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 05 January 2019 - 08:24 PM

View PostCause, on 27 November 2018 - 01:32 PM, said:

Russians moved about a million people into Crimea (soldiers, cops, other federal employees), and Crimea doesn't have enough water to sustain them all (the climate away from coast and mountains is steppe, that's being gradually dries up to a desert). They sunk billions into building a bridge, but it's already kinda lopsided- the sea bottom in the kerchen Strait isn't exactly stable.

Basically, Russia needs to push on an annex the northern coast of the Azov Sea to make Crimea viable. Which is obviously a problem for Ukraine, because once that actual, hot war starts, the outcome will be dire.

#467 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 05 January 2019 - 09:10 PM

If Russia annex more of Ukraine is there any chance this will make NATO come to your defense?

I'm still outraged we didn't honor our obligation to you guys after you gave up your nukes

#468 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 05 January 2019 - 11:27 PM

View PostAlternative Goose, on 05 January 2019 - 09:10 PM, said:

If Russia annex more of Ukraine is there any chance this will make NATO come to your defense?

I'm still outraged we didn't honor our obligation to you guys after you gave up your nukes

I strongly doubt. Maybe they'll supply UA with weapons to help them hold off Russia, but getting personally involved? That's basically starting WW3, and I can't imagine anyone (In the West) doing that, no matter what honour, principles and international obligations there might be.

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 05 January 2019 - 11:27 PM

#469 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 06 January 2019 - 04:41 AM

It should start world war 3 or at least threaten it. We're basically watching the slow motion invasion of Poland before the last great war started. Only way to avoid that war is to put our foot down now.

I'm certainly not happy about Putin starting a new arms race either, with new ICBMs and torpedoes. Not to mention the cyberwarfare.

#470 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 06 January 2019 - 05:11 PM

Meanwhile: China successfully clones a monkey and declares its intent to build a weather control machine;
Japanese satellite makes contact with an asteroid.

While someone can't let go of their Cold War beliefs.
(I've been reading some "what was significant this year opinion pieces).

#471 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 06 January 2019 - 05:27 PM

Wait, you're dismissing fears about Russia as cold war thinking, or?

China's espionage is worrying but it doesn't harm outsiders directly directly. Yet. I'm much more fine with China's soft power expansions, than I am with Russia's outright funding of right wing propaganda, democratic sabotage and sabre rattling.

This post has been edited by Alternative Goose: 06 January 2019 - 05:28 PM

#472 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 06 January 2019 - 05:43 PM

View PostAlternative Goose, on 06 January 2019 - 05:27 PM, said:

China's espionage is worrying but it doesn't harm outsiders directly directly. Yet. I'm much more fine with China's soft power expansions, than I am with Russia's outright funding of right wing propaganda, democratic sabotage and sabre rattling.

You obviously don't live near the South China Sea or Taiwan. Hell, they're even pulling shit on the roof of the world near their border with India. Among other places.

China scares me more than Russia. But that could also be because they're closer and far more competent and patient.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#473 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 06 January 2019 - 05:48 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 06 January 2019 - 05:43 PM, said:

You obviously don't live near the South China Sea or Taiwan. Hell, they're even pulling shit on the roof of the world near their border with India. Among other places.

China scares me more than Russia. But that could also be because they're closer and far more competent and patient.

That might be it. If it's not local, China's dirty business might not make it into the news here, where as I am old enough to remember the red scare.

#474 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 06 January 2019 - 07:48 PM

Wait, you're dismissing fears about Russia as cold war thinking, or?

no, I'm attributing VVH's policies to being a KGB fucktard. And that driving his imperialist thinking, may it burn in hell.

Unfortunately, they (the Russian imperialists) always see UA as integral to them "being an empire". Which makes ongoing conflicts kinda inevitable.

China, OTOH, is not only making strides in all kinds of high-tech, but it's also implementing all the power of modern communication and surveillance tech to keep track of its own citizens, further entrenching the stability of its regime.

