Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Question on the Tiste

#1 User is offline   Dangerous 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:04 AM

I'm wondering what the major differences are between the Tiste races and humans, aside from the physical (skin colour, height etc). The Andii are very long-living and, especially after GotM and MoI,I presumed they were much stronger, more capable in magic, and generally physically and mentally more proficient than the humans. But the Edur don't seem to be so proficient. The Letherii are militarily a close match to the Edur.

Similiarly, are the Edur as long-lived as their onyx-skinned brethren? Rhulad behaves like a classic bratty teenager in the early parts of this book, but if he's decades, or even hundreds of years old that doesn't really fit. but maybe they mature at a much slower rate? I recall something about courtship taking decades, maybe they are slow developers. Also, how come there aren't any Edur around that were at the sundering/betrayal of Silchas Ruin? The ones that did the massacring?

Finally, they seem to be just as vulnerable to death as humans. I'd assumed they Andii were harder to kill, but I reckon I could even take on an Edur and give him a decent fight. Are the edur weaker than the Andii? Or are all Tiste just basically humans except for their skin, height and lifespan?

Cheers!

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:17 AM

A lot of your questions are hard to answer because we don't have enough observations yet to come to some kind of empirical conclusions about the various Tiste races. The final verdict will probably be in when Erikson finishes the Kharkanas trilogy.

One thing to keep in mind is that the Edur we meet on Lether are a fallen people. They've forgotten who they were and lost their history, culture and technological achievements. Maybe they don't live as long as the Andii or maybe their blood has thinned somehow. From what we see it seems that the Edur are stronger than humans but you have to wonder how much of that advantage just comes down to the fact that the Edur are a head taller than men and probably have some more mass.

Rakes Andii may also be special. It appears that each one of the surviving Andii in Moons Spawn are mages or at least have access to a racial warren. We know this from Korlats talk about them not having combined 1100 or so warrens before. It's something we don't see the Edur display, so maybe they don't have the same power because Kurald Emurhlan was ripped or part, or maybe they forgot and now their warlocks hoard their knowledge.

#3 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:26 PM

The Edur are kind of a grey area.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#4 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:40 PM

Booo!

#5 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:09 PM

Are you saying boo or boo-urns?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#6 User is offline   BellaGrace 

• Witness

Posted 27 October 2014 - 10:04 PM

I have a question about the Tiste Andii - do they all have eyes that change color is just Rake? I've never seen it mentioned about any of them except for Rake.
I, a universe of atoms, an atom in the universe.
Richard P. Feynman

#7 User is offline   zeeshan 

• Recruit

Posted 13 May 2015 - 07:42 AM

Similiarly, are the Edur as long-lived as their onyx-skinned brethren? Rhulad behaves like a classic bratty teenager in the early parts of this book, but if he's decades, or even hundreds of years old that doesn't really fit. but maybe they mature at a much slower rate? I recall something about courtship taking decades, maybe they are slow developers. Also, how come there aren't any Edur around that were at the sundering/betrayal of Silchas Ruin? The ones that did the massacring?<br style="color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19.5px; background-color: rgb(34, 34, 34);">
word blitz saga

This post has been edited by zeeshan: 05 November 2015 - 05:19 AM

aliiiii

#8 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 13 May 2015 - 08:13 AM

The Tiste races will presumably become distinct/divided during the Kharkanas trilogy, but as Apt said, the Edur have fallen far, fleeing their home realm, losing their leader and their connection with their true past. Starting out again in a new realm has left them in a cultural backwater, whereas the Andii, Rakes at least, have been moving and advancing; I can't remember where it's mentioned but he found causes to fight for to keep them going, to give purpose to their long lives.

Rakes eyes change colour, but that is more than likely due to his draconean aspect than a general Tiste thing - it's not mentioned anywhere else.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#9 User is offline   BellaGrace 

• Witness

Posted 13 May 2015 - 03:11 PM

View PostTraveller, on 13 May 2015 - 08:13 AM, said:

Rakes eyes change colour, but that is more than likely due to his draconean aspect than a general Tiste thing - it's not mentioned anywhere else.

