• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Penny Dreadful

#21 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 05 May 2016 - 03:19 AM

Solid premiere.I'm a little worried about the storylines being too disconnected, but they usually (usually usually) manage to avoid that. Mostly.
SPOILERS
SPOILERS

Vanessa was a serious mess, but it was worth it for Lyle's visit... Love that guy. Am curious to see where they go w the alienist.
And Dracula. Finally, finally, Dracula. Nicely done intro w Renfield and the less feral vamps than S1.
Malcolm' s scenes were beautifully shot and fought. I think it's a little ridiculous that he just finished burying the token ethnic character and another one showed up, but whatever, I like how it ties to Ethan's plot.
Ethan... That was a great start, and as usual the shows cinematography treats even New Mexico beautifully. I liked that they kept Detective Rusk in the story and gave him a new redshirt I mean sidekick.
Frankenstein... Meh his whole woe is me drugs and misery thing got old last season, but full points for his new partner in mad science. Am VERY curious to see their take on Dr Jekyll.
Frankenmonster... That was a surprisingly dark turn. Please just let him whine less...the returning memory storyline could go either way.
No Dorian and Lily but that's fine, looking fwd to what those two are up to.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#22 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 07 June 2016 - 01:43 AM

Drac is a physical demon, Luci is ... Soul something something. Probably Drac is more intimidating in person while Luci is or was more subtle.
I still worry about the disconnect between plotlines, but I'm enjoying the hell out of this season so far.

#23 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 16 June 2016 - 04:03 AM

These last two eps have been fucking amazeballs. I love this show so much.Even with virtually every major development being utterly predictable, they manage to make it work so well, the actors/ characters sell it so hard, im so drawn in that i just dont care.

I like Cat the Thanatologist, think she's an original character. Maybe a little too obvious a foil to Vanessa's darkness and Lily's venegfulness, but fun.

Quite the bloodbath at the Chandler ranch. Too bad about Hecate, she was growing on me. I knew Sir Malcolm would be th one to pull the trigger, but even so, nicely done.

Dorian and Lily went the obvious route... A little dissappointimg that it went so prdictable with Dorian getting bored and turning to avictor, but hey, fuckit... Its Dorian Gray and Dr Frankenstein and Dr Jeckyl comspiring tmbrainwach the Bride of Frankenstein and its why i love this show so so much.

Of course Drac managed to win Vanessa over at least temporarily, but Kay's vision guarantees it wont last. Still, ive been enjoying this take on Dracula.

#24 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 16 June 2016 - 03:52 PM

John's story wasa nice change, but i foresee some dark stuff coming when his son's tuberculosis gets worse. And i just realize his initials are JC. Hee.
Keep in mind this Dracula is a fallen angel, not a mere vampire. Luci had reason to be worried since is the 'soul' devil while Drac is the physical one.
In theory Dorian can only be hurt by damage to the painting, but depending on what variation, he could be ageless but vulnerable, or genuinely otherwise immortal. Since he got his sex on with Brona when she was sick and more or less licked her blood and didnt get sick, so likely the latter.

#25 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 20 June 2016 - 08:14 PM

I totally was super busy the last three weeks 70 hr + weeks (EMT refresher,etc)..this weekend was FREE!!!

So i totally wasted away...and binged watched the 1st two seasons. Really awesome show...probably made it into my top 5...

silicon valley, GOT, TWD, Vikings...this.

This post has been edited by Nicodimas: 20 June 2016 - 08:15 PM

-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#26 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • very good...;)

Posted 20 June 2016 - 08:36 PM

Showtime just confirmed that Season 3 was the last season of Penny Dreadful.

Penny dreadful ending after 3 seasons

:)
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#27 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 24 June 2016 - 04:35 PM

I'm mixed on it as a series finale.

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

ENTIRE SHOW AND SERIES FINALE SPOILERS

While the individual storylines were fun for the most part, the utter lack of crossover really hurt the season. Victor and Creature each had one pep chat with Vanessa, and Vic just happens to show up in time to get his ass kicked by Dracula along w everyone else. That was pretty much the entirety of how the main Vanessa storyline crossed with the two secondary ones. Weak.

Dorion did what he's done every season - got bored, killed a woman. Did not change.

Weak. Lilly was fascinating but ultimately ineffective and had to throw herself on the mercy of Victor.

Nothing in particular came of Dr Jeckyl, which was really frustrating because he seemed to be building to something really interesting and I liked his byplay with Victor.

John/Creature rediscovered his life just in time for it to end. Predictable. Weak. But points for him not carrying his son to Victor.

Vanessa suddenly gives up hope and yields to Drac, then changes her mind apparently offscreen and convinces Ethan to execute her. Poorly set up, especially after all her research and plotting to kill him. Weak.

Ethan and Malcom's storyline was strong and I have no complaints other than the lack of overlap with the other storylines.

I liked Cat and Dr Seward as additions to the cast.

As a finale, it was... ok. Not what it could have been and I wish it was. Satisfying enough, but given that the season was going strong but failed to stick the landing, it will leave a bit of a bitter taste in the headpartz.

#28 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 02 November 2018 - 02:17 AM

Weirdness...
https://io9.gizmodo....tm_campaign=top
...new show, set in LA in the 1930s.

The. Fuck?

#29 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 02 November 2018 - 03:46 AM

Could be, but the vibe I get per the article is someone stuck ‘penny dreadful’ on the title of something else entirely. See also Caprica iirc.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users