Russia is an archaic-thinking bear with nukes. China is a technically progressive, slowly uncoiling snake. US is like a narcissistic elephant deep in self-reflection. And EU is... ionno, a geriatric hydra whose heads prefer to argue amongst themselves? I'm kinda losing the metaphor here.

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 06 January 2019 - 07:49 PM

#475 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 06 January 2019 - 09:26 PM

View PostMentalist, on 06 January 2019 - 07:48 PM, said:

no, I'm attributing VVH's policies to being a KGB fucktard. And that driving his imperialist thinking, may it burn in hell.

Unfortunately, they (the Russian imperialists) always see UA as integral to them "being an empire". Which makes ongoing conflicts kinda inevitable.

China, OTOH, is not only making strides in all kinds of high-tech, but it's also implementing all the power of modern communication and surveillance tech to keep track of its own citizens, further entrenching the stability of its regime.

Russia is an archaic-thinking bear with nukes. China is a technically progressive, slowly uncoiling snake. US is like a narcissistic elephant deep in self-reflection. And EU is... ionno, a geriatric hydra whose heads prefer to argue amongst themselves? I'm kinda losing the metaphor here.

The West's only hope is to hope that the "Canadian Dragon" awakens at some point in the next 25 years, I guess? :(

In a more serious vein, I agree that China is far more powerful (and therefore potentially more dangerous) than Russia. Their existing industrial potential, a population base of over 1 billion, and leadership that is relatively competent for an autocracy means that the country can be terrifying if the west is forced to confront them.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#476 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 06 January 2019 - 09:37 PM

View PostEmperorMagus, on 06 January 2019 - 09:26 PM, said:

The West's only hope is to hope that the "Canadian Dragon" awakens at some point in the next 25 years, I guess? :p

Sorry, but I just had a mental image of an extremely polite dragon that says "eh" a lot and breathes maple syrup instead of fire. :(

... aaaand back to topic ...

I'm fearful of what happens with Russia's cool new weapons (if they're real or close to it) when Russia goes down the shitter again like back in the 90's.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 06 January 2019 - 09:41 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#477 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 07 January 2019 - 05:56 AM

View PostTsundoku, on 06 January 2019 - 09:37 PM, said:

The West's only hope is to hope that the "Canadian Dragon" awakens at some point in the next 25 years, I guess? :p

Sorry, but I just had a mental image of an extremely polite dragon that says "eh" a lot and breathes maple syrup instead of fire. :(

I'm fearful of what happens with Russia's cool new weapons (if they're real or close to it) when Russia goes down the shitter again like back in the 90's.

Which is why the West will actually end up bending over backwards to keep them intact. Cuz no one wants the headache of a splintering country with so many high-tech weapons (and nukes) circulating relatively loosely.

It's fundamentally unfair, but it's the only really practical thing to do, so I can't even feel really angry about it. It's more of a tired exasperation.

And don't you joke about our polar bear. When the time comes it will (very politely) hoard most of the fresh water in the Western hemisphere. Since only winter-proof Canadians will be able to reside in the extreme weather conditions, they won't even need walls.

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 07 January 2019 - 05:58 AM

#478 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 07 January 2019 - 07:51 AM

A United Scandinavian Empire, ruled from Oslo by benevolent Norsemen.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#479 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 07 January 2019 - 08:55 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 07 January 2019 - 07:51 AM, said:

Charles II of Sweden wants a word.

RE: China, I play Girls' Frontline, a Chinese mobile gacha game based on guns becoming waifus. Now, bear with me, this is relevant to the discussion at hand.

In one map of a recent event on the Chinese server, a staff member stuck a message in which effectively translated to "we're stuck here, please help us". And there's a lot of speculation that it's because of all the surveillance. To say that message was somewhat disturbing is an understatement.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#480 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 07 January 2019 - 11:40 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 07 January 2019 - 07:51 AM, said:

If it's going to be ruled from Oslo or Stockholm, I'm afraid that the Danes cannot agree to such a union.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

Share this topic:

• 99 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users