• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2014 Olympics

#81 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:49 PM

Don't disrespect the fierce competitors your broken country has produced in this way, please.

The reason that the segment of Canadians that I belong to with regard to Hockey is that the Americans are the new enemy and they are surging. We know that there will come a time when America will win both gold medals in hockey and we are determined to take full enjoyment of the time between now and then. I know full well that my American counterparts would be the same, if for example this olympic tournament had gone their way, they'd know that they still have a strong and determined enemy who are perhaps more dangerous having suffered this humiliation. Game on, bitches! Let it continue

#82 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:50 PM

Incidentally, British tears (curling-related) are less-tasty ;p

This post has been edited by Malaclypse: 22 February 2014 - 04:50 PM

#83 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User

Posted 22 February 2014 - 05:32 PM

yeah, fair enough, curling is boring to most people - if I hadn't grown up in a curling-mad family I would feel the same. In any case, we're better at it than you and everybody else, even the people who invented it, daft bastards that they may have been ;p

#84 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User

Posted 22 February 2014 - 05:38 PM

Also, as a Winnipegger, we love Teemu Selanne because it became clear in his tenure with the Jets that he was actually a decent human being and it could not be challenged in any way - I met him, he's as genuine as any likeable person you've ever met, not a false bone in his body so I'm extremely pleased that at the age of 43 he's been a part of this indecent thrashing to win the bronze. May he savour it forever.

#85 User is offline   Kaamos 

• EW, SHIPPER
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 22 February 2014 - 06:07 PM

Aaand we have hockey bronze!!! Hyvä Suomi Perkele!!! :p ;)

This post has been edited by Kaamos: 22 February 2014 - 06:09 PM

#86 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 22 February 2014 - 06:46 PM

I don't care much for Hockey. It's just not a big thing in the southeastern US.

We didn't get a team here til 1997(Carolina Hurricanes), but it plays out of Raleigh instead of Charlotte, so I never go. I cared briefly during the 05-06 season when the Hurricanes won the Stanley Cup, but Pro Hockey just isn't big here. And Olympic Hockey is even less popular than Women's High School Volleyball. No one cares.

Curling - the gentleman's game. Right up there with Quartet Singing and ass grabbing. How bad does your life have to be that you take up professional curling.....on purpose.
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#87 User is offline   Kaamos 

• EW, SHIPPER

Posted 22 February 2014 - 06:53 PM

Not caring for hockey in Finland would be like refusing to breathe. When you dwell 13 months per year among ice and blizzards and penguins, you'll learn to appreciate the few sports opportunities available.

#88 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:03 PM

View PostBrujah, on 22 February 2014 - 06:46 PM, said:

I don't care much for Hockey. It's just not a big thing in the southeastern US.

We didn't get a team here til 1997(Carolina Hurricanes), but it plays out of Raleigh instead of Charlotte, so I never go. I cared briefly during the 05-06 season when the Hurricanes won the Stanley Cup, but Pro Hockey just isn't big here. And Olympic Hockey is even less popular than Women's High School Volleyball. No one cares.

Curling - the gentleman's game. Right up there with Quartet Singing and ass grabbing. How bad does your life have to be that you take up professional curling.....on purpose.

So your whole message here is that you don't have any interest in what we're all talking about while sharing some incredibly uninteresting personal details? Or am I missing something?

#89 User is offline   Jakovasaurus 

• Emperor

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:39 PM

I'm rooting for Canada men's hockey so we can see more of this genius.
Posted Image

But, yeah, in general, fuck them canooks.

#90 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:40 PM

I don't understand the rivalry feelings towards the US by Canadians. The general feeling towards Canadians around here is brotherly. I'd pull for Canada to beat any other team save for our own. Canadians aren't even viewed as foreigners. We feel the same way towards Aussies and Brits. Neither could fill the role as a true 'rival,' like for example, the way Russia can.
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#91 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:16 PM

I actually watched the men's curling final and Canada destroyed us. No denying it. I personally find it dull but the commentators were acting like it was the worst thing to happen to the British for a long time. Which actually made it quite entertaining despite the humiliating defeat.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#92 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:23 AM

View PostBrujah, on 22 February 2014 - 08:40 PM, said:

I don't understand the rivalry feelings towards the US by Canadians. The general feeling towards Canadians around here is brotherly. I'd pull for Canada to beat any other team save for our own. Canadians aren't even viewed as foreigners. We feel the same way towards Aussies and Brits. Neither could fill the role as a true 'rival,' like for example, the way Russia can.

It goes both ways. Trust me. #FuckCanada was trending on Twitter Friday morning.

So yeah, not that classy.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#93 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 23 February 2014 - 02:21 PM

Hockey Gold baby! Men's and Women's!

I hate to say it, but this really is OUR game. ;)
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#94 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 23 February 2014 - 10:14 PM

I did like the nod to the technical failure from the opening ceremony...

Posted Image
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#95 User is offline   Stormcat 

• cat of storms
  • Interests:sci fi/fantasy books. WoW.

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:45 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 23 February 2014 - 12:23 AM, said:

View PostBrujah, on 22 February 2014 - 08:40 PM, said:

It goes both ways. Trust me. #FuckCanada was trending on Twitter Friday morning.

So yeah, not that classy.

I am Canadian born and living in the USA. I get teased and ribbed almost on the daily. Most of it is good natured but yeah...

#96 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:30 AM

Ah, that was fun. It's a little sad for it to be over, but at least we had a lot of entertaining television. I realise countries care for different sports and all, but I greatly enjoyed the cross country skiing and the biathlon, as did most Scandinavians I reckon. Not to mention the Russians, who won all three medals in the last, and to many, the most prestigious of the skiing events. Though it was sad to see Norway miss the bronze by a second, the sheer happiness of the Russians was quite touching. I guess my favourite part of the olympics is to see how genuinely happy not only the winners are, but also the silver and bronze medalists. The idea of an olympic spirit is perhaps a bit of a cliché, but it rears its head now and then still.

Also, Norway finished second on the rankings with 11 gold medals to Russia's 13, which is not too shabby for a country of 5 million.

It is sad that the olympics were dirtied by the rather unpleasant policies of Russia, but one can hope that South Korea will do a better job of not being an autocratic regime supressing a variety of minorities.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#97 User is offline   Jakovasaurus 

• Emperor

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:51 PM

We finished second in overall medal count (USA! USA! USA!). So to celebrate, here is the best version of the U.S. national anthem in a long while. You're welcome.

#98 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:27 AM

View PostJakovasaurus, on 24 February 2014 - 11:51 PM, said:

We finished second in overall medal count (USA! USA! USA!).

According to the IOC (they count by Gold medals)...you're 4th homey, behind us.

#99 User is offline   Jakovasaurus 

• Emperor

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:41 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 25 February 2014 - 12:27 AM, said:

View PostJakovasaurus, on 24 February 2014 - 11:51 PM, said:

We finished second in overall medal count (USA! USA! USA!).

According to the IOC (they count by Gold medals)...you're 4th homey, behind us.

Oh snap! My bad! Well, if you eliminate the golds you guys received in curling then we are ahead of you. It's my opinion a "sport" you can play while drinking beer isn't really a sport. But it's officially on the books. Appropriately, I lower the level of quality for the U.S. national athem. Here you go.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users