Malazan Empire: Whiskeyjack and Kallor - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Whiskeyjack and Kallor

#1 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:52 AM

MEMORIES OF ICE SPOILERS SPOILERS
It seems that Whiskeyjack's death was brought about by Hood and if not for the knee he could have actually finished Kallor off for good?

"Hood never forgave him for that, and took in the end a most satisfying vengeance, ever turning away a healer's touch when nothing else was needed, when that touch could have changed the world, could have shattered an age-old curse."

Is the QoD referring to Kallor by age old curse?

This post has been edited by Andorion: 16 February 2014 - 12:24 PM

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:32 AM

First of all you want to edit you opening post so that the title doesn't contain any spoilers. Maybe rename it Kallor and Whiskeyjack or Kallor vs Whiskeyjack.

You are right in assuming the age old curse refers to Kallor, how ever it is unlikely that Whiskeyjack would have killed Kallor. He is pretty darn though. You saw him ignoring getting shot twice with crossbow bolts and he shrugged off Tayschrens magical attack. A sword through the chest piercing his heart might have ended him but it's hard to tell.

#3 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:26 PM

Maybe Apt, on 16 February 2014 - 11:32 AM, said:

First of all you want to edit you opening post so that the title doesn't contain any spoilers. Maybe rename it Kallor and Whiskeyjack or Kallor vs Whiskeyjack.

You are right in assuming the age old curse refers to Kallor, how ever it is unlikely that Whiskeyjack would have killed Kallor. He is pretty darn though. You saw him ignoring getting shot twice with crossbow bolts and he shrugged off Tayschrens magical attack. A sword through the chest piercing his heart might have ended him but it's hard to tell.

Thanx for the title suggestion. Done.

I thought it was unlikely too but this statement coming from the QoD... what can kill Kallor? An Eleint? A Jaghut Tyrant? The Deragoth?

#4 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:33 PM

Well, no one has killed him yet so it's hard to tell. Decapitation? Cutting out his heart? Severe brain damage? It's hard to say really. He is for all intents and purposes immortal it would seem.

#5 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:58 AM

Andorion, on 16 February 2014 - 12:26 PM, said:

I thought it was unlikely too but this statement coming from the QoD... what can kill Kallor? An Eleint? A Jaghut Tyrant? The Deragoth?

Being ripped apart and eaten by the Deragoth might do it. That's a nice thought, actually. They'd have to succeed in beating him in a fight, though. Being burned to a cinder might also work. Or getting his shit wrecked with elder sorcery and then his head bitten off by an Eleint. I'd like all of these things to happen, actually.

I think the nature of the curse isn't that he survives mortal wounds so much as things that would be fatal miss their mark just barely enough that he survives. Like he gets hit with crossbow bolts, but somehow they manage to avoid hitting any organs that would cause his death if punctured. Or sorcery isn't aimed quite right and he's only given a glancing blow.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#6 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:14 AM

Kanese S, on 17 February 2014 - 12:58 AM, said:

Andorion, on 16 February 2014 - 12:26 PM, said:

Being ripped apart and eaten by the Deragoth might do it. That's a nice thought, actually. They'd have to succeed in beating him in a fight, though. Being burned to a cinder might also work. Or getting his shit wrecked with elder sorcery and then his head bitten off by an Eleint. I'd like all of these things to happen, actually.

I think the nature of the curse isn't that he survives mortal wounds so much as things that would be fatal miss their mark just barely enough that he survives. Like he gets hit with crossbow bolts, but somehow they manage to avoid hitting any organs that would cause his death if punctured. Or sorcery isn't aimed quite right and he's only given a glancing blow.

I am pretty sure mortal wounds can be delivered. Remember how terrified Kallor got in MoI everytime Brood threatened him with his hammer, Rake with Dragnipur? A powerful ascendant could probably kill him. I am pretty sure Icarium could pulp him.

#7 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:43 AM

Brood's Hammer is a very powerful weapon.

So is dragnipur.

And Icarium is unstoppable.

Kallor is arrogant but he isn't stupid.

#8 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:59 AM

Blood and Bone spoilers below

Spoiler

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#9 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:15 AM

Blood and Bone spoilers.

Spoiler

#10 User is offline   Tarthenal Theloman Toblakai 

• Engineer Extraordinaire!
  • Interests:Engineering, books, films, gaming, gym, running, mountain biking

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:54 PM

I think that the curse can only be broken by the right individual. Kallor's curse is there to make him suffer, hence it being a curse. I think somebody like Whiskeyjack being an absolute legend as he is might well be the right kind of dude to end Kallor. The gods can't really act against Kallor as it isn't their way, and the other ascendants don't really seem to care. He fucks with mortals pretty much exclusively, maybe mortals have to kill him? Difficult no doubt, but doable IMO. The mortals of the Malazan universe are empowered, they have the power to slay gods, to change fate, to forge new and different paths. Maybe we will see, damn I hope we do, I hate Kallor!
"There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail — should we fall — we will know that we have lived." ― Anomander Rake, Son of Darkness

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users