Malazan Empire: Simeons "Random Thoughts as he reads BAB" Thread - Malazan Empire

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Simeons "Random Thoughts as he reads BAB" Thread All comers welcome

#1 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:48 AM

So,

I am reading Blood and Bone for the first time as part of my whole series reread, and I thought I would make a thread to ask questions or make comments as I go. I did browse this thread but nothing seemed like it would give me the answers I needed without spoilers.

If it is a case of RAFO let me know and I will state where I am up to for spoilers purposes.

Firstly, the thaumaturgs. Are they the dudes that Traveller, Ereko et al come across when they get to the dolmens in ROTCG? They seem pretty douchey so far (I haven't found out yet how they "create" those yakshaka guys but it seems pretty horrendous). Also their magic seems different to what we know but then I haven't seen them use it much. Is it still Warren based?

Is it me or does K'azz seem pretty lame? Dunno, just doesn't seem like much of a figure to have inspired the vow. Haven't worked out yet who or what the people who have some from Ardata are...

What the dickens is going on at the Dolmens with Spite? The two makes (Murk & Sour) seem pretty ineffectual and did they just leave her when whatever they were looking at in the Dolmens got her? Is that another piece of the Crippled God like the Lady was in Stonewielder? And how does that then fit in with the events of TCG? I assume time line wise that this novel takes place around the same time as those events?

Finally- and this is where I am now up to - the Seguleh who has come to the QOD in Tali is that the same one who escaped from Lether at the end of RG? Thanks chaps.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#2 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:07 PM

View PostTiste Brent Not Abyss Weeks Simeon, on 17 February 2014 - 11:48 AM, said:

Firstly, the thaumaturgs. Are they the dudes that Traveller, Ereko et al come across when they get to the dolmens in ROTCG? They seem pretty douchey so far (I haven't found out yet how they "create" those yakshaka guys but it seems pretty horrendous). Also their magic seems different to what we know but then I haven't seen them use it much. Is it still Warren based?

I wouldn't exactly call it spoilers, it's pretty obvious they are. If you thought so and needed confirmation, here it is. Not much important to the plot anyway. Mostly.
As for their magic - independant of warrens. For details, RAFO.

Is it me or does K'azz seem pretty lame? Dunno, just doesn't seem like much of a figure to have inspired the vow. Haven't worked out yet who or what the people who have some from Ardata are...

He's kind of a letdown to me too. As for the second part, I don't understand the question.

What the dickens is going on at the Dolmens with Spite? The two makes (Murk & Sour) seem pretty ineffectual and did they just leave her when whatever they were looking at in the Dolmens got her? Is that another piece of the Crippled God like the Lady was in Stonewielder? And how does that then fit in with the events of TCG? I assume time line wise that this novel takes place around the same time as those events?

I don't even remember tbh. That whole arc just flew right past me.

Finally- and this is where I am now up to - the Seguleh who has come to the QOD in Tali is that the same one who escaped from Lether at the end of RG? Thanks chaps.

I.... don't know. Honestly. It might be in the book, might not, I'm kind of confused.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#3 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:14 PM

The Thaumaturgs power does not seem to be directly magic based, all though there is probably some kind of mind of body sort of Mocra going on. Mostly it seems to be an extreme form of self-dicipline and mental understand of how their bodies work.

Yes, Kazz is generally just a super disappointment through out the series. There's probably a reason for why he is as he is but Esslemont is really fucking tightlipped about the Avowed.

It is a piece of the CG like the Lady but different. As for Spite RAFO but it was a very powerful trap/chaining.

My mind is drawing a blank on the Seguleh. I don't think it was the one from Lether but maybe have been one of the Seguleh mentioned in OST.

#4 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:05 PM

Just started my first read of Blood and Bone as well :p

Look forward to reading this thread alongside it!

#5 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:24 PM

Gothos I meant to say who have come from Ardata - there is a line where the woman (Rutana I think) is speaking to Shimmer & says something about "you humans" suggesting that they (the people who called upon K'azz to deal with Skinner) are not human. Who or what they are is what I haven't worked out yet.

Re: the Seguleh, Ina, it doesn't seem really to matter whether she was in RG or not I was just wondering as her mask is nearly plain (obviously indicating a high rank.

Egwene feel free to chip in with thoughts & questions of your own I find it helps to discuss points (and this time I don't have the TOR reread to help as they haven't got there yet...)

This post has been edited by Tiste Brent Not Abyss Weeks Simeon: 17 February 2014 - 03:24 PM

A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#6 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:37 PM

Regarding the emmisaries from Ardatha, lets just say there is a reason why they don't consider themselves human. RAFO.

#7 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:52 PM

This is an interesting possibility. Both fight with twin swords and both are pretty high up.in hierarchy.

