• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Subterranean Press Announces House of Chains

#1 User is offline   TaxManATX 

• Corporal
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:53 PM

Received the email below earlier today. New artist and it sounds like they're already fairly far into the process of getting book four ready. Good news!

We're happy to announce House of Chains, the fourth volume of Steven Erikson's the Malazan Book of the Fallen. This time out, we're joined by a new artist, Sam Burley, whose work falls nicely into the range of Michael Komarck, who helmed volume one, and J. K. Drummond, who provided the illustrations for volumes two and three.

House of Chains is fully designed, needing to be proofed only once more, and, best of all, the artwork is already half done. You can check out one of Sam's interior illustrations on the book's product page.

Please note that we're only able to offer Free US shipping for the first few days this title is up for preorder.

About Our Edition:

Collectors note: You may only order the corresponding limited or lettered edition if you own Memories of Ice, the previous book in the series.

Collectors note #2: The exclusive preorder period for House of Chains ends March 31, 2014. We'll send out a newsletter opening the title to the public after that date.

Subterranean Press is proud to announce the fourth volume of The Malazan Book of the Fallen. We're working with a new artist, Sam Burley, on this volume in the series.

The numbered edition will:

• Be printed on 80# Finch paper, guaranteeing a lifetime of enjoyment
  • Be illustrated with a number of full color interior illustrations
The lettered edition will include everything in the numbered, plus the following features:

• A completely different dust jacket
  • A gatefold pull-out illustration
  • A custom traycase to protect your book
Limited: 500 numbered copies, hardcover, signed by the author: $150
Lettered: 52 copies, deluxe bound, signed by author, housed in a custom traycase: $325

#2 User is offline   Overactive Imagination 

• High Fist

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:42 AM

Cool. Is that a K'Chain Chemalle on the cover? Didn't remember any of those being in HoC.

#3 User is offline   dazbogdan 

• Recruit

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:26 AM

View PostOveractive Imagination, on 18 February 2014 - 09:42 AM, said:

Cool. Is that a K'Chain Chemalle on the cover? Didn't remember any of those being in HoC.

That my friend is a hound.
Fucking dragons

#4 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:20 PM

Took me a minute as well to realize that it's not a KCCM but a Deragoth. But is Karsa supposed to be cutting through something? The Whirlwind?

#5 User is offline   dazbogdan 

• Recruit

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:27 PM

View PostSussex Months, on 18 February 2014 - 01:20 PM, said:

Took me a minute as well to realize that it's not a KCCM but a Deragoth. But is Karsa supposed to be cutting through something? The Whirlwind?

That my best guess as well, i mean the cover picture doesn't need to show a true moment of the story but to get our imagination flowing. I'm still not down with that being Karsa, well only if a it is a visual trick, if Karsa is a lot bigger then normal humans then the Deragoth (or whitey bitey as i like to call them) is enormous.

This post has been edited by dazbogdan: 18 February 2014 - 01:28 PM

Fucking dragons

#6 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:35 PM

They are enormous. Also, artistic license.

Loving Tavore's illustration there. Not quite the same what I was visualizing, but true to source material.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#7 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:14 PM

Karsa? I assumed that was Kalam penetrating the Whirlwind.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#8 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:59 PM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 18 February 2014 - 04:14 PM, said:

Karsa? I assumed that was Kalam penetrating the Whirlwind.

I guess that's possible, I did think he looked a bit lean for Karsa. I just see "House of Chains" and immediately think "Karsa."

#9 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:02 PM

The weapon looks a bit too sword-ish IMO to be Kalam. L'oric would be a tenuous but feasible possibility if we're keeping it to characters who encountered the Deragoth. Also possibly Onrack in the Nascent, though he looks a bit too whole for that.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#10 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:19 PM

Why don't you guys just go on his Facebook page and ask him? I'm sure he'd love to defend his composition from the likes of some rabid forumites who know how many warts are on the nose of every last Imass, both pre- and post-Ritual.
HiddenOne. You son of a bitch. You slimy, skulking, low-posting scumbag. You knew it would come to this. Roundabout, maybe. Tortuous, certainly. But here we are, you and me again. I started the train on you so many many hours ago, and now I'm going to finish it. Die HO. Die. This is for last time, and this is for this game too. This is for all the people who died to your backstabbing, treacherous, "I sure don't know what's going on around here" filthy lying, deceitful ways. You son of a bitch. Whatever happens, this is justice. For me, this is justice. Vote HiddenOne Finally, I am at peace.

#11 User is offline   Gabriel Chase 

• Gadrobi Rot Farmer
  • Interests:Art Black Metal Books
    Boxing Chess Music
    Noise Painting Poetry Poker
    Salsa Dancing Speedrunning Steampunk
    Visual Kei

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:21 PM

I also assumed it to represent Karsa Orlong.
لا إلــــــــــــــــــــــــه

#12 User is offline   dazbogdan 

• Recruit

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:35 PM

View PostHiddenOne, on 18 February 2014 - 08:19 PM, said:

Why don't you guys just go on his Facebook page and ask him? I'm sure he'd love to defend his composition from the likes of some rabid forumites who know how many warts are on the nose of every last Imass, both pre- and post-Ritual.

Oh there is nothing to defend. It is a great visualization of the Malazan world, it is just us nit picking it out of love. And most of them don't have warts...they have lovely smooth dried skin to make Hood jealous .

This post has been edited by dazbogdan: 18 February 2014 - 08:35 PM

Fucking dragons

#13 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:03 PM

View PostHiddenOne, on 18 February 2014 - 08:19 PM, said:

Because he hasn't been active on it since September 2013?
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#14 User is offline   Jade Raven 

• Corporal

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:28 AM

It's obviously Onrack in the Nascent. I mean we've seen this before.
Spoiler

This new cover is just set soon after when Onrack shatters one of the statues with his sword and a Deragoth pops out

Amiright?

This post has been edited by Jade Raven: 22 February 2014 - 10:29 AM

I am an Admin at the Malazan Wiki. [ malazan.wikia.com ]

#15 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:39 AM

not as good as Komarck but heaps better than wassername - I will be picking this one up ;)

#16 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:49 AM

View PostJade Raven, on 22 February 2014 - 10:28 AM, said:

It's obviously Onrack in the Nascent. I mean we've seen this before.
Spoiler

This new cover is just set soon after when Onrack shatters one of the statues with his sword and a Deragoth pops out

Amiright?

It's Trull in the Nascent. See shaved head. It's when he tries to protect Onrack from the two hounds that escape after Onrack shatters their statues. Can't remember if a sword is involved, but it's definitely Trull. An interesting choice for a cover, I have to say. But now that I've figured out who/what it is, I actually like it. Still, the hound looks like a T-Rex to me.

This post has been edited by Puck: 22 February 2014 - 11:56 AM

Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#17 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 22 February 2014 - 06:14 PM

I think it's one of those giant winter weasels we keep hearing about on the "news". Global warming this, giant winter weasel that. Puh-leaaaze!
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#18 User is offline   Overactive Imagination 

• High Fist

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:54 AM

It does look like a hound now that I put my face right up against my screen.

Who is that and what is happening in the most recent image posted? I really need to re-read these books

http://subterraneanp...house_of_chains

#19 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 23 February 2014 - 04:17 AM

It's likely Andarist.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#20 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:44 PM

But...but Andarist has black hair!

(Right?)
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users