I feel like Rake's eyes changing color was something that SE forgot about. It's only ever mentioned in GotM - which is too bad. I liked that.
Richard P. Feynman

#10 User is offline   jonny_anonymous 

• Blind Jester of High House Shadow
  • Interests:Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Comics, Horror, Games, Movies, Reading.

Posted 03 June 2015 - 01:24 PM

The changing eye colour thing is mentioned about other Andii and it is mentioned a bunch more than just in GotM.
“You make worlds, worlds inside your head and worlds outside,
but only the one inside counts for anything.
It’s where you find peace,
acceptance.
Worth.”

#11 User is offline   BellaGrace 

• Witness

Posted 08 June 2015 - 02:54 PM

View Postjonny_anonymous, on 03 June 2015 - 01:24 PM, said:

The changing eye colour thing is mentioned about other Andii and it is mentioned a bunch more than just in GotM.

do you know any specifics? I don't recall seeing it anywhere else
Richard P. Feynman

#12 User is offline   jonny_anonymous 

Posted 08 June 2015 - 04:17 PM

View PostBellaGrace, on 08 June 2015 - 02:54 PM, said:

View Postjonny_anonymous, on 03 June 2015 - 01:24 PM, said:

do you know any specifics? I don't recall seeing it anywhere else

I don't have my books on me but I believe it's mentioned by Whiskeyjack to Korlat in MoI
acceptance.
Worth.”

#13 User is offline   BellaGrace 

• Witness

Posted 09 June 2015 - 12:30 AM

So by "mentioned a bunch more than just in GotM" - you mean maybe once in MoI? ;)

I paid pretty close attention in the books to see if it was mentioned again, but I never saw it. I'm starting a re-read soon so maybe I'll find another reference.
Richard P. Feynman

#14 User is offline   jonny_anonymous 

Posted 10 June 2015 - 04:58 PM

View PostBellaGrace, on 09 June 2015 - 12:30 AM, said:

So by "mentioned a bunch more than just in GotM" - you mean maybe once in MoI? ;)

I paid pretty close attention in the books to see if it was mentioned again, but I never saw it. I'm starting a re-read soon so maybe I'll find another reference.

Well I'm sure there is more, that's just the one I know off the top of my head. It at least confirms that it's more than just Rake who has changing eyes.
acceptance.
Worth.”

#15 User is offline   BellaGrace 

• Witness

Posted 10 June 2015 - 06:01 PM

I've asked several other people about this issue -you're the only one that has ever said it was mentioned again. I'll keep my eyes peeled during the reread I'm starting ;)
Richard P. Feynman

#16 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 10 June 2015 - 08:49 PM

View Postjonny_anonymous, on 08 June 2015 - 04:17 PM, said:

I don't have my books on me but I believe it's mentioned by Whiskeyjack to Korlat in MoI

Recently reread that one, but I cannot recall any passages on eye colour, apart from Rake's.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#17 User is offline   jonny_anonymous 

Posted 11 June 2015 - 07:56 AM

View PostGorefest, on 10 June 2015 - 08:49 PM, said:

View Postjonny_anonymous, on 08 June 2015 - 04:17 PM, said:

Recently reread that one, but I cannot recall any passages on eye colour, apart from Rake's.

All about Korlat:

"...the shade of her eyes deepening to slate grey..." "Her eyes, soft brown..." (this is from GotM)

"Her violet eyes..."

"extraordinary, almond-shaped eyes the colour of sun-bleached grass"

acceptance.
Worth.”

#18 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 21 September 2015 - 07:11 PM

View PostBellaGrace, on 09 June 2015 - 12:30 AM, said:

So by "mentioned a bunch more than just in GotM" - you mean maybe once in MoI? :(

HoC, the part on Drift Availii mentions Darist's eyesn but I don't remember details. May be a good place to look.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#19 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 28 December 2015 - 04:33 AM

View PostBellaGrace, on 27 October 2014 - 10:04 PM, said:

I have a question about the Tiste Andii - do they all have eyes that change color is just Rake? I've never seen it mentioned about any of them except for Rake.

Tiste Andii seem to generally have eyes that change color. Much like their nipples. *nods*
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users