Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Question on timeline

#1 User is offline   Anommandaris 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:32 AM

Hi guys i have a question about the timeline of the first part of the book as it relates to the previous books. I am currently on chapter 14. The questions is: how can feather witch say that the beast hold has fained twin rulers (pretty sure togg and fanderey) when the tuste havent yet gone looking for the throne. When it happens in memories of ice, there us already an emperor of the edur? There are even more issues when you see that the sword commissioned by CG was only commissioned in 1159 burn sleep, when for instance we know that is more or less when Karsa finds the silandra and kills the tiste edur on board.

Kinda confused wuth all this. Granted, not very important but still

#2 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:46 PM

First off, ignore all the stated dates at the start of books/chapters, like

1159 Year of Burn's Sleep
Last Year of the Seventh Closure

Those sorts of things. Erikson himself has said that those mess things up a bit and to disregard them for better reading comprehension.

Other than that, a lot of Tiles/Deck readings can be considered prophecy of possible/probable events for the future, even if the reader speaks of things in the present or past tense. The Tiles can use current events to predict the likely future events, and then show the caster the future events as if the caster were seeing them from the present. Divination is weird like that, but it's not so different from the way some supposed oracles from our own cultural pasts would have tried to predict the future (having "visions" of the future, where in that vision they are there in that future).

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#3 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 21 February 2014 - 05:11 PM

Drek is totally correct, but ...

View PostAnommandaris, on 21 February 2014 - 11:32 AM, said:

Hi guys i have a question about the timeline of the first part of the book as it relates to the previous books. I am currently on chapter 14. The questions is: how can feather witch say that the beast hold has fained twin rulers (pretty sure togg and fanderey) when the tuste havent yet gone looking for the throne.

I believe it was the Empty Hold, not the Beasties, that found two Rulers, and that's a ref to Shadow and Cots and ST's takeover.

There's another ref to two wolves sitting near the Beast Throne.

When it happens in memories of ice, there us already an emperor of the edur?

Rhulad has ascended and sent his Edur out seeking challengers and Thrones as or the point in MoI where Paran and co found the drowned Edur, yes.

There are even more issues when you see that the sword commissioned by CG was only commissioned in 1159 burn sleep, when for instance we know that is more or less when Karsa finds the silandra and kills the tiste edur on board.

Not exactly...

Events in MT take place before events in GotM/DG/MoI.
Karsa's story at the beginning of HoC takes place more or less around the same time, but AFTER Rhulad has sent his Edur out, the Edur have encountered the Malazans and both fleets ended up in the Nascent.

Plus Karsa encounters the Silanda inside the Nascent, and time is wholly screwed up in there to begin with even before you get to the fact that we get various events out of sequence (like Felisin and co finding the Silanda in DG but Karsa killing its crew in HoC... point being warrens can mess up time and this shows up a few times in the books.

...and if all else fails, just remember, the timeline is not important repeat the timeline is not important repeat the timeline is not important repeat the timeline is not....
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users