• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dan Simmons : Olympus

#1 Guest_Jay Tomio_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 24 June 2005 - 01:12 AM

*still waiting for his copy* Posted Image

Been anticipating this one the moment I finished 'Ilium'.

#2 Guest_Alric seVinta_*

Posted 23 June 2005 - 06:53 AM

I managed to get my hands on an Advanced Review Edition of the book, and I posted a full review on another website, but I can always copy and paste:

At long last, I've finished Dan Simmons' yet to be released Olympos, the conclusion to 2003's Ilium. Heck, I've been setting myself up to be a book reviewer simply to be able to get this book early, which it turned out to be my first Advanced Review Edition. So, here it goes:

Olympos by Dan Simmons is a massive book, both in size and scope. At the end of Ilium, war had truly been joined, war between the Gods and the Greek and Trojan heroes. War was coming to the old-style humans, or so promised Odysseus.

The book starts 8 months after the previous book ends. Changes have come to the characters and the settings. Simmons adds new PoVs from characters we're already familiar with, and he adds, or increases roles of, several other characters. War has come, has been earnestly joined by all levels of people and beings. Fighting between man and man has grown to all out warfare between the powers behind the gods.

Simmons has delivered a novel with an even larger scope, more action and entertaining developments than his previous novel. The story interesting and complex, and there are stories and histories behind the obvious. In these ways, Olympos is a glorious success of a novel and conclusion to an excellent beginning.

If you are at all familiar with Simmons' other works, Olympos reminds me most closely of The Fall of Hyperion in the style and tone of the narration. This is the book where the deeper issues and questions come more to the forefront. As usual, Simmons' is writing a tale about self-discover, or rediscovery, a what is it to be human story. He once again uses Shakespeare, Homer, Proust, Keats, Milton, as well as a host of other literary influences and direct involvements to work through his themes of art, genius, self-determination, self-destruction, and life.

The scenes, emotions, characters and constructs are for the most part excellent. The book will have readers at the edge of their seats, flipping pages late into the night... and feeling good about it.

Olympos isn't perfect though. I trust that some of the textual errors will be cleaned up as I was reading an uncorrected proof, a text that hasn't passed final edit yet. However, I think the story in Olympos was too big at times for what Simmons' was attempting to tell. I think the result is a few superfluous and wasted PoVs, a further fragmentation of some plot elements and climatic scenes, and a few too obvious places where Simmons', as the storyteller, editorializes on politics, philosophy and current trends. Oh, there is also somewhat more sex and sexuality at display here, which sometimes is more than fitting and sometimes... somewhat odd. If you're reading closely, these things occasionally stick out.

Olympos also managed to surprise me in good ways. Simmons' depth and scope of creative imagination, as well as his ability to pull and combine elements of literature and philsophy, rise to an entirely new level in this novel, in this two book series as a whole. Some of the characterization, especially in scenes of extreme suspense or action, is truly amazing. I also rather enjoyed his envisioning of earth and humanity millenia in the future in a way that had both aspects of plausibility as well and meaningful and somewhat understandible aspects of creative history, growth, war, etc. Another aspect that I enjoyed was the way that Simmons plays and harnesses different narrative styles and PoV approaches to give readers a different relationship to different story arcs and characters.

The ending... well the ending is interesting. Simmons' leaves the story like he leaves most stories, still in progress. He certainly ties up a great many of the plot elements, satisfactorily too, but not all of them. There is still some doubt, life continues and so does the eternal struggle. You'll just have to read it to find out.

All in all, I certainly recommend this novel, and Ilium before it, as a must read for any speculative fiction fan. Personally, I don't think the book is as strong as Ilium, either in total plotting or some specific characterization, but i think the two book combination is the best that Simmons has published to date. However, I'm fairly certain that some people will claim this novel to be Simmons' best, and I think they'd be justified in that opinion.

Olympos by Dan Simmons

#3 User is offline   Dagger 

• Interloper
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 23 June 2005 - 10:07 AM

I read the Hyperion series and loved it. But I have yet to touch Ilium, mostly because my background in Greek mythology is so weak. Is that really going to hinder me?
"I can see my days of not taking you seriously are coming to a middle." - Mal Reynolds

#4 Guest_FizbansTalking_Hat_*

Posted 22 June 2005 - 06:01 PM

Ooooh man I need to swing by the bookstore soon, its already OUT!!! Ilium was amazing and for those that have read the Hyperion Cantos, you know he doesn't dissapoint, man I can't wait.....Thanks for letting me know its out, cheers.

#5 Guest_Jay Tomio_*

Posted 07 July 2005 - 12:03 AM

I finished the other, day - this is a terrific 2 book set. I have read a couple of reviews citing disappointment - I'm not sure I agree, ay any rate I will probablyreview the novel, so to be short - anotehr strong offering from Simmons IMHO, but that's nothing new.

#6 User is offline   Dagger 

• Interloper

Posted 25 June 2005 - 02:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Oponn:
The short answer dagger? No, not at all I think. You'll be just as confused as people clued into Greek mythology Posted Image (perhaps less so actually).

Because I'm a cheapie I'll wait for it to come out in mass-market paperback.