From BaB

revealing a sturdy woman in travelling leathers, twin narrow swords at her sides.
But what drove Hannal back one step was the nearly plain white mask at the woman’s face.

From Reaper's gale

Samar Dev saw the Seguleh standing in the middle of the exercise area, a thin-bladed longsword in each gloved hand. Her dark hair hung in greasy strands down her shoulders,

It was wearing plain leather armour that revealed, without question, that it was a woman, and on her face an enamel mask with a modest array of painted sigils. Two swords strapped across her back.

The swords are worn differently (on the sides vs on the back) and the number of marks seem to be different.

#8 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:42 PM

I can't remember what it says about her earlier in RG when they are still on the ships but I seem to remember something about why she was doing it - maybe a mention there of the QoD?
Can't remember either if in OST they mention a Seguleh who left to perform a task for a Goddess or anything. As I said I'm sure it doesn't actually matter in the scheme of things but I just like making those links.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#9 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:44 PM

View PostTiste Brent Not Abyss Weeks Simeon, on 17 February 2014 - 11:48 AM, said:

...And how does that then fit in with the events of TCG? I assume time line wise that this novel takes place around the same time as those events?

RAFO. All will be made clear.

View PostTiste Brent Not Abyss Weeks Simeon, on 17 February 2014 - 03:24 PM, said:

...Re: the Seguleh, Ina, it doesn't seem really to matter whether she was in RG or not I was just wondering as her mask is nearly plain (obviously indicating a high rank.

View Postnacht, on 17 February 2014 - 03:52 PM, said:

This is an interesting possibility. Both fight with twin swords and both are pretty high up.in hierarchy.

From BaB

revealing a sturdy woman in travelling leathers, twin narrow swords at her sides.
But what drove Hannal back one step was the nearly plain white mask at the woman's face.

From Reaper's gale

Samar Dev saw the Seguleh standing in the middle of the exercise area, a thin-bladed longsword in each gloved hand. Her dark hair hung in greasy strands down her shoulders,

It was wearing plain leather armour that revealed, without question, that it was a woman, and on her face an enamel mask with a modest array of painted sigils. Two swords strapped across her back.

The swords are worn differently (on the sides vs on the back) and the number of marks seem to be different.

I didn't think they were the same.
Plus the RG Seguleh was pretty hardcore Segulish, while the BaB one willingly follows a god, which in theory runs contrary to the Agatii way of life.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#10 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:07 PM

Willingly? Or is it another Lady Envy type thing?

Having said that it doesn't seem God's style (whereas it is very much Envys...)
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#11 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:08 PM

Oh and another thought: Grey Ghost/Warleader = Kallor?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#12 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:08 PM

View PostTiste Brent Not Abyss Weeks Simeon, on 17 February 2014 - 05:07 PM, said:

Willingly? Or is it another Lady Envy type thing?

Having said that it doesn't seem God's style (whereas it is very much Envys...)

At the point you're at that's how i took it. Otherwise RAFO.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#13 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:45 AM

View PostTiste Brent Not Abyss Weeks Simeon, on 17 February 2014 - 03:24 PM, said:

Egwene feel free to chip in with thoughts & questions of your own I find it helps to discuss points (and this time I don't have the TOR reread to help as they haven't got there yet...)

Thanks. Was going to mention the 'you humans' bit but you beat me to it. I do wonder who they are... hmmm... writing this... wonder if it is Ardata herself...

I am a bit behind you in the reading... have only just got to the bit where Spite gets trapped. Loved it! I wonder how much the two mages knew about the whole thing in advance... They don't exactly hang around and ponder what to do with the loot. Who are they anyway...

And the mercaneries... even without Murk's ponderings, the description of their interactions screams Malazan regulars. ICE neatly captures the tone there. I do wonder if I should know them under different names....

Enjoying the action so far but hoping for a few more familiar faces to turn up.

#14 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:25 PM

Spite: [I'm a celebrity] GET ME OUT OF HERE!!!!!

Skinner :p

Spite: :p

Egwene: LOL

#15 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:29 PM

I really wanted her to just punch him into the stratosphere.

#16 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:48 PM

Yes, but the image of here screeching like a celebrity in the jungle during the bushtucker trial was great, don't you think?

#17 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:01 PM

I think an image of Skinner doing his best Team Rocket impression would have been much more satisfying.

#18 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:14 PM

LOL... someone ought to paint that scene... with the alternative ending!

#19 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:37 PM

Team Disavowed blasting off again! :p
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#20 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:58 PM

Talking about Disavowed...

I am editing stuff onto Wikia as I go along and entering the name 'Sour' it comes up as already been taken by a mage in the Crimson Guard?! I assume that they are two different persons... or are they? There is that bit where Murk ponders that his old teacher will never forgive him for joining the enemy... HELP!!! Any clarification on those two guys greatly appreciated (but maybe spoiler proof for OP) Thanks :p

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users