Malazan Empire: Feeling a little bored with Midnight Tides.... Holy Shit! - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Feeling a little bored with Midnight Tides.... Holy Shit!

#21 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:07 PM

I love these threads.

"bah! What is up with Midnight Tides"

Then....

"I fucking love Midnight Tides!"
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#22 User is offline   Kahlan 

• Recruit

Posted 17 September 2014 - 12:50 AM

Feels a bit like thread necromancy here, but this is where I'm at and no point in starting a new thread just to say the same thing, unless there is a hard and fast rule about posting on 6 month old threads?

I agree totally with others here. Of the 5 I've read, this one took me by far the longest to read. I think I spent 6 weeks reading the first half of this book, and blew through the last half in a week, with the last 25% in about 2 days. Same as others, dropped into a deep pond of "where the hell am I?" Trull Sengar's story in the previous book was not one of the standout storylines so I actually waited about 4 months to even start this book having read a synopsis and knowing it was all new characters with one exception. However, this book did cause me to pick book 4 back up again and re-read through sections of it, particularly Trull's shorning, having not really fully grasped or understood much of it at the time I read it.

As others have said, the story of Tehol and Bugg, and their purposeful misadventures, (Erikson is a model for how to write brilliant dialog) kept me going through this tbh. I often read those bits outloud to my roommate, much to her chagrin. Eventually the other relationships and intertwining story lines began to take shape, and I was hooked!

This post has been edited by Kahlan: 17 September 2014 - 12:52 AM

#23 User is offline   Jaime Lannister 

• Recruit

Posted 17 September 2014 - 02:15 AM

I was pleasantly surprised with this book. I went into it feeling a bit apprehensive - Trull's storyline in HoC got plodding at times and I didn't expect to enjoy his character as thoroughly here as I did. Loved the dynamics between characters, the epic battles and quiet introspection, the incisive exploration of social issues and philosophizing that was seamlessly incorporated into character PoVs etc. etc.

All in all, it loses the top spot for me only to a joint tie between MoI and DG (between which I vacillate constantly)

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users