Thanks. I'll buy both then when Olympus hits mmp. Simmons is an amazing writer, he can also write some truly creepy horror books.
"I can see my days of not taking you seriously are coming to a middle." - Mal Reynolds

#7 Guest_cardcrafter_*

Posted 03 July 2005 - 12:32 PM

Well, I just read Ilium and Olympos, they were amazing books, awesome... I love the way he can blend literary greats, shakespeare, keats, etc into a science fiction novel, where atfirst you dont believe they belong at all. Personally, I preferred Ilium to Olympos... probably cause I felt that the ending of Olympos was too rushed.. atleast, after Ilium and the start of Olympos, year gaps at a time didnt feel right. Anyways, they were great reads.

#8 Guest_bluesman_*

Posted 22 June 2005 - 02:43 PM

Ok so it's out. Time for reviews and opinions Posted Image. I bought it today but have yet to start it.

Was the conclusion satisfactory? And put together how does this duology compare with the previous masterpieces. Illium by itself is outstanding (while a bit tough in the start to understand).

BM

#9 Guest_allwilldie_*

Posted 23 June 2005 - 10:16 AM

The short answer dagger? No, not at all I think. You'll be just as confused as people clued into Greek mythology Posted Image (perhaps less so actually).

Because I'm a cheapie I'll wait for it to come out in mass-market paperback.

#10 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 23 June 2005 - 08:04 AM

Is it out in trade paperback, or just hardback? I must buy itPosted Image
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#11 Guest_Edge_*

Posted 17 July 2005 - 11:37 AM

Enjoyable, although not as good as Illium.

Simmons gets through a staggering amount of concepts and the book is huge in scope, maybe just too huge.

Definitely worth reading.

#12 User is offline   Asheroth 

• High Fist

Posted 18 December 2005 - 02:36 AM

Just finished this and thought I'd bump it.

This is an awesome duology, but I must admit that the ending left me somewhat bemused. I mean,

[spoiler] Setebos the many-handed as a cuttlefish just ups and leaves, quaking in his metaphorical gloves, not having done anything much except lay a whole heap of Setebos eggs and coat Paris Crater and a couple of other nodes in blue ice? Who is the Quiet? Why is Setebos so bloody terrified of him? Why the hell did Moira and Prospero send Harman across the Atlantic Breach? Where are the voynix from and why are they scared of Setebos? Just how much of the post-humans-turning-into-gods thing is Prospero responsible for and why did he do it? What happened with the rubicon virus? Why isn't Sycorax more than just a cheaply-disguised plot device? Why isn't the spoiler tag working properly?

I want answers, dammit!

#13 User is offline   Roland 

• High Fist

Posted 18 December 2005 - 10:20 AM

There aren't any... The book was a HUGE dissapointment. Everything in Illium that could go wrong here, did. All those plot-twists we were all expecting, came EXACTLY the way we ex[pected them and hoped they WOULDN'T. Thousands of loose ends... and what for? I was better off having read only Illium :)

#14 Guest_David Forbes_*

Posted 18 December 2005 - 11:42 PM

I will add my disappointment in this book. I thought most of Ilium was great, but this was just a huge mess. Why did Odysseus and what's-her-face disable the force field that was protecting the sub with the black-hole nukes? It's been a while since I read it, but that was one of the larger scratch-my-head moments (out of many).

#15 Guest_Osric_*

Posted 21 December 2005 - 04:49 PM

Just read Illium and loved it, too cheap to not wait for paperback editions but this thread is so mixed I don't know what to expect when I finally get it. Is it good or a disaster? The fall of hyperion was weaker then the origional so I'm expecting olympos to be weaker than Illium but how much weaker?

#16 Guest_David Forbes_*

Posted 21 December 2005 - 07:01 PM

In my opinion, a lot. Far worse in comparison to Ilium than The Fall of Hyperion was to Hyperion. But obviously opinions differ widely on this.

#17 Guest_bluesman_*

Posted 22 December 2005 - 12:27 AM

It's sad to read this then. I love everything he's written so far.

I thought that Illium was a bit hard to get into, was even close to giving up due to it's weird premisses. But the book really picked up speed and I thought it was quite fantastic in the end.

If Olympus is this bad then I'll wait until the library has it to read it.

bm

#18 User is offline   Asheroth 

• High Fist

Posted 26 December 2005 - 09:18 AM

Olympos is far from bad. It's just a little irritating that Simmons doesn't tie everything up in a neat bow and hand it to you on a silver platter. The book is still a hugely entertaining read.

#19 User is offline   Roland 

• High Fist

Posted 26 December 2005 - 11:50 AM

Er... no, it's not that. It's that he doesn't tie ANYTHING and worse - doesn't give you clues to figure it out your self. Which is kinda because HE has no idea what he wanted to make...

#20 User is offline   lfex 

• Sergeant

Posted 27 December 2005 - 01:05 PM

I agree that it is far worse than Ilium - I would say it is to Ilium like Endymion books to first Hyperion. Still, Simmons is very skilled writer and Olympos is quite enjoyable read - it is just the resolutions of many subplots don't make very much sense. A pity, since after Ilium it looked like a great series, but Simmons does seem to have trouble with endings.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users